Aquila 7U and Aquila 50184?

BlueCanoe

Reaction score
My retailer does not seem to carry the OEM strings that came with my Cordoba 20CM which were Aquila 7U. I liked the warm tone of those strings compared to the D'Addario Pro Arte strings I'm currently using which I found are too "bright" for my taste. Are the Aquila 50184 equal or comparable to the 7U. Do they have the warm tone I liked about the 7U?
Tom

My retailer does not seem to carry the OEM strings that came with my Cordoba 20CM which were Aquila 7U. I liked the warm tone of those strings compared to the D'Addario Pro Arte strings I'm currently using which I found are too "bright" for my taste. Are the Aquila 50184 equal or comparable to the 7U. Do they have the warm tone I liked about the 7U?
Tom

Hi, I know Aquila strings quite well but 50184 does not seem a valid product code.
Aquila strings for ukulele always has a number (max 3 digits) followed by the letter "U".

Here is the catalogue of Aquila

http://www.aquilacorde.com/wp-content/uploads/aquila-catalogue-2016.pdf

I don't know if 50184 could be an older "product code" (but could mean the strings are old), a recode made by the dealer or just a fake "Aquila" (I read they are quite common in some parts of Asia).

Hi, I know Aquila strings quite well but 50184 does not seem a valid product code.
Aquila strings for ukulele always has a number (max 3 digits) followed by the letter "U".

Here is the catalogue of Aquila

http://www.aquilacorde.com/wp-content/uploads/aquila-catalogue-2016.pdf

I don't know if 50184 could be an older "product code" (but could mean the strings are old), a recode made by the dealer or just a fake "Aquila" (I read they are quite common in some parts of Asia).

Stones,

I searched musiciansfriend website and here's what they're advertising... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/aquila-50184-concert-ukulele-strings. Do you think they're legit or are they passing along a knockoff?

Stones,

I searched musiciansfriend website and here's what they're advertising... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/aquila-50184-concert-ukulele-strings. Do you think they're legit or are they passing along a knockoff?

I searched a bit . I have seen other sites selling it with that product number, but it is not a "actual" Aquila order number. I suspect it is a older code (before 2015) and 50184 and 7U is the same thing, just different coding, but I could be wrong.
Maybe the best thing to do is to contact Mimmo (Aquila's founder) at http://aquilacorde.com/contacts/?lang=en just to be sure.
They can take some days to answer but are really nice and helping.

Strings are really a personal taste, but I would consider to switch from 7U to Supernylgut 103U (Concert High G).
Here you can find a sample of the difference between New Nylgut and Super Nylgut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEpBA_McMjg
I find 'em warmer than the New Nylgut, but as I said string is a really personal taste.

I searched a bit . I have seen other sites selling it with that product number, but it is not a "actual" Aquila order number. I suspect it is a older code (before 2015) and 50184 and 7U is the same thing, just different coding, but I could be wrong.
Maybe the best thing to do is to contact Mimmo (Aquila's founder) at http://aquilacorde.com/contacts/?lang=en just to be sure.
They can take some days to answer but are really nice and helping.

Strings are really a personal taste, but I would consider to switch from 7U to Supernylgut 103U (Concert High G).
Here you can find a sample of the difference between New Nylgut and Super Nylgut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEpBA_McMjg
I find 'em warmer than the New Nylgut, but as I said string is a really personal taste.

Thanks, Stones,

I'm going to call the retailer tomorrow and have sent an e-mail to Mimmo. I'll also inquire as to the 103U.

