memorization

It is my theory that we know the lyrics, but they are buried behind all the mechanical stuff we do when playing. By humming you can more easily hear the chords. When you have the chords and strum on autopilot I believe you will amaze yourself with how easy the lyrics can be. Think about when we used to listen to the radio, 2 or 3 times hearing the song we could sing along, why because we were not over thinking it. Remember how hard it was to memorize a poem or speech in grade school? I am also a senior citizen, I sometimes have brain farts, but I can still learn new songs relatively quickly. Also I am not a great musician, so I work at it.

Sorry to be so disagreeable, but I never learned the words to a whole song. I was always a wind player until I started grappling with the Uke, and we never memorized poetry either. Even in choir and boys glee we used music.

Thanks again, but I'm gonna keep doin' the way I'm doin'. I'm makin' some progress now and havin' a good time. :eek:ld:

It is my theory that we know the lyrics, but they are buried behind all the mechanical stuff we do when playing. By humming you can more easily hear the chords. When you have the chords and strum on autopilot I believe you will amaze yourself with how easy the lyrics can be. Think about when we used to listen to the radio, 2 or 3 times hearing the song we could sing along, why because we were not over thinking it. Remember how hard it was to memorize a poem or speech in grade school? I am also a senior citizen, I sometimes have brain farts, but I can still learn new songs relatively quickly. Also I am not a great musician, so I work at it.
My wife is like that. She can sing the lyrics to every song she ever heard on the radio. I am not. I'm like Dick. A lot of the time I don't even know the name of a particular song that I've heard on the radio over the last forty years, let alone the words to it. I have to make a concerted effort to learn lyrics. They aren't buried somewhere waiting to get out.

Top Bottom