Kamaka Questions

And like all things, there will eventually be 100th Anniversary Kamakas on the market, used, at a slight discount from today's full price.

That's true. The used market will eventually have some of the anniversary models, so if I don't get one now and decide later that I want one, I don't have to feel that it was a missed opportunity.

Of course, there is variation from one ukulele to the next, even with the same brand and size, but with that in mind:

How much variation is there from one Kamaka to the next? How is intonation? (That's a big issue for me.) Are sound and build quality pretty consistent? How do those concerns compare to non-anniverary models, (should I wait until next year if I want the best quality, since I would assume they'll build fewer ukuleles then?)

I'm guessing that the prices will stay the same next year, and not go down even though it's not a special headstock next year. Does that seem like a reasonable guess? (I realize no one but Kamaka knows the answer for sure, though.)

I've lost count, but I think I've had 6 or 7 Kamakas over the years - they're pretty much all I play. That being said, I notice a lot of variation between them. I've been lucky enough to be able to choose between 2 or more of the same model in person, and with my eyes closed and someone else playing, there was always one that had a sound quality that I preferred over the next. For what it's worth, the few that I've bought online without trying first I've ended up re-homing. I've only ever encountered one with an intonation problem (C string, 8th fret, which seems to be a problem spot - my custom had an issue there too!).

At the shop where I play I've tried a few of the anniversary models and frankly, I don't notice anything better about them than the non-anniversary models. I thought I'd be tempted when they came in but I haven't been - I'm pretty happy with the three garden-variety non-anniversary ones I have.

Does anyone have a HF3 AND AN HF3L?

I find the thickness of the HF3L quite think when compared to the HF2L ... I like a thin neck.

Isn't the HF3L a baritone neck? I have a HF1-L which is a longneck soprano AKA concert neck on soprano body, so I'm guessing that HF3-L is a bari neck on a tenor body, and HF2-L is a tenor neck on a concert body. Guessing, but seems logical.

I am going to come clean and possibly embarrass myself and sam13. Neither one of us liked the sound of Kamakas when we had a chance to play them at a music store in Toronto. To be honest we completely dismissed them as being more about the name then anything else. It might have been the black nylon strings that they come stock with, neither of us like the sound of nylon compared to fluorocarbon.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - IT'S THE STRINGS! Those awful black nylon strings, I just don't understand why... But I do know this, if you try one out with the black strings and it sounds even remotely good to your ear, it will sound amazing once you pop on some fluoros. And if you're in a shop, they might even just do it for you - after all, they want to make the sale. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

I thought I'd be tempted when they came in but I haven't been - I'm pretty happy with the three garden-variety non-anniversary ones I have.

That's a funny statement at the end. As if any $1000 (or more!) ukulele could be "garden variety." True...your Kamakas aren't the 100th Anniversary, nor are they custom ukuleles, but still pretty special in themselves, made in Hawaii out of Hawaiian Koa. And due to Kamaka's lengthy career, there might be Kamakas all over Hawaii and the world. Still, it's funny to say that they are "garden-variety."

I don't think there was ever any promise of a different sounding ukulele for the 100th, just a special logo on the headstock.

I'm pretty happy with the three garden-variety non-anniversary ones I have.

And if you drop them in a decade from now, replacing them would be less of an uphill battle than trying to get an anniversary model, particular one you bond with. :)

That's a funny statement at the end. As if any $1000 (or more!) ukulele could be "garden variety."

To be honest - aside from the Ohta-San I no longer have, I've never spent anywhere near $1000 on a Kamaka. I've kept an eye out for deals, and I'm fortunate to live in an area with a lot of musicians, and a lot of music stores. Supply and demand, I guess, but they just aren't that big of a deal in these parts.

And if you drop them in a decade from now, replacing them would be less of an uphill battle than trying to get an anniversary model, particular one you bond with. :)

Ack. Drop?! Perish the thought!!! :)

Hi Everyone,

I don't post much, but this thread resonated with me. I was just in my local Island Bazaar ukulele store today in Huntington Beach, California and they just got their shipment in. I think they had three HF-3 Kamaka Tenors and 2 Kamaka Concerts for sale and not spoken for.

One of them looked really nice with very curly koa. Sounded great too! I'm sure they'll have no problem selling them.

They are nice people at the store. I bought a KoAloha concert there years ago. (On a side note, they had an absolutely breathtaking Kanile'a - it was gorgeous with a thin slotted head stock, cut-away, lots of detail, and sounded amazing)

Good luck! If you are in Hawaii, I think Lahaina Music on Maui has about 3 Tenor Kamaka 100 year anniversary models as well. A couple of other stores if you call around have 2015 models at a discount as well. Some really beautiful instruments.

Aloha!

I had a chance to very briefly try one a couple years ago, and was unimpressed. But, somehow, I've become quite taken with the sound. Maybe my ears have changed their opinion on what sound is good, maybe the one from the past was not the best example of Kamaka, or...who knows. But, I really like the sound now.

But, with your much greater experience with a variety of ukuleles, I appreciate hearing that you didn't like them initially, but do now. That makes me feel better about my own changing opinion. :) And, coming from you, it's a great recommendation.

I don't know if you're a guitarist or not, but I've found this to be the case with musical instruments anyhow. Tastes change - that's what happened with me with Gibson acoustics (from not liking it at all to loving it).

Based on what janeray1940 says, it seems like Kamakas are like the Gibson acoustics -- they can be amazing but vary more widely in sound than other makes. So if Kamakas are Gibsons, then Koalohas are Martins and Kanile'as are Taylors?

