Brand new Opio, 3rd string is where music goes to die

I had a KoAloha Pineapple Soprano and never had any string issues.
You can hear a sound sample of that uke on my youtube page linked in my signature.

Hey Ziret - This thread was sent to me by a customer but I can’t find your email. I had Zach look to and he does emails full time ant this point and he couldn’t find it either. I will call the store when they open and see if they have unchecked messaged. My apologies. You can always call or text me at (808)781-9168 or email andrew@theukulelesite (sorry we are not seeing the previous one!?)

As far as the issue, since it’s a public discussion I’ll let you know here. I just tried a handful of Opio tenors to confirm and it’s that way on them. For almost all of our customers, they love the tone and it’s not an issue. On some level, you build either for volume or sustain. The D# area that is not sustaining is also more punchy so the resonant frequency or overall pitch of the body is causing that to come through stronger for a shorter duration. I know this because if I tune it differently the issue moves to the same frequencies. Tuning down reduces it, and a lighter gauge for that string will reduce it slightly. It happens on some level with pretty much every acoustic instrument but some are more noticeable (usually more projecting/ punchy ones).

You can play with different things inside the body or at the headstock but usually you’ll just move the resonant frequency. It usually ends up somewhere unless you make significant structure changes which will also change the overall tone that you enjoy. One of my personal ukes, an expensive custom built one, is super loud and punchy, but has a few frequencies that just don’t sustain. I love the sound and it doesn’t cause problems for me. I never notice it when just playing and enjoying it, only when checking the notes individually. Most players pick up an Opio and just love the tone and feel and never even hear a problem because it’s not affecting what they are doing. Lots of customers have bought and loved this instrument from us and it sounds just like yours. In fact I can only recall two other people noticing this since we’ve been selling them for the last few years (same thing on the sapele) and many people finding just what they were looking for. So it just depends on the player and generally people don’t have the same criteria. We QC them and set them up to play great but each brand has people that will love them and others that will have issues inherent to their design and sound. We want all our customers to be happy, and have no problem getting it back. If this is an issue for you then I understand and we’ll do whatever you want and work with you to make it a good experience. So just let us know what you’d like to do. I don't normally have time to check in here so please contact me directly. Mahalo.

Thank you, that was just what I wanted to understand. Don't get me wrong, I love how it sounds in general, and I think you guys did a great job setting it up. But to me, it was SUPER spendy and I go back and forth with bouts of guilt, which doesn't even make sense, but there you go. And because it was spendy, I expected--what? I expected it to not have issues that my Kala doesn't have, I guess.

So given what you've told me, I really have to think about it for a while, if possible. In light of that, I'd also like to ask if really, that third string, third fret or thereabouts has virtually no sustain and the surrounding area has very little on all the Opios? If every Opio is that way, it's something to weighs in my decision. You're saying that if I exchange it, what I get will be just the same?

And thanks for the ideas about minimizing it.

Thanks for your help. I really did leave a message when trying to buy this, and I've left two messages about it since Sunday, plus the unanswered email. I was wondering if someone is too-quickly deleting voicemail messages? Or maybe something is weird with your voicemail service?

PS, yes, I love how it feels and sounds, too.

Last edited:
Jason, thank for your Soundcloud page! I didn't hear it, either. I really like your Oh, So Eee Zee. I'm following you now. Not in a stalker way, don't worry. You can still go out at night.

Jason, thank for your Soundcloud page! I didn't hear it, either. I really like your Oh, So Eee Zee. I'm following you now. Not in a stalker way, don't worry. You can still go out at night.

Ziret.
The uke on the soundcloud sample is my Breedlove. It is an amazing sitka spruce top. Although I put a classical guitar wound C on it. To be honest, a wound C is a game changer for me. I always felt like fluorocarbon C strings were "thuddy" and not as responsive as the other 3 strings. Have you tried a wound C?
Thanks for the compliment and the SoundCloud follow, I made OhSoEeeZee on my Native Instruments Maschine when I couldn't sleep from jet-lag upon arriving in Shanghai, 2011.

I always felt like fluorocarbon C strings were "thuddy" and not as responsive as the other 3 strings. Have you tried a wound C?

I feel the same way about fluorocarbon C strings, but I don't see other people mentioning it often. Glad I'm not alone. :) Are you using a low-G with it? (Thomastik CF27 for the C and CF30 for the G?) I recently tuned my tenors back to re-entrant tuning, since the guitarlele takes care of my low sound needs (I dislike the nylon C here, too), but I find the thuddy C takes a bit away from my experience. I wonder if using just a wound C would work, with a high-G, but I imagine it might be a little imbalanced (just like a wound low-G with three unwound strings). What are your thoughts?

