Building the Custom Ukulele: What if the Customer Doesn't Like it?

sequoia

Reaction score
I've only built one custom uke before and I did not enjoy the experience. Now, I find myself in the position of building another custom uke (against my better judegement). However, the potential buyer asks a simple question: What if I don't like the final product?

Good question. How do you luthiers who build custom instruments deal with this? The client wants some rather eccentric ideas that might make an instrument less, let us say, sales worthy? It might not be accepted because it doesn't sound "warm" enough. What should the contractual agreement be here?

I've only built one custom uke before and I did not enjoy the experience. Now, I find myself in the position of building another custom uke (against my better judegement). However, the potential buyer asks a simple question: What if I don't like the final product?

Good question. How do you luthiers who build custom instruments deal with this? The client wants some rather eccentric ideas that might make an instrument less, let us say, sales worthy? It might not be accepted because it doesn't sound "warm" enough. What should the contractual agreement be here?

if the customer does not like it...he should be able to return it....you can try to fix what he does not like...fit and finish wise...but if the customer does not like the tone....that should be on the builder.....IMO

the builder should know what he is doing but the customer must do his homework too.....builder should have a policy in place on returns
btw sometimes the builder has to say no on the build if he not comfortable....

my 2 cents

Last edited:
I was a hi fire potter for many years with my brother. Custom orders can be a PITA. We were always leery of those asking right away about not liking the end result;it was usually those that had eccentric requests. If it was customized to the point where we couldn't resell it and it was made to their specs with no defects; we'd take it back minus the deposit. If it could be resold, no problem.

It's always a good idea to require a healthy deposit on anything custom made. It keeps those who have ridiculous, off the cuff ideas from ordering whilly Nilly. It takes confidence to know if you want to tackle a project or not. Being able to say no saves you and the buyer a lot of headaches.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good advice. I hear you. If the customer doesn't like the sound, return no questions asked absolutely. I totally agree. I just have the feeling that they won't like any sound because they don't understand what ukulele sound they want to begin with. (Guitar player by way). I think no would be the best way to go here. I just need to think of a way to say it nicely. How about this: So sorry. It's not you, it's me.

This is where screening your customer is vital. A good customer won't reject your hard work and good product unless there really is something wrong with it. And if it there is they will let you fix it.

On the other hand a bad customer might try to return a product that is a fine instrument that you have inlayed I love you Jenny or some such thing that you could never resell.

I havnen't had that happen yet but it could and a small amout of that should probibley be priced in to commissioned instruments.

I also agree with those who say to get a very large deposit and you might even get additional payments before completion. I believe for most people it's easier to come up with smaller payment at the end. Thier financial circumstances could change or their interest in have a custom instrument could change. So the smaller amount they have to come up with at the end the better.

Last edited:
if the customer does not like it...he should be able to return it....you can try to fix what he does not like...fit and finish wise...but if the customer does not like the tone....that should be on the builder.....IMO

Maybe I'm just the dream client, but I'm on a different page with this.

If I want a piece of work from a particular artist, I will find out what is available from that artist, and buy a piece that I like if one is available. If I choose to commission a piece of art from an artist, they're going to find out a few things about what I like and then they've got the reins. If I've chosen the right artist they'll deliver something I like. If they don't, then I didn't. I'm not going to go back to the artist and tell them how to fix it!

Same with instruments. If I choose to pay a large sum of money to somebody who doesn't know how to make a good sounding instrument, or puts the soundhole in the back or the bridge on the inside, that's on me for choosing them. Caveat emptor.

I think some buyers are just rissoles who see the person they're paying as labour for their personal creative vision. Stuff them.

Last edited:
I dont do custom jobs...I worry every time I sell one that the buyer will find something wrong with it.
My Grannie used tell me .."Theers nowt as queer as folk" ;)

Last edited:
Custom instruments are just that, a custom instrument. Made for one particular person. If he or she is insisting on certain aesthetic details that make it more difficult to sell you have a few choices: take it back with a full refund, take it back but with a certain proportion deducted, have a no return policy.
I ALWAYS make it clear that if they insist on something that is a little out of the ordinary, there's no return. None. I have a certain leeway with things like fretboard width, scale length, action, maybe wood choice. That's about it. Anything else and you could be setting yourself up for an instrument that no one else wants. Bad enough if you are an amateur or semi pro, terrible if you are relying on it for your weekly income.
You have to make that judgement but I will give you one piece of advice: don't make it any harder on yourself than it already is.

Last edited:
I no longer take deposits or do custom work. I don't know if it's arrogance on my part or just that I am at a place where I can say, " This is what I can do for you... if you want such and such I suggest you go to (insert name of appropriate build)." I think you get into a real mess when you allow clients control over fundamental design processes and decisions that are yours to make. I hope they have confidence to buy me and my designs, the complete package. Custom 'inlay' is an easy one - create the design, get it approved.

