Another Worth String Question

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In my last Worth question/post, I learned about some of the differences between worth clear/brown, and also learned to get two sets by cutting them in half. Thanks for that info!

Now I am hoping to get more info, specifically about the different gauged brown sets. I bought some worth BT's assuming they would have similar tension as the CL's. I know . . . 1st mistake was to assume anything. The tension on the BT's is definitely lower. If I understand the terminology CL are clear lights. The BT's are looser than the CL's were. So before ordering a half dozen different Worth sets, I thought I would check here to see if anyone has any experience with the thicker gauged browns? I have found BL, BT, BM, BF, BS, BC, BL. Has anyone tried all of these? I get BL-light, BM-medium, I am guessing BT is in the middle of those two, but BF and BS? That's a lot of strings to experiment with. My initial thought was just to order some mediums, but maybe someone here has a suggestion? I'd like something in the browns with noticeably more tension than the BT's. The uke I am wanting to use them on, has a carbon fiber rod, so it can handle the higher tension.

Thanks!

Are you saying you put BT on a tenor ukulele and they had less tension than CL, were these CL on a tenor uke or a different size uke.

This could get very long and confusing so I will try to be clear. Worth string gauges or diameter are designated by T for tenor largest gauge highest tension, M for medium usually concert scale, smaller diameter lower tension, L for light usually soprano scale, smallest diameter lightest tension.

If I want to increase the tension on a tenor scale instrument with florocarbon strings I go for large diameter. If I want to decrease the tension using the same make of strings I decrease the diameter. As an example I have less tension with CL than with CT on the same instrument. South Coast strings has a LOT of different diameter or gauges for the same instrument so you can get the tension you want.

I don't like Browns so I have never experimented with them enough to say Browns are lower tension than Clears are in the same gauge or diameter.

Are you saying you put BT on a tenor ukulele and they had less tension than CL, were these CL on a tenor uke or a different size uke.

This could get very long and confusing so I will try to be clear. Worth string gauges or diameter are designated by T for tenor largest gauge highest tension, M for medium usually concert scale, smaller diameter lower tension, L for light usually soprano scale, smallest diameter lightest tension.

Thanks for your reply Dave

Yes, as a matter of fact, the CL's were on the same ukulele before. (According to previous owner) They came on the instrument I bought second hand.

I see that I was totally off on my assessment of light/medium. I used to play guitar, and those designations normally referred to gauge of the strings.

Interesting you mentioned South Coast. I tried the South Coast strings on this same instrument (In between Worth CL's & BT's) and didn't care for them. I exchanged a few emails with Dirk, and tried the ones he suggested for a custom instrument I am having made. I found them almost too balanced. I couldn't get enough bass from the low G (for my taste) nor did the A string sing as I like it too. He said the goal was to have each string equal and I guess he achieved that. It just was not too my taste. I may have had a bad set, as the E string was coming undone like a loose thread on sweater or something. I left them on for about 10 days and decided to change them to the BT's. I thought maybe the BT's just needed some time to settle in but it's been a week now, and they have not tightened to the same feel the CL's had. The low G is buzzing when I hit it too hard and it doesn't have the same volume it did with CL's.

Last edited:
The Worth page here has full specs of all their different strings - quite an impressive range!

If the Worth Page is accurate, there doesn't seem to be a lot of variation in their different models.

Worth CL is supposed to be for soprano and concert ukuleles not tenor. The L does stand for light. CM would be medium for soprano and concert.
Worth then designates some tenor sets as CT (clear tenor) and BT (brown tenor).
Putting strings that are intended for soprano and concert ukes on a tenor would explain the difference in tension I'd say.

I think you may be looking for Worth BS (brown strong):
http://www.elderly.com/worth-bs-strong-uke-set.htm

That said, make sure your uke is designed to handle higher tension strings without damage.

Last edited:
Thanks Jer!

I am going to give them a try. I think they must be made from a different material than the BT's because the gauges are about the same with only minor differences on the E and C strings. But the description on Worth's Page says they are harder and have inimitable stickiness (what ever that is) :)

I suspect "inimitable stickiness" means tuning stability. In any case, it's a lovely expression!

No problem. I'm not sure about the difference in materials on those strings. Maybe you'll be able to get more of the feel you want though.

Also, you noted your uke has a carbon fiber rod so it should handle the tension. That is great for the neck, but usually when you get a string that is too high tension for an instrument it's the bridge and body that are of concern too, often even moreso. An instrument has to have appropriate bracing for whatever strings are used. I'm not saying it's going to implode or something if the strings aren't a good match, but the higher the tension of the strings the more wear on an instrument over time. It's just a consideration. Your uke may not be effected at all, and even if it is it could possibly take years to show up. I just wanted to put that out there. It never hurts to check with the maker, especially if there is a warranty involved on said instrument.

DUD,

Have you ever tried the Worth CM on a tenor? I never really liked the feel of the CT for tenors, and am wondering how the CM may turn out.

No problem. I'm not sure about the difference in materials on those strings. Maybe you'll be able to get more of the feel you want though.

Also, you noted your uke has a carbon fiber rod so it should handle the tension. That is great for the neck, but usually when you get a string that is too high tension for an instrument it's the bridge and body that are of concern too, often even moreso. An instrument has to have appropriate bracing for whatever strings are used. I'm not saying it's going to implode or something if the strings aren't a good match, but the higher the tension of the strings the more wear on an instrument over time. It's just a consideration. Your uke may not be effected at all, and even if it is it could possibly take years to show up. I just wanted to put that out there. It never hurts to check with the maker, especially if there is a warranty involved on said instrument.

Thanks for that recommendation! I will contact Gordon at Mya Moe and get his input. When I first purchased this instrument I reached out to him and he immediately replied back. He suggested Worth Strings, but I did not realize at that time how many choices Worth offered.

The other option I am considering based on reading multiple threads here on UU about smooth wound low G strings; I may try just changing the low G out for a Freemont Soloist Wound. I have read good things about it, and I just got a few in the mail yesterday.

Is this for the MM you got from me? If so, it came to you with worth CT's, the original stock strings that MM ships them with. To my hands and ears, I find the worth CT to be optimal on the MM's.

Top Bottom