No prob.
If you don't mind, could you please post the answer ? I am quite curious if it is a different coding.
Thanks and have a nice weekend

No prob.
If you don't mind, could you please post the answer ? I am quite curious if it is a different coding.

mrStones,

Well, it's been about 12 days since I sent the e-mail to Mimmo(Aquila) but have not received any reply. Today, I received the strings and took some pictures which I am going to try to attach. Please look at them and see what you think. NOTE: The UPC label on back does show Cod. 7 U Concert Reg and there is also a sticker giving a Mfg. Code: MC 5/2016. NOTE: in the northeast quadrant of the back there is also a mark showing MODEL: 06/C. The package itself is gold (photos do not show that well). DSC_5911.jpgDSC_5912.jpgDSC_5913.jpgDSC_5914.jpg

They seems absolutely legit (font, color, image etc)
Even the seal sticker is consistent with Aquila, so I can assure you they are 7U with little or none doubt. I guess 50184 is just a recode from the dealer.
MC 5/2016 is the "batch code", made on may 2016 so they are quite new and it is not a "old stock".

Strange Mimmo didn't answer, I guess they are quite busy...
Enjoy your new Nylgut !

They seems absolutely legit (font, color, image etc)
Even the seal sticker is consistent with Aquila, so I can assure you they are 7U with little or none doubt. I guess 50184 is just a recode from the dealer.
MC 5/2016 is the "batch code", made on may 2016 so they are quite new and it is not a "old stock".

Strange Mimmo didn't answer, I guess they are quite busy...
Enjoy your new Nylgut !

Thanks again for your help and information. To a newbie, it means a lot. Tom P.S. I'm going to try and locate the 103U strings you recommended for my next string change.

Thanks again for your help and information. To a newbie, it means a lot. Tom P.S. I'm going to try and locate the 103U strings you recommended for my next string change.

You are more than welcome :) We are all here to share and help each other I guess.
I know outside Italy it is not so easy to find some set of Aquila. Lucky me, I live like a 100 km from the Aquila factory.
The downside is that in Italy is quite difficult to find fluorocarbon sets and you'll have to buy from EU countries.
Thanks to Southern Ukulele Store, Ken Middleton and Andreas David of gute-ukulele.de it is not a big problem.
Keep on strumming and I think you will love 103U too.

No prob.

mrStones... Here, FINALLY, is the reply I received from Aquila on Dec. 6. Note there is no answer as to whether the strings I ordered/received (50184) were equal to 7U.

First of all we thank you for taking the time to write to us.
I enclosed to this email our Ukulele Chart, you can find all the available product for Ukulele.
Your Cordoba comes from the factory with the 103U that stays for the SUPERNYLGUT.
This is the upgraded version of the 7U, faster tuning and higher sound projection.
The 7U is still our best seller. I guess it is a matter of personal choice.
I personally love the rounded sound of the BIONYLON, the art. 60U. Have you never tried it?
Let me know if you are having trouble finding the sets and I will double check with our distributor.
I wish you for now a great day and let us know what’s your favorite Aquila’s product!
Sincerely,
Gianluca Dal Bianco
Aquilacorde.com

mrStones... Here, FINALLY, is the reply I received from Aquila on Dec. 6. Note there is no answer as to whether the strings I ordered/received (50184) were equal to 7U.

First of all we thank you for taking the time to write to us.
I enclosed to this email our Ukulele Chart, you can find all the available product for Ukulele.
Your Cordoba comes from the factory with the 103U that stays for the SUPERNYLGUT.
This is the upgraded version of the 7U, faster tuning and higher sound projection.
The 7U is still our best seller. I guess it is a matter of personal choice.
I personally love the rounded sound of the BIONYLON, the art. 60U. Have you never tried it?
Let me know if you are having trouble finding the sets and I will double check with our distributor.
I wish you for now a great day and let us know what’s your favorite Aquila’s product!
Sincerely,
Gianluca Dal Bianco
Aquilacorde.com

...oh... I think Gianluca did not understand the question...
It's not a great answer... it's not an answer at all!
But there is an interesting (IF correct, and I don't think so) info here : the Cordoba mount 103U ? Really ?
All sites I checked says Cordoba 20CM mounts "7U" by stock.
Were you stock strings just milky white or pearl ? I am almost certain (having tried a 20CM some time ago) they were milky white so 7U... but I could be wrong...
I guess we'll never discover what 50184 stands for...

Anyway, just out of curiosity have you tried the 103U ?

Top Bottom