Trying to decide on a baritone ukulele

Reaction score
I am not a beginner to ukulele, but I am new to baritone ukuleles and so I thought this would be the best place to ask my question. I am trying to decide on what baritone ukulele to buy. I don't want to spend too much, but I want a quality instrument. The two ukuleles I am looking at are the Kala KA-SBG mahogany/spruce and the Kala KA-ASAC-B solid acacia

The first one is quite a bit less and more in my preferred price range, but from the sound samples I like the second one and the second one is really nice looking. I don't mind the look of the KA-SBG, but I much prefer the darker/less plain look of the KA-ASAC-B. I am not sure if I should pay more or settle for the first one. It took a several months to save up and I have the money for either one, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe there are other ukuleles that are a better value. I mainly want these because they're from Hawaii Music Supply and I've heard that their set-up is really good and they do it to every ukulele.

P.S. Another one that I found on HMS is the Kala SMHB Solid Mahogany. It's in between the two price ranges and I like the look better than the KA-SBG. It's sounds pretty nice as well. Still, I would like to have any suggestions you have before I buy one. I am not rushing into buying something when there could be a better deal.

Last edited:
I am mostly a tenor player, but wanted to offer that you are also looking and comparing a gloss (SBG) uke to 2 non-gloss ukes (ASAC-B & SMHB)...

...the consideration for me is that while the gloss may provide an added layer of 'protection' of dings on top of the wood, that might be able to be resurfaced if not too deep in that one spot and thus prevent a crack from the impact - for me the gloss is a magnet for smears and fingerprints and forces me to wipe down the uke almost to a hypo-allergenic level due to my latent OCD, and this is a PITA LOL

also, for me the FEEL of gloss is not better than the FEEL of the actual WOOD, as I like to FEEL the wood of the uke, but this may not matter to other folks...

and one topic I will mention but NOT discuss is if gloss finish hinders the tone and/or vibration of the uke as opposed to a matte or satin finish as there have been almost religious wars on this topic here on UU and on various geetar forums in the past, and I'd rather not get embroiled in such discord...

but in any event - I wish you the best of luck in your quest :)

I know two people that I respect, are good players and own multiple expensive custom ukes. You know what they have in common, they both own Kala SMHB and love them. I have played one and was extremely impressed with the sound quality. Best bang for the buck on great sounding all solid wood baritone.

From my experience, you can't go wrong with a Kala uke. All things being equal, if you plan to play it for a long time, why not invest in the one you like the best?
I used to be enamored by shiny. But my last uke was coated with satin, and I find that I'm liking that even better. I'm not much of one for wiping down my ukes, and I don't mind scratches from playing, so it suits me well.

The Kala KA-ASAC-B solid acacia is beautiful, sounds great and is all solid wood (including back/sides) I think, based on price and description, the Kala KA-SBG mahogany/spruce, has solid spruce top, but the back/sides are probably laminate. The SMHB Solid Mahogany is all solid wood and amazing value for sure! It seems like the best deal and is highly reviewed!

I am very new to the instrument, but one thing I have learned in my limited time playing/buying: Spend more time researching, listening and if possible; get it in your hands and play it before you buy it. Also, if you really like one over the other, for multiple reasons, if at all possible - save up and get that one rather than settling for the "more affordable one"

Good luck with your decision!

I have not a baritone yet (next year maybe) but I seen both the Vic Schmeltz's review of KA-SMHB on youtube and it seems really, really lovely and this demo of the KA-ABP-CTG (probably the same model uke1950 has)

and I find it amazing. And it is on the quite same price range of the KA-SMHB.
It would be hard for me choose between these two.

Anyway, totally agree with Nickie, can't go wrong with Kala. Really outstanding quality for price.

the caramel baris seem to get some love and they are reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/Caramel-CB103A-Baritone-Acoustic-Ukulele/dp/B01IOJ0TQS

I have a CB-103 with equalizer and I think the Cedar topped Kala is a might better in tone, but I only played it for a few moments in a shop. It was a good or better sounding as a used King Custom that sold for about three times the price. However my Caramel was only $85 and without a side by side test seems almost as good as the Kala.

I am not a beginner to ukulele, but I am new to baritone ukuleles and so I thought this would be the best place to ask my question. I am trying to decide on what baritone ukulele to buy. I don't want to spend too much, but I want a quality instrument. The two ukuleles I am looking at are the Kala KA-SBG mahogany/spruce and the Kala KA-ASAC-B solid acacia

The first one is quite a bit less and more in my preferred price range, but from the sound samples I like the second one and the second one is really nice looking. I don't mind the look of the KA-SBG, but I much prefer the darker/less plain look of the KA-ASAC-B. I am not sure if I should pay more or settle for the first one. It took a several months to save up and I have the money for either one, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe there are other ukuleles that are a better value. I mainly want these because they're from Hawaii Music Supply and I've heard that their set-up is really good and they do it to every ukulele.

P.S. Another one that I found on HMS is the Kala SMHB Solid Mahogany. It's in between the two price ranges and I like the look better than the KA-SBG. It's sounds pretty nice as well. Still, I would like to have any suggestions you have before I buy one. I am not rushing into buying something when there could be a better deal.

I really like my Kala tenor. If you want a baritone, I would save up for a Kamaka bari. It is outstanding, I realize it is above your price range, but I would still hold off until I could afford a Kamaka bari. Good Luck

If you can swing it, spend the extra $ and get the uke you prefer. You will be happier.

Top Bottom