Aquila KIDS colored strings

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Some time ago, Booli let me know about Aquila's coming KIDS strings, which are strings made (and priced) for education. Since that moment, I have been in touch with Aquila (in Italy) and here in the US (Cordoba is the distributor of Aquila strings).

We have already pre-ordered 120 sets from our local dealer (they aren't shipping quite yet), but Cordoba sent me a demo set. They arrived today...but instead of just one, they accidentally sent a full pack of twenty string sets.

I wrote to say thank you...and was kindly asked to send 19 sets back, as there was a shipping error--which I am going to do.

These are Supernylgut strings which are supposed to fit on Soprano through Tenor sizes...I'm not sure what the width issues will be with Tenors, but I'll find out. Tomorrow I am dropping my single set on one of our school's Concert Caramels.

For those of you who think this is a gimmick...when you teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, getting kids to play the right string is more than half of the battle. I'll be able to say, "Play the 1st String, the Blue string," which will help immensely.

Personally, I'm more of a fan of the feel of fluorocarbon strings...but the value in pricing (my local store can do a set of 20 for $45) and pedagogical value far outweighs buying spools of fluorocarbon strings for the program.

And here is how they look (in the package):

KIDS strings.jpgKIDS strings.jpg

I can see them being used on many of the color ukuleles out there.

i think this is a great idea! Bravo Aquila!

And I think it's even greater that you are spreading the uke-love to the kids, and hopefully starting some of them on a life-long musical journey.

Bravo to you!

Choirguy, you mentioned these in the Caramel thread and I wondered if they were just coming out. Aurora (I think) has had colored Aquilas for some time but I was never able to get them at my local. I wanted them for my granddaughters sopranino but found the Lucy colored strings available. They are translucent unlike the Auroras, which make them harder to identify against the wood color of the Uke. Are the Aquilas translucent?

*Edit*
Never mind I opened the pic and saw that the were solid colored. I'll check around, I have no need for 20 sets!

Last edited:
Ok, now I need a set for my tie-dyed Flea!

Scooter

Hey Choirguy, I agree that colored strings would be hugely beneficial. In our Uke class at our homeschool co-op just today I had a hard time with several students. Not understanding or quickly identifying which string to be on. We have a huge age range, from 7-16 y/o, and these strings would really make things easier.

Funny you posted this now. Just last night I ordered two sets of the Aurora multicolored strings, to use when I'm teaching my five year old daughter. Good luck to you! I do think using multicolored strings is a great idea and will be interested to see how it works for you and your students.

Cheers,
Max

Tell us how they sound on the Caramels. I always thought Aquilas were brash on mine, I've switched to Fluorocarbons, but I realize your position. Aquilas are good solid strings and should wear well. I was never able to keep them on long enough to wear out a set.:D I have six sets in reserve though.

The KIDS are "just" colored Supernylgut, so they sound the same as the stock Caramel strings. I'll see if time allows me to record some demos tomorrow.

Here is a video I made of the KIDS strings on a Caramel Concert Ukulele today.

Sounds the same to me too. Thanks for the video sound demo.

Kudos to Mimmo for making all of this easier for both teachers and students!

Hi!

Do you order these direct from Aquila or local distributor? I'll definitely take a 20 pack or two for the classroom.

My local Aquila (Cordoba) dealer ordered them. Had to prepay. So far, after they arrived last week Wednesday, I have managed to restring 19 Ukuleles so far. I'm trying to save the strings from our newest ukes...much faster to cut and restring!

Top Bottom