I feel the same way about fluorocarbon C strings, but I don't see other people mentioning it often. Glad I'm not alone. :) Are you using a low-G with it? (Thomastik CF27 for the C and CF30 for the G?) I recently tuned my tenors back to re-entrant tuning, since the guitarlele takes care of my low sound needs (I dislike the nylon C here, too), but I find the thuddy C takes a bit away from my experience. I wonder if using just a wound C would work, with a high-G, but I imagine it might be a little imbalanced (just like a wound low-G with three unwound strings). What are your thoughts?

Mivo.
I think a wound C with a high G will be fine. Ko'olau Mahana come with a wound C option and fluorocarbon G, E, A . (that is how my Pono MGT came to me)

Yes, for the Breedlove, I am using the TI CF27/CF30 combo with the Savarez Alliance 541R 542R for the E and A. Honestly, I think another 541R tuned to G on the top would make for a nice sound.

And on the note of high g, I have been contemplating putting a 541R for the g just to see how it sounds as I have an extra set of TI's if I don't like it.

Yes, for the Breedlove, I am using the TI CF27/CF30 combo with the Savarez Alliance 541R 542R for the E and A. Honestly, I think another 541R tuned to G on the top would make for a nice sound.

I think I'll try this, and if it sounds off, I'll just swap in the CF30 for a low-G. Are the Savarez strings part of a specific set? (Looking at this one here.) Otherwise I'd just use the E and A strings from either a Worth brown set or a Martin M620 one.

I think I'll try this, and if it sounds off, I'll just swap in the CF30 for a low-G. Are the Savarez strings part of a specific set? (Looking at this one here.) Otherwise I'd just use the E and A strings from either a Worth brown set or a Martin M620 one.

Yes, that is the 540R set but I can buy the Savarez individually through stringsbymail for much cheaper than buying a whole set.
https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...-classic-series-145/540r-alliance-normal-455/

Unfortunately, I do not know of a place in Europe where you can buy individual strings but there must be one out there for classical guitar players.
I am curious to see/hear how they work for you, let me know.

Thanks! I'll grab that Savarez set, since it's the easiest way to get those strings, and if they work I'll see about finding singles. Then again, €26 for a string change (the Thomastik full set is €12), if I go low-G, every half year is an acceptable price if it finally gives me the sound I'm after. For E and A, I'd use the B and E strings from the guitar set?

edit: On a second thought, buying the singles from the site you mentioned would be cheaper in the long run even with international shipping. So if I can't find a European supplier for singles, I'd just do that.

(Sorry, Ziret, for hijacking your thread a little!)

Last edited:
Mivo,

you can get single strings from SchneiderMusik in Germany, low shipping cost as well.

Thanks! I'll grab that Savarez set, since it's the easiest way to get those strings, and if they work I'll see about finding singles. Then again, €26 for a string change (the Thomastik full set is €12), if I go low-G, every half year is an acceptable price if it finally gives me the sound I'm after. For E and A, I'd use the B and E strings from the guitar set?

edit: On a second thought, buying the singles from the site you mentioned would be cheaper in the long run even with international shipping. So if I can't find a European supplier for singles, I'd just do that.

Yes, use the B and E.

1st: Savarez 541R
2nd: Savarez 542R
3rd: TI CF27
4th: low g: TI CF 30 or for high g: Savarez 541R

I hope this helps you.
=)

Last edited:
Thanks again. :) I ordered the sets and should get them tomorrow or Friday. Excited to try these! I hope the string tension's all right (not too high), but the gauges are similar to what I use (Worth) right now.

Thank you, that was just what I wanted to understand. Don't get me wrong, I love how it sounds in general, and I think you guys did a great job setting it up. But to me, it was SUPER spendy and I go back and forth with bouts of guilt, which doesn't even make sense, but there you go. And because it was spendy, I expected--what? I expected it to not have issues that my Kala doesn't have, I guess.

So given what you've told me, I really have to think about it for a while, if possible. In light of that, I'd also like to ask if really, that third string, third fret or thereabouts has virtually no sustain and the surrounding area has very little on all the Opios? If every Opio is that way, it's something to weighs in my decision. You're saying that if I exchange it, what I get will be just the same?

And thanks for the ideas about minimizing it.

Thanks for your help. I really did leave a message when trying to buy this, and I've left two messages about it since Sunday, plus the unanswered email. I was wondering if someone is too-quickly deleting voicemail messages? Or maybe something is weird with your voicemail service?

PS, yes, I love how it feels and sounds, too.

I was wondering since you have Andrew's direct cell number what came out of your conversation? did you return the uke..or are you trying another one....

