Worth Strings Question

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with strings a lot since I started playing tenor ukulele a few months back, and I have discovered not only do I like certain strings for my style, but furthermore I tend to prefer different strings on different ukes. I discovered Worth strings by accident, as one of the ukes I bought on here second hand came strung with worth strings. I had been wanting to try them out, but I found the choices to be so many that I didn't really know where to start. Anyway, I noticed that they have some sets that are 63" long. In doing the measurements on my tenors, it seems that I could cut them in half and get two sets for the price of one. Has anyone successfully done this? Why do they sell sets that are 63" long?

Thanks!

kevin

Hi Kevin, yes, that is exactly what they're designed to do - get two sets out of a package. It's also why they're a little pricier. You'll also see that Oasis has taken up this thinking too (doubling up). I'm a big fan of Worth Browns (BM/BT); they're my default go-to string.

The Worth strings usually come long enough to make two sets. If you want a start point you could try Brown Medium strngs which are mellow sounding. I have never tried their clear strings but they are claimed to be brighter sounding than the browns. Which you prefer will depend on the individual instrument?

I always thought it'd be nicer if they sold half the length at half the price, so that you don't have to pay for two restringings (or for two ukes) if you only want to try them out (especially since they have so many types). I like the standard tenor Browns (BT), but haven't tried most of the other gauges they offer. (Currently using Thomastik-Infeld CF30 and CF27 and Martin 620s for my tenor low-g setup.)

I really like Worth CT on my tenors. CT stands for Clear Tenor, it doesn't get any easier than that. As other have said you can get two sets from one package. If you happen to break a string it is great to have that back up set so you immediately have a replacement string at hand.

Great info! Thanks for clarification and input. It really helps to understand some tonal differences between brown and clear. I like the clears that came on the Mya Moe I bought on here, but I am thinking the browns may sound better on my spruce top Kanile'a. Now that I have finally gotten my first case of UAS under control, I am dealing with a bout of String A S :)

I also love Worth CT's........a nice mid-spectrum tone. Pricey, but as most above have said, you get 2 sets

Just to say that Omega Music offer single length sets of some Worth strings. I'm not sure that this information is of any use to anyone outside the UK but, well... there it is :)

I like the Worth Browns low g because the c or g are not wound. I have installed many sets of Worth on the ukes I built and sold.

I like the Worth Browns low g because the c or g are not wound. I have installed many sets of Worth on the ukes I built and sold.

Yeah, I tend to prefer non wound as well. I find it more balanced both in tone and feel. I've noticed in my research that some people go as far as combining 2 or more brands or models to get the feel/tone they are after. Most commonly I have seen them use 3,2 & 1 from a set, and then find a single flourocarbon 4th.

Hi Kevin,

Glad that you are enjoying the MM. I've all the sets ive explore on the two MM's I've owned, I always come back to Worth.

If you do go low G unwound, you will need to look at widening the nut slot to accomodate the extra girth of the unwound low g string. A wound low g fits into your current slot just fine, I experimented with a fremont soloist but for whatever reason it didn't sing as well as it did with a normal worth high G. Keep on having fun and enjoy, the Kanilea spruce top is a very sweet sounding uke that I also feel sings very well with worth strings.

Hi Kevin,

Glad that you are enjoying the MM. I've all the sets ive explore on the two MM's I've owned, I always come back to Worth.

If you do go low G unwound, you will need to look at widening the nut slot to accomodate the extra girth of the unwound low g string. A wound low g fits into your current slot just fine, I experimented with a fremont soloist but for whatever reason it didn't sing as well as it did with a normal worth high G. Keep on having fun and enjoy, the Kanilea spruce top is a very sweet sounding uke that I also feel sings very well with worth strings.

Thanks Ryan! The Mya Moe #1818 is amazingly distinct from any other uke I have played. I don't know if the maple fretboard plays into it or why it is, but it seems to sit in a different frequency than all the other ukes I have played or heard. I used to own a full scale recording studio, and did a lot of engineering over the years, and so my ears naturally pay attention to where instruments sit relative to frequency. I am just now getting enough technique to start doing some recording and I am very curious to see the frequency spectrum this uke generates when recorded. When played by itself it seems on the quiet side, but when I have played along with some of the jams on UU Friday Jam, the first time I played along with this uke, I was shocked at how it stood out relative to other ukes I had used to play along with the jams.

The Worth strings usually come long enough to make two sets. If you want a start point you could try Brown Medium strngs which are mellow sounding. I have never tried their clear strings but they are claimed to be brighter sounding than the browns. Which you prefer will depend on the individual instrument?
Love the clear for soprano but default for tenor are brown med..

Top Bottom