Kamaka Questions

Am I correct in thinking that Kamaka isn't doing any anniverary models of the Ohta San?

I have an anniversary Ohta-san cedar top. It's fantastic! It's my eighth Kamaka and my favorite (next would be a white-label concert tiki). I haven't been able to put it down since July. I've wanted an Ohta-san for seven years, but ultimately am glad that I waited to get the anniversary model.

I thought long and hard about a 100th anniversary Ohta-San............congrats on scoring one

It is difficult to find music stores that have them available, but 2 days ago I bought a Kamaka HF-2 100th anniversary Edition and I will receive it by tomorrow!!!

I hope that you'll do a NUD. Looking forward to hearing about your new Kamaka.

Isn't the HF3L a baritone neck? I have a HF1-L which is a longneck soprano AKA concert neck on soprano body, so I'm guessing that HF3-L is a bari neck on a tenor body, and HF2-L is a tenor neck on a concert body. Guessing, but seems logical.

Yes, you are correct with your Logic ... if the neck profile of the HF3 is the same as the HF2L, then I am in and totally pumped. SoupKing mentioned a lighter build, and I can say the HF3L is lighter and a superb instrument. I have it Low G with a Thomastik-Infeld 4th string and then CT Worth Tenor strings for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - IT'S THE STRINGS! Those awful black nylon strings, I just don't understand why... But I do know this, if you try one out with the black strings and it sounds even remotely good to your ear, it will sound amazing once you pop on some fluoros. And if you're in a shop, they might even just do it for you - after all, they want to make the sale. Doesn't hurt to ask :)

I couldn't agree more.

Dave and I have tried the Kamaka Ukes at a local store and have to say they sounded horrible ... and the Koa was lame as well.

But after buying Rappsy's HF2L, and then the HF3L I have to say ... they are my favourite Ukulele, and favourite Koa sound as well.

My HF2L sounds really great and is quite loud, but I feel I just want a bit more ... which is why I am considering the 100th HF3 and sell the HF2L.

I thought long and hard about a 100th anniversary Ohta-San............congrats on scoring one

Thanks! It was my 60th birthday, so the timing was right. I even liked the factory stings on it, but I wore them out pretty fast. It has Aquila reds on now, with a Fremont low G. I'm very happy with it.

My theory is that the good Kamakas rarely make it to a shelf in a shop, Kamaka has had 100 years to set up a very loyal customer base. The very best are identified on the production line and funnelled to loyal customers, distributors fill orders with the good ones, returned and not so good instruments end up on the shelf in music stores.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Well... I've bought several Kamakas off the shelf in a local music store and none of them have any flaws or issues that make me consider them something other than a "good one." When I've had several of the same to choose from, I was able to pick a "best one" or "favorite one" but it was hard to choose from all of the "good ones." So I suppose I disagree with that statement.

Also, other makers have emerged in Hawaii (Koaloha, Kanile'a) that seem to have as loyal of a following as Kamaka, so I can't imagine that there is such a super high demand by loyal customers the minute a new uke comes off the production line. Younger players seem to favor other makers. Many players like having a mix of woods and brands of ukuleles - among the players I know, I'm pretty much the exception in my loyalty to only koa, and only Kamaka.

I have an anniversary Ohta-san cedar top. It's fantastic! It's my eighth Kamaka and my favorite (next would be a white-label concert tiki). I haven't been able to put it down since July. I've wanted an Ohta-san for seven years, but ultimately am glad that I waited to get the anniversary model.

Congrats! I had a cedar top Ohta san that was amazing but sold it when I got an all-koa Ohta-san. Still have that one and the anniversary spruce-top Ohta-san. All of them wonderful ukes. The anniversary spruce-top Ohta-san probably has the edge. It's absolutely stunning to look at and sounds incredible.

I think I've only seen those with longer scale instruments who don't mind the factory strings so much. On my pineapple, I found them really floppy and dull sounding. I was going to give them a week or so, but they came off after about a day or two. But on a longer scale instrument, with greater tension, they might work better. I have Fremont Black Lines on there now, but I think I'll try Aquila Lavas again.

