Season 246: Trick or Treat - I want "candy"

Well now, boys and girls, I wasn't going to come out to play this week, was I, but this morning getting ready to go for my uke lesson, this song started forming in my head and by the time I was ready to leave the house it was almost there... came home and couldn't rest til it was done. Tried to sing it to the old man just now, (my Rock) and got all emotional! But I was ok on my owny-o with the webcam. I found there's already a song or two called Candy Kisses so I've changed mine....

Jim Reeves had a voice that was as smooth as black velvet. He did two "candy" songs that I know of; this is one. He was killed in a plane crash in 1964 at the age of 40.

Last edited:
A great and topical theme, Al! Whilst trying to find a "sweet themed" song, I came across this masterpiece from 1966, which I could not resist sharing. A naughty Serge Gainsbourg foisted this song upon a sweetly innocent 18 year-old France Gall, who really believed that she was singing about lollipops (sucettes). What am I talking about - this was 1966 - of COURSE it was about lollipops! But those dancers .... (Click on the link below and you'll be redirected to Youtube.)

Bloody hell!!!! :D The dancers in the costumes are hilarious though! Ol' Gainsbourg was a bit of a perv really...either that or he realised that sex sold and just went with it...

A great and topical theme, Al! Whilst trying to find a "sweet themed" song, I came across this masterpiece from 1966, which I could not resist sharing. A naughty Serge Gainsbourg foisted this song upon a sweetly innocent 18 year-old France Gall, who really believed that she was singing about lollipops (sucettes). What am I talking about - this was 1966 - of COURSE it was about lollipops! But those dancers .... (Click on the link below and you'll be redirected to Youtube.)

Since I don't understand French, I looked up the English translation to see if maybe the lyrics were more innocent than the video. They were not.

a homemade song. i totally thought it utterly and completely counted for the theme while i was working on it, but now it's done i'm not so sure! oh well, i'll find out soon enough! (if throwing the word "sweet" at a song about a gazillion times makes it counts, i'm good!)

sweet thing (how did you get to be so sweet)

This song was written by Maceo Pinkard, who also wrote "Sweet Georgia Brown," "Gimme a Little Kiss, Will Ya Huh?" and many other standards.

SOTU 212 - Trick or Treat - I want "candy" Witches And Goblins Tonight (Original)

Wrote this one recently for the grandkids for Halloween and Trick-Or-Treating. It's target audience is for first-time trick or treaters. The lyrics and chords used are in the YouTube description. I hope you enjoy it, had a lot of fun performing it:

Last edited:
Had fun made a little judgement video on the word sweet counting or not. Turns out since it is the sensation most associated with candy I will allow it.

Well another 24 hours has passed and wow another 11 songs! Everything is awesome so far and I'm anticipating whats yet to come. Thank you all so very much. It is going to be so hard to pick a winner everything being entered is gold.

mythinformed : Pure Imagination I have added this to the playlist I enjoyed it so much. If it wasn't entered in another contest I will consider it an official entry.

caspet : Sweets For My Sweet Very nice song well played and sung. I can tell this one is going to be replaying in my head quite a bit. Another gorgeous ukulele to boot.

pabrizzer : Dentists and Candy Man vs Tooth Fairy Yet another great original great playing as always and a ghost harmonica to boot. Great stuff.

LimousinLil : That Old Black Magic What a wonderful rendition of this song. I enjoyed your playing and singing very much. Beautiful ukulele is it a KoAloha?

bird's eye view of my ukelele : Gone and passes by I enjoyed this song as it brings me back to radio from my youth. Perfect strum with perfect lyrics this is next level here.

barefootgypsy : Come And Share Candy Kisses And it's outta the park, Home run! Wow great song great lyrics great playing great ukulele.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt : Georgia on my mind Bam yet another wonderful performance of a great song. I really like the balance of different technique being used throughout the song. I was expecting a whistle and got a do do that tipped slightly into scat, so very interesting it makes it your own.

