Didgeridoo

I play the didge, make them too.
It took me around six weeks of one or two hours a day to get the breathing sussed but, 3 years later, I am still progressing & leaning.
I have made quite a few, all from locale wood like Hornbeam, Cypress, Plumb & many more. Some are huge, some small all are great fun to play :)
I made this Apple one not long after I first got the breathing in my brain...... I use a much better style of breathing now but it all takes practice....

That was great!
Mike, I'm so sorry I didn't get with you at TBUG for a didge lesson. I
am feeling much better, but still spitting up copious amounts of snot, and can't take a deep breath without hacking. My chest x-rays were clear....

Lol this had me laughing I couldNT help it trying to stop trying not to wake my better half next to me but my stomach hurts so much and shaking the bed with muffled laughter and tears
Sorry I know this is a sincere tutorial (and yes, Lou ferrigno is talented in this instrument I had no idea) but it was just made me laugh too hard

Ants (termites) take to long I use specially trained wood boring ferrets....

Fotobombed by a Ferret ....love it ....I have a cheapy Indonesian "tube" but I can't get the breathing technique at all been trying for years ...I suppose I should lock myself up on a remote hillside some summer for a week and try it ....great sounds ...all the best to Flossy (?)

Last edited:
Great thread, i really enjoyed it. Thanks, CeeJay.

Ever hear Niccolo Paganini's "Moto Perpetuo"? I have it by Wynton Marsalis on trumpet. Leaves one breathless (Ha?).

I learned circular breathing out of curiosity one time, but I don't really have a use for it. :eek:ld:

I've put in my two cent on this because I bought one in Australia years ago. Occasionally I break down and play it a bit. I don't think I ever got the breathing right but when I'm in the mood it's fun to play, Note, it's not competition for the ukulele.

-- Gary

I have one. Its an decent economy didge made of pvc from a reputable retailer.
Still haven't mastered the circular breathing bit.

Is it possible to play this in a group? Been trying to figure out how it would fit in - maybe like a baritone sax?

My friend has a rain stick; not sure how that would work either.

If there's enough ukes on a song (& am not playing bass), will play a shaker for variety.

Step 1: Puff up your cheeks (pretend that you have your mouth filled with water), put the straw in the water and blow bubbles by pressing the air out of your cheeks. Use your fingers to press your cheeks in, if needed.
Step 2. Now puff up your cheeks again and simply breath in trough your nose (no straws needed for this step).
Step 3: combine the two by pressing the air out of your cheeks while breathing in trough your nose.

Once you get the 'rythm' of the simultaneous actions you're good to go.
I just tried that. Really interesting that I've not accidentally done anything like that in my life. I can keep refilling my cheeks but don't think I could maintain a continuous (buffered by the cheeks) airflow out the mouth.

Last edited:
I just tried that. Really interesting that I've not accidentally done anything like that in my life. I can keep refilling my cheeks but don't think I could maintain a continuous (buffered by the cheeks) airflow out the mouth.
If you got really good at this you could play the didgeridoo and the ukulele at the same time. You’d have to rig up a gigantic hands-free holder to prop up the didge, something like the round-the-neck thingy that harmonica players use to hold the harp in place. Only problem: what the hell kind of music would you play?

Wow! Zombie thread back from the dead...

We got really into the Doo's for a while at my old wood shop. Came up with a way to make them out of eucalyptus without any ants or termites involved. We had a huge euc grove out back of the shop (here in CA)... I was making them and my partner was selling them. We both got really into playing them...

Found out that not too many people were into hearing them, my family especially.

And then he took off with all the money we made...

I should put a new mouthpiece onto the ONE he left behind... Kinda fun to play actually... once you get the breathing down!

If you got really good at this you could play the didgeridoo and the ukulele at the same time.... Only problem: what the hell kind of music would you play?
Many years ago when vacationing on Grand Bahamas (specifically, Pelican Point) I purchased a conch with a machined mouthpiece in its end. I am pretty good at playing that but it only has one note. I need to find it and determine the pitch. I would have to tune a 'doo to match, kind of like the macho and hembra of a bongo kit. At least I wouldn't have to hold the bongo.

Like you said it would be hard to hold and play a uke, conch, shell, and 'doo at the same time :)

At least I could use a stand to hold the bongo.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could make a similar instrument, albeit shorter, maybe try and play an old radiator hose off an old Chrysler ?

That will work... and swinging a corrugated hose like that above your head will also make a tone. The tone changes the faster you twirl it... They make colorful hard plastic hoses like that as kids toys... with a little practice you can play the entire harmonic sequence!

Natural gas supply pipes, like the one you hook your gas dryer up with, will also work. You can either blow into it or swing it around.

I will be difficult to twirl it around AND play a ukulele, however... But a didgeridoo? Possible...

A think you could play a ukulele and a didgeridoo at the same time, actually... I saw someone who had adapted a clarinet stand so that they could play the 'doo using no hands!

Not sure you would want to do that, but... possible.

Last edited:
Many years ago when vacationing on Grand Bahamas (specifically, Pelican Point) I purchased a conch with a machined mouthpiece in its end. I am pretty good at playing that but it only has one note. I need to find it and determine the pitch. I would have to tune a 'doo to match, kind of like the macho and hembra of a bongo kit. At least I wouldn't have to hold the bongo.

Like you said it would be hard to hold and play a uke, conch, shell, and 'doo at the same time :)

At least I could use a stand to hold the bongo.

I got a conch shell already set up that way that I bought at the Punta Banda blowhole, near Ensenada, BCN, Mexico. Also plays just one note... but you can hear that note from a mile away. Mine sounds just like a foghorn!

Top Bottom