Bought my first guitar - Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

JonThysell

Reaction score
After a year of testing tons of different brands and models (both acoustic and classical), I finally found a guitar that I fell in love with as soon as I sat down to play.

It's a brand new Taylor GS Mini-e Koa.

gsmini1.jpg gsmini2.jpg gsmini3.jpg gsmini4.jpg gsmini5.jpg

I've been playing the uke for about 4 years now, and have bought and sold dozens of instruments as I learned what I liked and didn't like.

These days I pretty much just play my 19" bari, tuned Open G (DGBd) to play adapted arrangements of Hawaiian Slack Key tunes. Only occasionally do I take out my concert or soprano for some traditional cha-lang-a-lang.

It took a long time for me to accept and be comfortable with venturing out away from standard uke to baritone, then again away from the plethora of uke material in standard tunings to Open G. It's meant a lot of extra work transposing, but ultimately I love the tuning and the music I can make with it.

I started looking about a year ago, off and on, still debating if I as going to go ahead and get a guitar so I could play the original slack-key arrangements. I never found a full-sized or dreadnought model acoustic that I was comfortable with, and I never really liked the wide fret-boards on classicals or any size. I tried a GS Mini about a year ago, but I wasn't a good enough player to feel like I could make a call on the instrument. Likewise I had no luck with any of the various six-string ukes, like the Cordoba Mini. They were all way too cramped for my hands.

Now, a year later and a year better, I sat down with this koa model, and I loved it. The shorter scale and spacing were very comfortable (compared even to shorter scaled guitars I'd tried) and I love the mellow, rounded sound over what the spruce-topped ones make. The steel strings will get a little getting used to, but they're not as bad I was expecting. I love that it's small enough to have on my lap on the couch but not dead or muted sounding like so many of the smaller guitars I tested.

I have it tuned to taropatch Open G and there it'll stay. I have zero desire to learn standard tuning. The only things I want to play are slack-key, plus a little fingerstyle blues on the side.

Ok, time to train my thumb to start using those extra strings!

A couple more pics. I love that it came with a sturdy gig-bag, but I'll definitely pick up a hard case soon.

gsmini6.jpg gsmini7.jpg

Great choice. The shorter scale length will make it a bit easier for you starting out. I have a hog GS mini e and love it! You should have a blast with it once you get some steel string calluses.
Now watch out for GAS!
Cheers!

I own the mahogany GS Mini. It's a great guitar! The GS Minis sound better than they should.

Congrats on great little guitar. Those GS Minis play and sound sweet! :)

Congrats! I just bought my first acoustic as well, an OM body but shorter 24.9" scale. Just this past week I had a chance to play a Taylor mini Koa, it's a nice play!

I traded my Taylor GS mini for a tenor guitar. I really miss the Taylor and am gonna swap back asap

Jon, that is the nicest looking koa top on a Taylor GS Mini I have seen, congratulations. The GS Mini is a winner and widely regarded as the best smaller sized guitar. If I were to go down the rabbit hole of steel string acoustics that is the one I would buy. Enjoy it, sounds like you are already doing just that :music:

Last edited:
Jon, that is the nicest looking koa top on a Taylor GS Mini I have seen, congratulations. The GS Mini is a winner and widely regarded as the best smaller sized guitar. If I were to go down the rabbit hole of steel string acoustics that is the one I would buy. Enjoy it, sounds like you are already doing just that :music:

Woohoo!

I love mini. After noodling around on it for a few weeks I discovered I could also play the dreadnaught size Seagull I bought and never played because it was too huge.

Happy strummings on the new guitar :)

I was just looking at these on Reverb last night, congrats! It is one of the prettiest I have seen! I love the shorter scales with bigger bodies, and always wanted to try the Taylor but haven't come across one yet in person. Yeah watch out for GAS, mine are crowding me out of my office and I enjoy every one but keep telling myself buying cool guitars isn't going to help me learn to play any of them any faster. I'm sort of in functional art mode right now with my instruments, too much drama from the universe to actually sit and play much of anything.

Very nice guitar. I was thinking about learning to play the guitar when I found the ukulele. I still think about it once in a while, but the ukulele keeps me busy enough just trying to learn how to play it.

Top Bottom