Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Didgeridoo

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfish View Post
    I play the didge, make them too.
    How do you train the ants to do the hollowing-out?

I play the didge, make them too.
    It took me around six weeks of one or two hours a day to get the breathing sussed but, 3 years later, I am still progressing & leaning.
    I have made quite a few, all from locale wood like Hornbeam, Cypress, Plumb & many more. Some are huge, some small all are great fun to play
    I made this Apple one not long after I first got the breathing in my brain...... I use a much better style of breathing now but it all takes practice....

That was great!
    Mike, I'm so sorry I didn't get with you at TBUG for a didge lesson. I
    am feeling much better, but still spitting up copious amounts of snot, and can't take a deep breath without hacking. My chest x-rays were clear....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by jop View Post
    Ants (termites) take to long I use specially trained wood boring ferrets....

Quote Originally Posted by mds725 View Post
    Lol this had me laughing I couldNT help it trying to stop trying not to wake my better half next to me but my stomach hurts so much and shaking the bed with muffled laughter and tears
    Sorry I know this is a sincere tutorial (and yes, Lou ferrigno is talented in this instrument I had no idea) but it was just made me laugh too hard
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

Ants (termites) take to long I use specially trained wood boring ferrets....
    Fotobombed by a Ferret ....love it ....I have a cheapy Indonesian "tube" but I can't get the breathing technique at all been trying for years ...I suppose I should lock myself up on a remote hillside some summer for a week and try it ....great sounds ...all the best to Flossy (?)
    Last edited by CeeJay; 02-19-2017 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jop View Post
    They stick one end into a termite mound the termites eat the inner live wood, leaving the outer dead layers.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

The real question is do you prefer your didge re-entrant or linear

Great thread, i really enjoyed it. Thanks, CeeJay.

Ever hear Niccolo Paganini's "Moto Perpetuo"? I have it by Wynton Marsalis on trumpet. Leaves one breathless (Ha?).

I learned circular breathing out of curiosity one time, but I don't really have a use for it.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo - G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Two ukes are better than one. Uh, what’s better than two?

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

I've put in my two cent on this because I bought one in Australia years ago. Occasionally I break down and play it a bit. I don't think I ever got the breathing right but when I'm in the mood it's fun to play, Note, it's not competition for the ukulele.

-- Gary

Default My Personal Didgeridoos

IMG_0391.jpg

This is a photo of two of mine, I crafted and painted these ones. The light coloured wood you can see is the Sapwood, the darker wood is the Heartwood, there's an art to crafting them to get the best sound and playability, as well as visual appearance but visual appearance is secondary, but of course I try to get the best appearance as well whenever it's possible, as we all do.
    I can play Didj. I learnt to craft them about ten years ago, taught by an Indigenous fella who I met through circumstance over East, it's a bit of a long story, but anyway I was taught very well, Johnny was from Northern Territory where they have Traditional Rights over the Didj. Contrary to popular belief the Didj is not Traditional all over Australia but from up North. These days it's accepted as being part of Aboriginal Culture throughout the country, but originally it wasn't that way. Essentially I was taught to find the right trees, to be able to identify which ones have the core eaten through by Termites, and how to craft them, by someone who was from there, and he had Traditional Rights. It's considered important not to destroy trees unnecessarily, so it's important in that respect to find the correct ones and not just go willy nilly and cut down everything in sight, only the ones you need, and that are already dead or will die soon because they are eaten through. Even dead trees are important to the environment, they are the homes or shelter of many native animals and important for habitat in many regards.
    I had already begun playing before I met him. I haven't played for a few years, but I still can and I like to craft them.
    Last edited by Dean Beaver; 07-19-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Thread Information