Kamaka Questions

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
As the Kamaka anniversary year is coming close to the end, I've been thinking about whether or not I'd want an anniversary Kamaka.

It would probably be a concert, though I guess my questions would apply to all sizes.

Of course, there is variation from one ukulele to the next, even with the same brand and size, but with that in mind:

How much variation is there from one Kamaka to the next? How is intonation? (That's a big issue for me.) Are sound and build quality pretty consistent? How do those concerns compare to non-anniverary models, (should I wait until next year if I want the best quality, since I would assume they'll build fewer ukuleles then?)

I'm guessing that the prices will stay the same next year, and not go down even though it's not a special headstock next year. Does that seem like a reasonable guess? (I realize no one but Kamaka knows the answer for sure, though.)

Hopefully, mmstan will chime in.

Hi Joyful:

I can't answer your questions but I can tell you that your window for ordering one will soon close, based on a conversation I had with a local Kamaka dealer in my area. The dealer said he will soon place his last order with Kamaka for the anniversary models soon. So you shouldn't delay too long if you want one.

Luke

Hi Joyful:

I can't answer your questions but I can tell you that your window for ordering one will soon close, based on a conversation I had with a local Kamaka dealer in my area. The dealer said he will soon place his last order with Kamaka for the anniversary models soon. So you shouldn't delay too long if you want one.

Luke

Thanks, Luke. That's why I had it on my mind. It's now or never for a new one, if I decide I want the anniversary headstock.

I have two Kamaka Ukes.

A Long neck Concert which is a 2015, and a Long Neck Tenor 100th anniversary model.

Both have wonderful tone, consistent build quality and I love them.

I really wish they had a radius but ... well, what can be done. I have recently requested details on a custom and the prices were off the charts ...

Good questions. I have been considering to buy a Kamaka all year, but I feel that a driving force behind that desire is (for me) the perceived shortage and limited availability of 2016 models (not wanting to miss out, so this is working as intended), not necessarily a strong want to have or need a Kamaka. If I went for another K brand ukulele right now, Kanile'a is the one that I'd be most interested in (solely because of the excellent experience with the GL6 koa model).

But, yes, there is the "missing out!" thought, and I go back and forth on whether I should grab an anniversary model. Realistically, though, probably a lot of people think that way, and we might see 2016 models show up in the used instrument market regularly, at least for a while. (Buying used is a much more cost efficient way of "trying out" ukes.)

Interesting thought about the quality vs. quantity of instruments made in a year.

Does anyone have a HF3 AND AN HF3L?

I find the thickness of the HF3L quite think when compared to the HF2L ... I like a thin neck.

I am considering a 100th HF3 purchase as well as I really like the Kamaka tone ... but would pass if the thickness of the neck is similar to the HF3L.

Am I correct in thinking that Kamaka isn't doing any anniverary models of the Ohta San?

I am afraid it is too late for an order, It is allready 4 months I passed an order and still waiting for the instrument
The 100th anniversary will be a good Kamaka certainly not different but certainly a "collector"
Hope you understand my english:)

I am afraid it is too late for an order, It is allready 4 months I passed an order and still waiting for the instrument
The 100th anniversary will be a good Kamaka certainly not different but certainly a "collector"
Hope you understand my english:)

I know that some of the music stores are still expecting more anniversary models to arrive, (Elderly Music has an expected arrival date of 11/10/16, which I think was pushed back from 10/1/16, IIRC), so there will still be more anniversary models for sale, at least in the US. I don't know if there will be any special orders from individuals, though.

I know that some of the music stores are still expecting more anniversary models to arrive, (Elderly Music has an expected arrival date of 11/10/16, which I think was pushed back from 10/1/16, IIRC), so there will still be more anniversary models for sale, at least in the US. I don't know if there will be any special orders from individuals, though.

I recently contacted Kamaka directly. They are taking orders until the end of the year, even if your 100th anniversary Ukulele arrives mid April or May 2017.

Call Andrew at HMS, he can help.

Y

I recently contacted Kamaka directly. They are taking orders until the end of the year, even if your 100th anniversary Ukulele arrives mid April or May 2017.

Call Andrew at HMS, he can help.

Y

Good to know. Thanks.
The first step is to decide if I even want to do this....

Does anyone have a HF3 AND AN HF3L?

I find the thickness of the HF3L quite think when compared to the HF2L ... I like a thin neck.

I am considering a 100th HF3 purchase as well as I really like the Kamaka tone ... but would pass if the thickness of the neck is similar to the HF3L.

I have an HF3 100th Anniversary model. Bought it earlier this year when I was in Hilo.

