Anyone have experience with a KAKA KOA TENOR UKULELE?

Yes. I bought my Kaka KUT-MAD from ukuleleplace. It's a great sounding, easy playing ukulele at a crazy low price. I haven't played the KUT-70, but know it's a laminate body. Ukuleleplace were good to deal with despite being a small operation, answering my emails and giving frank advice (instead of trying to upsell me). My uke came setup well; I haven't changed a thing except for the G string. No idea if this is thanks to the retailer of if they all come like that.

My next bought ukulele will be a Kaka or Enya (premium version from the same company) for sure. They've got a series of new models coming out that I'm keeping my eye on.

Last edited:
I'm looking for an uke to learn on and I'm tempted by the ukes on ukuleleplace. I'm after a tenor though and he's running short of supply it appears. Reckon CITES has something to do with it?

I just received the concert version in sapele for $35 w/ case and free shipping. No setup needed and the finish looks more like koa than mahogany. I can find no flaws. Perhaps the nicest $35 concert uke out there. Sounds better than it's price would indicate. Not sure that setup is worth $100

I feel so shallow for thinking this way, but I'd never buy an instrument called Kaka.

I heard a rumour that Kaka were introducing a new budget brand called Malaka.

I feel so shallow for thinking this way, but I'd never buy an instrument called Kaka.

Hey, it's a K-brand after all! :D

Mine just has a K on the slotted headstock, in inside label can be removed or obscured, and it's just a loaner uke for our new uke group. I can live with that. Of course KAKA is embroidered in huge, colorful letters on the gig bag that came with it, LOL. Guess it will get smiles for more reasons than one.

I'm looking for an uke to learn on and I'm tempted by the ukes on ukuleleplace. I'm after a tenor though and he's running short of supply it appears. Reckon CITES has something to do with it?

My advice is don't be too cheap. If you buy a good ukulele that suites you as your first instrument then you won't waste money on a string of slightly more expensive ukuleles that are guaranteed to need to be replaced. I started and am staying with a Pono MT.

-- Gary

Last edited:
I have a Kaka concert. It has a big old K on the headstock and my first name starts with a K. I found mine at a music shop and yes they did set it up and it needed even more fine-tuning. But that was included in the price. but I didn't buy it I traded a bent neck parlor guitar for it some four years ago. I just had someone come over to look at the Barron River I'm selling and he played all my instruments. He noted that the Kaka is a nice sounding instrument. It also has a wide fretboard.

It used to be my jam ukulele and always turned heads. When people asked what it was I would say "it's my sh**ty ukulele." Then I was scolded for calling my instrument such a bad name, especially since it sounded good. I would reply "well the name is Kaka, I rest my case". It's definitely good for laughs and it was a good player for a while. And yes it has a K brand.

Mivo you just need to approach it with a sense of humor :) don't poo poo it so quickly

Ha! Poo poo, indeed. Your experience made me rethink Kaka. Especially now that their more expensive line is called Enya. But because I'll probably never see one in person, or anywhere I could but one set up, I have to stick with brands that have a proven track record.

Top Bottom