AlanDP : A Nickel Piece of Candy How you made this song fit the ukulele has me at a loss for words. Well done.

bird's eye view of my ukelele : sweet thing (how did you get to be so sweet) Another awesome rockin original. Ok had to put my ukulele down my hand hurts and I have to finish keeping up. Awesome job.

Harry122 : Sugar What a fun song again Im expecting a whistle and I get piano this time. I love the unexpected. Well done.

ddanner : Witches and Goblins Tonight Another mind blowing original. Great vibe to the song. Wonderful group.

And with that I'm caught up to being around oh... 21 hours behind yet. ;) I will get to everyone I promise. Oh and the naughty little video from my birth year was fun!

~AL~

Last edited:
Huh...It never occurred to me that all these songs about candy are not really about candy...

;) After researching a lot of them and all those metaphors I feel slightly soiled, like I need to go to confession...! :D

Not worth worrying about. We'd have a very limited choice if we were confined to songs that are literally about sugar & candy. As it is we've a whole genre (bubblegum pop) to mine plus a good few others. Have fun and don't feel guilty.

:stop: Gotta allow 'sweet' as that is what you in the U.S.A. call 'candy'. :wallbash::nana::biglaugh:

(Presently looking into hopefully bringing something else more conventional along to the Season.)

Last edited:
Had fun made a little judgement video on the word sweet counting or not. Turns out since it is the sensation most associated with candy I will allow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnnUS6DCZc
yay!!! :D

i hope you're looking after alan, is he ok in that cupboard? are you feeding him? there's some cheese and candy left over from the double helping of the song wim brought oh wait no i ate all the candy, but there's still a bit of cheese.............................

I took a few days vacation from work, and had an unexpected chance to play in a quick one-hour gig this morning, so I thought I'd try to record this when I was still in some nice clothes instead of my usual t-shirt.

Well, the kids are out trick or treatin'
They don't look like we used to
Back when I dressed up like a pirate
Little sister was a gypsy too

Now my son is dressed up like Slenderman
He just stands there lookin' creepy
And my daughter is a life sized porcelain doll
With her face all smashed and leaky

And they don't get candy like we used to
Now it's all bite sized abominations
The grown ups warn 'em not to eat it all
But only in moderation
So I called ahead to a place I know
That'll give 'em lots of candy from a long time ago
So when they get home and empty it out
That's when I jump up and shout

You can have them gummy bears
I'll take that bit o honey
You can keep the twizzlers
I'll have the Mary Janes
You can have them old sour balls
I'll take them peanut butter logs
and Atomic Fireballs!

Yeah I told 'em Mary Jane means DRUGS
Sometimes they believe my tricks
They used to believe me when I said
There ain't no sugar in pixie stix
But they wised up when they found
That all the time I been puttin' 'em down
So now they get home and empty it out
And then they jump up and shout

We're keepin' them sweet gummy bears
We're keeping that bit o honey
We're gonna keep them twizzlers
And the Mary Janes
We're gonna have them old sour balls
And we're gonna eat them peanut butter logs
and Atomic Fireballs!

Oh, c'mon kids, won't you give me just one Atomic Fireball!

Last edited:
Not worth worrying about. We'd have a very limited choice if we were confined to songs that are literally about sugar & candy. As it is we've a whole genre (bubblegum pop) to mine plus a good few others. Have fun and don't feel guilty.

Yes the idea was for songs chosen to not have to be about candy yet have something associated to candy in the title, lyrics or band name. When choosing a theme first thing I did after scouring the past seasons to make certain I was doing something original was for me to start searching youtube for songs. I did this by typing various things like the word chocolate and peppermint before the word song. I quickly realized how many songs have flavors in them lemon, lime, butterscotch, etc and just how many different genres of music this reached.

Everything so far is great. Late start today I'm off to visit my lady and will get back on track tonight.

Thank you all.
~AL~

Top Bottom