I can't compare with other Kamakas, but I fell in love with the one I ultimately bought. I tried out Kanile'as and Koalohas as well (tenors). I found the Kanile'as to make the strongest first impression, from the aesthetics to the tone (it's tight, punchy and cuts through, but not overly bright that it's brittle). The Koaloha I tried was a bit more woodsy than the Kanile'a, and seemed louder. I tried all of these while in Hilo.

The HF3 that I have was the "quietest" but seemed to have more subtle overtones than the other K's. The Kamaka plays like butter, and had the sweetest sound. I'm a singer, and tend to sing more than solo, and of the 3 K's, the Kamaka's mellow tone seems to best match my voice. Basically the other K's I tried seemed to be a bit punchier, but the Kamaka seemed mellower with a more complex sound, especially since I tune it down a full step (so essentially C becomes Bb).

And now a few months in, I absolutely love it. I have no idea whether it's any different than the non-100th versions (other than the more blingy headstock and tuners).

Last edited:
I've had good luck in the past just calling Chris at kamaka. He's very straight forward with his answers.......and he's a good guy too

I am going to come clean and possibly embarrass myself and sam13. Neither one of us liked the sound of Kamakas when we had a chance to play them at a music store in Toronto. To be honest we completely dismissed them as being more about the name then anything else. It might have been the black nylon strings that they come stock with, neither of us like the sound of nylon compared to florocarbon.

Andrew from HMS always spoke highly of Kamaka and in 2015 did a 12 string comparison test on Kamaka tenors. He said that Kamakas had become very consistent in the last few years and that sound test proved it. I listened to that many many times and really liked what I was hearing. Andrew has heard all ukes imaginable and I trust him as a very credible source.

To shorten this story sam13 buys the Kamaka long neck concert and it is amazing sounding. He then buys a100th anniversay long neck tenor that is mind blowing in sound quality, close to matching our LfdM tenors. I bought a 100th annniversay baritone that is the best baritone I have ever heard. So we are now died in the wool Kamaka fanboys. Sam13 now wants a regular neck tenor he loves the Kamaka sound so much

If you haven't figured it out yet I say buy one.........fast.

Last edited:
Anybody have experience ordering directly from Kamaka vs going thru a dealer? What would be the diff?

(There's an Anniversary tenor on ebay for those interested! I'm not an ebay person.)

And like all things, there will eventually be 100th Anniversary Kamakas on the market, used, at a slight discount from today's full price. Eventually, if you want one and don't order now, there will be options in the future. I could be wrong, but I would expect them to depreciate in value for a while (after purchase) until some point in the future where less of them are around, and then they increase in price. But a ukulele isn't (generally) an investment, it is an instrument that should be played for personal enjoyment.

And while I would happily own a 100th anniversary model (which would need to be stored away 6 months of the year in my world due to cold winters other than when played), I would really love a KoAloha with that new pearl inlay logo--but that doesn't belong in this thread...

I am going to come clean and possibly embarrass myself and sam13. Neither one of us liked the sound of Kamakas when we had a chance to play them at a music store in Toronto. <snip>

So we are now died in the wool Kamaka fanboys. Sam13 now wants a regular neck tenor he loves the Kamaka sound so much

If you haven't figured it out yet I say buy one.........fast.

I had a chance to very briefly try one a couple years ago, and was unimpressed. But, somehow, I've become quite taken with the sound. Maybe my ears have changed their opinion on what sound is good, maybe the one from the past was not the best example of Kamaka, or...who knows. But, I really like the sound now.

But, with your much greater experience with a variety of ukuleles, I appreciate hearing that you didn't like them initially, but do now. That makes me feel better about my own changing opinion. :) And, coming from you, it's a great recommendation.

I have an HF3 100th Anniversary model. Bought it earlier this year when I was in Hilo. <snip>

And now a few months in, I absolutely love it. I have no idea whether it's any different than the non-100th versions (other than the more blingy headstock and tuners).

I don't know if it's any different from the non-100th versions, but at least you're giving a great recommendation, so thank you, and enjoy your HF3.

But the ukes are coming off the same production line, unless you are buying a model especially made for 2016. So if you just want a nice koa Kamaka ukulele from the standard range, it probably makes no difference if it has a 2016 logo, just order your uke.

I agree that the anniversary headstock logo isn't the important thing, unless you're a collector, but do still wonder about my initial questions. I'd be getting one to play, (if I decide to get one), and not as a collector's item.

Aren't there some changes, (maybe small changes, at least), from year to year? Are there some years where the ukuleles sound better?

Top Bottom