Left handed questions

biggoomba

Reaction score
I am extremely 'left sided' I am left footed, left handed, wander in left hand circles when thinking, and am 'left oriented' in every way shape and form. No matter how hard I tried, I could not strum right handed to save my life. Its a twangy discordant nightmare.

I currently have a Oscar Schmidt OU2LH Concert ukulele and have run into a couple of problems. It buzzes a lot and can sound bad if I try to play a little louder.

I also have short fat fingers and playing a chord like a D is a struggle. I am contemplating getting a new ukulele. Maybe a Tenor or maybe another Concert one if there is one out there with a little more room. Not sure what the best path is though because I struggle with chords like B minor too. I cant seem to reach my ring finger across without touching other strings.

If I were to get a different Ukulele, is there a difference between a RH and a LH other than string order? Is a LH the same as a RH but with the strings flipped (and maybe the decals too)

I will probably get something that was LH when new but if some amazing deal were to come up on a RH one, can I just flip the strings?

Anyone have one for sale or a good suggestion? I dont have a lot of $ so anything I get will need to be under $200

Most ukulele bracing is symmetrical, as the tension of the nylon style strings don't warrant extra strength on one side or the other. So, the answer to your question is yes. Other than built-in pickup controls or graphic designs, etc... you can pretty much buy any Uke and string it for either orientation.

If you were to buy a Fluke/Flea or a Mainland or anything directly from the manufacturer, you can just tell them when you order it which way you want it strung. I'm willing to bet many of the regular dealers on here (Mim, HMS, Uke Republic...) would also set one up as lefty before shipping as well.

Scooter

Top Bottom