So if Kamakas are Gibsons, then Koalohas are Martins and Kanile'as are Taylors?

I'm curious to know how you came up with that comparison...

I ordered a Tenor in 2013. I was in Honolulu and went to the factory. I dealt with a lady named Yukari, she was so helpful. I got the uke in September and can barely put it down. I didn't mind the stock strings but did end up trying Freemont Black Line. The difference was amazing. I also ordered a Kanilea in 2015 and put the Freemonts on that instrument as well. I don't like the Aguilas at all. I love both instruments. However if I had to choose my favorite, the Kamaka is the one.
I'm considering another HF3 sometime soon. Have not told my wife yet! Got a plan though. I majored in music as a trumpeter. I don't really play much any more. I sold off most of my horns, I had six at one point. I still have two, both are worth about 2 grand apiece. I plan to sell one eventually and use the $ for another Kamaka.

McCabe's in Santa Monica has 2 or 3 in stock, including an all-koa Ohta San.

I live close by the shop. I'd by happy to check it out if you tell me what you want (e.g., how you want the action set, etc.).

Thanks! Let me sleep on it, so I don't make a rash decision. But, I've been wanting to try a Kamaka concert, and like low action. Good intonation is very important to me, too.

I'm curious to know how you came up with that comparison...

I was just talking out of my a&& haha.

Gibson acoustics (J-45s, Hummingbirds, etc) tend to be quieter, mellower but with more complex overtones. Also, much more variable from one individual instrument to the next even if it's the same model (and model year). But in recent years the guitars have been more consistent. And one of the most venerable and oldest brands out there. Also it seems like with the Kamakas, the Gibsons don't tend to make good first impressions, and some folks come around or warm up to them only years later. Seems to parallel the Kamakas.

Kanile'as (at least the ones I've played) seem to be consistent, bright, and "tighter" if that makes any sense. Much like Taylor guitars. And they use the same UV finish patented by Taylor. It just feels like the kind of uke that Taylor would make.

Martins are woodsy, punchy, and bassy. A bit of more a twang, jangly quality compared to Taylors or Gibsons. Cuts through a mix, loud. At least the Koalohas I've tested, they also seem to have a somewhat analogous quality in comparison to the other ukes - punchy and loud but not quite as bright as the Kanile'as I tried out.

But all of this is subjective and I'm sure others would think I'm wrong haha

Gulp. It's getting harder and harder to resist.
Do they do a good set-up?

That's my local shop! They don't routinely do a setup unless you specifically ask for it, which I've never bothered to do. I've bought four Kamakas off the shelf there and never had any issues. I'm no expert when it comes to action, but I'm finicky as heck regarding intonation and it's never been a problem on any Kamaka I've tried there.

That's my local shop! They don't routinely do a setup unless you specifically ask for it, which I've never bothered to do. I've bought four Kamakas off the shelf there and never had any issues. I'm no expert when it comes to action, but I'm finicky as heck regarding intonation and it's never been a problem on any Kamaka I've tried there.

Thanks.

I might be a bit distracted at work today while thinking about this. LOL.

Would it be reasonable to expect a discount on a non-anniversary model that is being sold as new?

If so, what would be a reasonable discount percent?

I think I've only seen those with longer scale instruments who don't mind the factory strings so much. On my pineapple, I found them really floppy and dull sounding. I was going to give them a week or so, but they came off after about a day or two. But on a longer scale instrument, with greater tension, they might work better. I have Fremont Black Lines on there now, but I think I'll try Aquila Lavas again.

Yes, this is true for me. I have Fremont Blacks on my shorter-scale Kamakas and my Martin sopranos as well. I have thought to try Kamaka tenor stings on one of my Kamaka concerts, but I am really happy with the Fremonts. I also think the Kamaka strings sound good with a low G setup.

Top Bottom