"Avant garde" (that means "weird" ;-) ) jazz track

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
I like this new song. Reminds me a bit of Turkish music, and more a melange of Turkish and Israeli music, definitely Middle Eastern feel.

A while back, I was 'feeling out' writing some stuff with the 'harmonic minor' scales, not sure what 'mode' that is right now, but maybe you can look at that too for some more and different flavors.

I like the way that the melodic percussion, which sounds like a tabla and/or a wooden xylophone, is really driving the beat, really providing a forward momentum to the composition, and then combined with the chords, and then the wind-instrument melody that kind of floats over the sea of all the rest of the sounds...takes me to another place, very different from my own realm and/or comfort zone (which I appreciate).

I am having a bit of trouble with sensing the time signature, and it feels like a 5/4 or 7/4, what time sig is the recording?

In any case I think it's great that you've stretched into this new musical space, and from this first song, it is evident that you have a good feel for this, coming from me as non-Middle-Eastern person, but I have listened to fair bit of non-western 'USA', and non-western 'EU' music.

Lots of music from India, Pakistan and Asian regions seems shrill, brittle and very a-tonal to my own ears, having been deeply conditioned in the Bach/Beethoven/Mozart/Handel/Vivaldi/Divorak schema and most music derived from same over the years...

So without sounding like a gushing fanboi, I'll just say that I am looking forward to your next composition.

One last thing, by your production notes, it seems like a bit of a convoluted workflow, and one that I personally would shy away from (I really try to keep things as simple as possible for myself), unless sufficiently motivated, but the end result in your new song is proof that it works, and we live in a great time where so many musical tools are easily available on iOS and the computer...and you seem to have a good grasp of how to tie them all together, which is no small task.

Kudos Jim! Well done :)

Aw shucks, you makin me blush. :eek:. I'll try to respond to some of your comments.

FWIW, this scale is "the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale" or so says Wikipedia.

The time signature is plain old 4/4 but there are a couple of places when it moves between the one and two bar loops that it either lost or added a beat somehow so a couple of measures where it might sound like something else before it settles back to 4/4.

On the "workflow", yeah, I guess you're right about it being complicated. The thing is, it's always a little different. The hardest part is picking a starting point and an environment. That usually defines some limitations and provides a path forward. I don't usually see the end from the beginning. After that, you just keep making one step at a time until the piece tells you it's finished. :D

Top Bottom