Based on what janeray1940 says, it seems like Kamakas are like the Gibson acoustics -- they can be amazing but vary more widely in sound than other makes. So if Kamakas are Gibsons, then Koalohas are Martins and Kanile'as are Taylors?

Ha ha, that's an interesting way to look at it. I'm not enough of a guitar player to know the differences between the various makes, but I will tend to agree with this in principle. To my ear, Koalohas all sound pretty consistently bright, and Kanile'as all sound pretty consistently warm, whereas Kamakas can vary a bit more, especially once you get into changing strings. Even with as many as I've played, I'm not sure that I've noticed a distinctive Kamaka sound - but a Koaloha always sounds just as I'd expect :)

I ordered a Pineapple, long neck, deluxe directly from Kamaka in early June. All communication was via email. They responded within 24 hours and were very friendly and professional. I received it in 9 or 10 weeks, I forget some of the details, but it was 2 weeks sooner than expected. The build quality was very high. It has that "Hawaii" sound which I expect is due to the soprano size body. I like the sound, it is different from the other ukes I own.

100 years is an impressive milestone for a family business. Usually they go bust by then or are absorbed into a larger corporation. I wanted the 100th anniversary uke so I too could celebrate their achievement. I play it every day. This family after 100 years is now only into it's third generation. This suggests to me the family is dedicated to their business and their work. Generations 1 and 2 had or have 50+ years. How many of you would do what you do for a living for more than 50 years? Dedication.

Matt

Earlier this year I ordered a spruce top Ohta San from Mim. On a whim also ordered a cedar top concert deluxe. Had to sell a gorgeous Pohaku concert to justify purchasing both Kamakas but have not regretted doing it. Believe Kamaka pulled out all the stops this year. Both of mine are absolutely stunning and sound amazing.

At the shop where I play I've tried a few of the anniversary models and frankly, I don't notice anything better about them than the non-anniversary models. I thought I'd be tempted when they came in but I haven't been - I'm pretty happy with the three garden-variety non-anniversary ones I have.

Thanks for that feedback.

I did think that people had mentioned that there was variation from one Kamaka to the next, (a little more than the usual from any instrument to the next), so you've confirmed that, too.

I wouldn't be able to try before buying, unfortunately.

100 years is an impressive milestone for a family business. Usually they go bust by then or are absorbed into a larger corporation. I wanted the 100th anniversary uke so I too could celebrate their achievement.
Matt

It is an impressive achievement, especially these days. So far, I only have the CD to celebrate it, but obviously am tempted with the idea of getting an anniversary ukulele. Enjoy yours!

Earlier this year I ordered a spruce top Ohta San from Mim. On a whim also ordered a cedar top concert deluxe. Had to sell a gorgeous Pohaku concert to justify purchasing both Kamakas but have not regretted doing it. Believe Kamaka pulled out all the stops this year. Both of mine are absolutely stunning and sound amazing.

How does the concert compare to the Ohta San? I would assume that there is a bit deeper sound, (and maybe a bit louder?), from the Ohta San?

You've got 2 great ukuleles!

Interesting comparison.
The variation in the Kamakas is one thing that is making me hesitate in buying, though.

Interesting comparison.
The variation in the Kamakas is one thing that is making me hesitate in buying, though.

I would not hesitate to call Andrew at HMS and ask him this question directly. I have and he always gives an honest answer.

For what it is worth just about every stringed fretted acoustic instrument will vary in sound from one instrument to the next of the same model. I know there has been this " commonly held belief" that Kamakas vary the most but I think that is not so prevelent in the last couple years.

I've owned several Kamakas dating back from this year to 2012. I think they're just about the best production Ike's being made; immaculately constructed, easy playing, and great sounding. I have one 2015 HF-3 left. I sold an anniversary HF-3 in favor of the '15. I'm not a big fan of the new semigloss finish-- although I know others are. Between the '15 gloss and '16 semi, I chose to keep the '15. The '16 to me appeared to be built lighter and the neck was a tad thinner- not sure if that was just my uke or across the board, but it definitely lighter. I wouldn't say it sounded any better, though. I would not hesitate buying one for fear that it mightn't sound good. I like the Kamaka strings, too, plus, they're cheap :cool: -- Matt

Thanks for that feedback.

I did think that people had mentioned that there was variation from one Kamaka to the next, (a little more than the usual from any instrument to the next), so you've confirmed that, too.

I wouldn't be able to try before buying, unfortunately.

One thing to consider though - if you don't have multiples to compare against each other, I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed in the sound unless there was a true problem (like the intonation issue I mentioned, and I've only encountered that once, on a second-hand Kamaka bought sight-unseen on eBay). It's only when we start having lots of choices that things get difficult! :)

If you buy from someone reputable, you'll get a good uke and if you don't at first, the seller should work with you to make things right. I've never actually bought a new uke online, only used, and only from private sellers on eBay with little to no knowledge of ukes.

Last edited:
It is difficult to find music stores that have them available, but 2 days ago I bought a Kamaka HF-2 100th anniversary Edition and I will receive it by tomorrow!!!

How does the concert compare to the Ohta San? I would assume that there is a bit deeper sound, (and maybe a bit louder?), from the Ohta San?

You've got 2 great ukuleles!

Thank you. The concert compares favorably to the spruce top Ohta San. Can't say I really prefer one over the other. With the cedar top, the concert has a nice deep mellow sound.

Top Bottom