Didgeridoo

Nickie

Reaction score
I've had two You Tube lessons on beginning to play the didgeridoo. Then I caught a very bad respiratory infection. Not able to get back to it yet, I can't wait to get well.
Does anyone here play the didge?

No I don't play it but your illness reminds me of bagpipers lung. (No I don't play them either but it is a genuine complaint). Hope you get better soon.

No, but they do sound cool. I remember the group Jamiroquai would add them in to their music sometime. Are they LOUD?

I used to play the didge, circular breathing and all.
Love the simplicity of it; grown in nature, hollowed out by termites, and voiced by breath.

Hope you can toot again soon!

I used to play the didge, circular breathing and all.
Love the simplicity of it; grown in nature, hollowed out by termites, and voiced by breath.

Hope you can toot again soon!

I CANNOT get that circular breathing thing down ....it winds me so much the F up !!!!

I CANNOT get that circular breathing thing down ....it winds me so much the F up !!!!

The key to this is understanding that it isn't actually breathing.

An Aussi gave me a great tip with a glass of water and a straw.
Step 1: Puff up your cheeks (pretend that you have your mouth filled with water), put the straw in the water and blow bubbles by pressing the air out of your cheeks. Use your fingers to press your cheeks in, if needed.
Step 2. Now puff up your cheeks again and simply breath in trough your nose (no straws needed for this step).
Step 3: combine the two by pressing the air out of your cheeks while breathing in trough your nose.

Once you get the 'rythm' of the simultaneous actions you're good to go.

Last edited:
I have two of them, we give it a shot about once a year. I am CRAZY for the music they make! Didge and cellos, mmmmm and ahhhh. Music of the spheres.

I've had two You Tube lessons on beginning to play the didgeridoo. Then I caught a very bad respiratory infection. Not able to get back to it yet, I can't wait to get well.
Does anyone here play the didge?

Good for yousa!

But be careful Nickie -

Long lost fellow UU brother Ivan Olarte was posting here on the forum quite often, and THEN he got into the didgeridoo, posted a few vids of his new instrument on his YT, showed some signs of didgeridoo-acquisition-syndrome (DAS), and despite his wall of like 30 ukes behind him in every video, Ivan has not been heard from since...

methinks it could be a slippery slope - PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! :) LOL

The key to this is understanding that it isn't actually breathing.

An Aussi gave me a great tip with a glass of water and a straw.
Step 1: Puff up your cheeks (pretend that you have your mouth filled with water), put the straw in the water and blow bubbles by pressing the air out of your cheeks. Use your fingers to press your cheeks in, if needed.
Step 2. Now puff up your cheeks again and simply breath in trough your nose (no straws needed for this step).
Step 3: combine the two by pressing the air out of your cheeks while breathing in trough your nose.

Once you get the 'rythm' of the simultaneous actions you're good to go.

Cheers Sven....must remember this....and to blow not suck :drool:

I play the didge, make them too.
It took me around six weeks of one or two hours a day to get the breathing sussed but, 3 years later, I am still progressing & leaning.
I have made quite a few, all from locale wood like Hornbeam, Cypress, Plumb & many more. Some are huge, some small all are great fun to play :)
I made this Apple one not long after I first got the breathing in my brain...... I use a much better style of breathing now but it all takes practice....

Good for yousa!

But be careful Nickie -

Long lost fellow UU brother Ivan Olarte was posting here on the forum quite often, and THEN he got into the didgeridoo, posted a few vids of his new instrument on his YT, showed some signs of didgeridoo-acquisition-syndrome (DAS), and despite his wall of like 30 ukes behind him in every video, Ivan has not been heard from since...

methinks it could be a slippery slope - PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!! :) LOL

:rotfl::rotfl:

I play the didge, make them too.
It took me around six weeks of one or two hours a day to get the breathing sussed but, 3 years later, I am still progressing & leaning.
I have made quite a few, all from locale wood like Hornbeam, Cypress, Plumb & many more. Some are huge, some small all are great fun to play :)
I made this Apple one not long after I first got the breathing in my brain...... I use a much better style of breathing now but it all takes practice....

wow mate that's awesome (scared the crap out of my cat though ...!)

Top Bottom