As another potter, I'd like to offer a few more thoughts on this:
In my way of thinking, there is a very big difference between a custom order and personalized order. I'm getting away from taking any orders at all, but try never to take ones for items with names or images that are specific to the customer. The risk of being stuck with them is just too great. If they want a mug in a color that I don't normally produce it in, then fine, I can always sell it someone else.

As taught by my mentor, I don't take deposits on orders, either. Here's the reasoning: if you want me to make something for you, great! I'll take down the info and how to contact you and let you know when it's ready. If you don't like it, I'll sell it someone else. I don't have to keep track of how much was paid and when or provide a refund on refusal (not very common.) It is important to note that I don't offer this up front or make it widely known. The greatest benefit to me is not having the pressure of a customer with "skin in the game" calling me up daily to ask on their order. I give an estimate on a completion date, but make it known that it may not be accurate and I will be the one to contact them when it is ready.

I'm fortunate that most of my materials are very inexpensive, so my upfront costs are low. I recognize that as the quality of the wood and hardware of a uke go up, this might not be practical advice for luthiers.

You have to be in a good position to not have to take deposits. There aren't that many makers who are. The problem is that you get too many people who change their mind. Once they have to pay a deposit it tends to focus their mind. Anyone can 'order' an instrument if they don't have to put something down, easiest thing to do in the world, zero commitment. Take their deposit, put it into a separate account. If for some reason you can't fulfill their order, pay them back in full. It only gets a little tricky with overseas orders and money exchange fees. That's the only time it will cost you.

Thanks for the good advice. I hear you. If the customer doesn't like the sound, return no questions asked absolutely. I totally agree. I just have the feeling that they won't like any sound because they don't understand what ukulele sound they want to begin with. (Guitar player by way). I think no would be the best way to go here. I just need to think of a way to say it nicely. How about this: So sorry. It's not you, it's me.

"I don't think I can meet your expectations and I don't want to waste your time."

ASSUMING all the woodwork, finish and tone are good quality. Then there would be no reason for them to return it. However,,..

My warranty stipulates items can be returned after a trial period (This is a standard position to have).

BUT if any strange custom work is on it, then the customer has to pay for my time to change those things back to a sellable instument.

To use a outlandish example, if i had inlayed "I Love Justin Bieber" in MOP into the fretboard for them, they would have to pay me for the fingerboard replacement and extra finish work etc

A deposit is my first line of defence against 10 "can you" emails from someone.

Non refundable deposits seperate the time wasting tire kickers from those that are ready to commit to a custom instrument.

Last edited:
One good thing about a hobby is that you own it. When in a business, the customer drives it.

Those are not exclusive statements, but a fairly accurate generalization. If, for example, you are successfully selling your product but are not customer-driven, it may be because your product is excellent and you are supplying a customer niche. You don't have to take requests due to your skill set.

In fact, as seen here and perhaps experienced by a few of us, turning a customer loose on our product development can possibly put an end to that. If we are artisans of any degree, a demanding customer can stifle our creativity.

Moral of my story? Don't take request.

That's enough BS from me. (For now).

Last edited:
Yes I am fortunate - in fact, it's taken me just 21 years to be fortunate :) And the customer doesn't drive my business, I do. It's mine and as an artisan producing 'art' objects I have complete design control. Just me... I am not going to be swept along by anyone else whims!

I recall a successful luthier say that he will make a personalized instrument but if it is rejected and it has poor resale value then he deducts an appropriate amount from the refund. If it is an easy sell then the customer gets all the money back. Maybe a consignment deal, you will try to sell the instrument for an agreed price, if it does not sell well it might be priced too high. If the customer wants to sell it himself if he think he can do a better job all the power to him. Unless the builder oversold his talents and the customer is looking for something out of line of what the builder is known for the builder should not be the one holding the bag.

At least in my mind.

Refund their money if they are not happy after the inspection period. Make sure you understand what their gripe is. It may be legit or you may have to educate them on some aspect of the instrument.

But let's back up a bit. The better advice is to never build an instrument that you couldn't easily resell. I warn my customers against highly personalized ukes for the same reason. Custom ukuleles are like baseball cards, they are traded and resold all the time and they represent a substantial investment. It's nice to know that investment is liquid if the need arises. If someone insists on you doing something very unusual, make sure make sure you've got the skills to carry it out successfully to minimize any possible disappointment. If it's an inlay with their name on it, for instance, the customer should be well familiar with and happy with your work and trust you to do a job where they will not want to return it. Know your customer and know your limitations and comfort zone. And it's OK to say no if you feel uncomfortable for any reason at all.

Chuck, I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't ever have my name as part of the décor of my uke, I'm not famous yet.

Top Bottom