I have a few ukuleles. A few high-quality ukuleles as well. On exactly four of them I notice sustain that rings like a bell, but not everywhere on the neck. What is funny to me is that I always just considered those ukuleles to have great sustain, and the others just adequate. I guess it's how you perceive it.

Once again Andrew shows us all why he is one of the best retailers in the business.

I am fortunate that I can hop in the car and drive to HMS and play the ukuleles on the wall. I imagine buying such a personal and subjective item as a musical instrument must be difficult without trying it first, especially when it is not a trivial amount of money. Fortunately you did make a good choice in buying it from a vendor that understands these concerns and will do the right thing to satisfy you.

The ensuing string discussion shows again how perception affects sound. I personally dislike wound strings on ukuleles, I find them too boomy and guitar-like. I use Worth Browns for low-G applications as I like both the sound and the feel of them. To each their own, that is why there are so many different types of strings. There are still some I have yet to try that I am curious about, but for now the Worth Browns are what I like. Incidentally, it was Andrew who recommended I try them.

Please let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out. Incidentally, the ukulele I own with the best sustain is a Pono. :D

Ziret.
The uke on the soundcloud sample is my Breedlove. It is an amazing sitka spruce top. Although I put a classical guitar wound C on it. To be honest, a wound C is a game changer for me. I always felt like fluorocarbon C strings were "thuddy" and not as responsive as the other 3 strings. Have you tried a wound C?
Thanks for the compliment and the SoundCloud follow, I made OhSoEeeZee on my Native Instruments Maschine when I couldn't sleep from jet-lag upon arriving in Shanghai, 2011.

I had a baritone that had a wound C and I loved it, I was wondering how they are on tenor. I will try that sometime soon. I think fluorocarbon Gs are thuddy and planned to get wound for that.

I looked at Breedlove, thanks to your recommendation, and they didn't have anything at this time. I also looked at Mya Moe, as they are right down the Columbia River from me. If you consider about 200 miles close, but still, we do. They are gorgeous. One of my uke group members has one and I'm going to talk to him. Good idea.

No problem, Mivo. I learn something new with each reply, plus I am bored with myself.

Last edited:
I have a few ukuleles. A few high-quality ukuleles as well. On exactly four of them I notice sustain that rings like a bell, but not everywhere on the neck. What is funny to me is that I always just considered those ukuleles to have great sustain, and the others just adequate. I guess it's how you perceive it.

Once again Andrew shows us all why he is one of the best retailers in the business.

I am fortunate that I can hop in the car and drive to HMS and play the ukuleles on the wall. I imagine buying such a personal and subjective item as a musical instrument must be difficult without trying it first, especially when it is not a trivial amount of money. Fortunately you did make a good choice in buying it from a vendor that understands these concerns and will do the right thing to satisfy you.

The ensuing string discussion shows again how perception affects sound. I personally dislike wound strings on ukuleles, I find them too boomy and guitar-like. I use Worth Browns for low-G applications as I like both the sound and the feel of them. To each their own, that is why there are so many different types of strings. There are still some I have yet to try that I am curious about, but for now the Worth Browns are what I like. Incidentally, it was Andrew who recommended I try them.

Please let us know what you decide to do, and how it works out. Incidentally, the ukulele I own with the best sustain is a Pono. :D

Oh those Ponos! I should have just ordered that in the first place, but I worried the neck was too wide or thick. Then I tried someone's and it was fine. And it would have cost less, too.

Yes, I now know that when someone told me my $155 Kala was an exceptional instrument, he wasn't just trying to make me feel better. It has sustain on every fret. There are two where it's not quite as good as the rest, but it's there. Since I hit a homerun with literally my first uke, I mistakenly thought I could only go up from there. This education has cost a lot in time, and money, but that's how it goes. In spite of that, it's interesting.

I think this is also a matter of what you listen for. I'm certain my ears miss something important, but for some reason this, they hear. Too bad, since it seems to be something that is hard to get.

Trying a wound C on your Opio may actually improve the situation, if you decide to keep it.

I love Andrew's response, and I also wonder if this is true of "regular" KoAloha tenors (or KoAlana for that matter) or if it just an Opio thing.

I'm not bothered by it...still love it and I'd take anyone's Opio that they no longer wanted (if they were giving it away :) )

;) I would take one a free Opio, too.

I wonder about the regular Koalohas and Koalanas, also. I have spent so much time on this...I wish I could just go to a store and test them myself.

I learned so much from this. I wish this were not something that bothers me and I were like the other 99% of Koaloha purchasers. I makes me wonder about myself, that's for sure.

Top Bottom