Kala Elite Series Neck Shape

Tanman

Reaction score
There's a lot to like about these USA made ukes, but sound and build quality aside I just wanted to mention the nice neck shape on them. With the 1.5" nut width and substantial depth to the neck profile, I think the neck feels very comfortable to me coming from guitar. It's not a baseball bat (e.g. Pono, though these can be comfortable), but the neck feels very "there"; and still very lightweight. I believe Kanile'as and Koalohas also have a 1.5 nut width, but in my experience the neck depth is much more shallow, almost slim especially the Kanile'a. Anyways different strokes for different folks, but just wanted to plug Kala for their fine Elite series. Just a happy customer. YMMV

Last edited:
They definately sound good and look great. I'd consider one. I'd like to play it first though. I think they will catch on. Good comments on the neck for those of us that have not had opportunity to play one.

My Elite has a grippy satin finish to the neck. Made me love it even more. :love:

True. Many people seem to think that there is one absolute ideal neck width, neck shape or neck thickness. There isn't, it cannot possibly be the case when fingers and hands come in all manner of sizes, not to mention different types of playing techniques and where people position their LH thumbs. No 'off the shelf' maker can possibly please everyone.

Thick, thin, deep, shallow, are all subjective - it would help more if people were to actually measure the depth from the top of the fretboard - just saying. :)

Edit: Preferably both at the nut & at the 12th fret.

OhioBelle, is the body of your uke gloss?

sorry, just saw this! life's been in the way and haven't posted for a couple of weeks. :)

yes, to answer your question, it is gloss. Crazy beautiful gloss, in fact. the headstock and neck are not, however.

As far as actual depth, I'm not a precision measurement-taker, but I have given it my best shot.

Wrapping my tape measure around the neck yields the following approximate measurements:

At nut: 10cm
At 10th fret: 13.6cm
At 12th fret: 15.5 - 16cm (trickier because the heel is sloping out from the back of the neck here)

The nut is 1.5 inches wide, or about 4.8 cm. Fingerboard width at 12 is about 5.8 cm. Hopefully this helps!

Have been on the road visiting family for a while, playing the Outdoor tenor. It is great and stays in tune even with temperature fluctuations in my car. But...

returned home and took the Kala out of its case - heaven! The sound is pure, lovely, mellow heaven. I love this thing!

Thick, thin, deep, shallow, are all subjective - it would help more if people were to actually measure the depth from the top of the fretboard - just saying. :)

Edit: Preferably both at the nut & at the 12th fret.

I somewhat agree to this, but numbers still won't be able to tell me much at all about neck shape. If we say the shape is like a 'C' or 'D' or 'V', that's just as subjective. Or how will, for instance, a 1.0 mm difference at fret X affect my playing comfort? Would 2.0 mm be a deal breaker? Although exact, numbers are still only an approximation for what will or won't feel good in our hands when we actually try different ukes out. Comparative adjectives may seem less precise, but I think they serve the same function here of giving a relative idea of how these necks compare when we don't have them to try out.

We normally measure neck depth, so neck including fretboard but excluding the fret. Unfortunately you'll probably need a caliper to do this accurately. just behind the 1 st fret and say fret 8.
Again neck shape is rather personal. 2.0 mm difference shouldn't be a deal breaker providing you like that difference. There's no law that states a thin neck is comfortable whilst a thick neck is not. Personal preference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom