• Longneck/Super Soprano

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Longneck/Super Concert

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Longneck/Super Tenor

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you need a "More than One" option in your poll. Having said that, if I was forced to pick one size and could only play that, it would probably be a 16" concert so I voted longneck/super concert.

I've only ever played concert and soprano, and out of the two I prefer the soprano - both cos its little and cute, and I just love the bright punchy sound.

I have tiny hands and always struggled with guitar, but sooner or later I'm going to try a tenor ;) Thinking I might get one from hora as I heard their tenors were on the small size, and I visit Romania regularly ...

I think you need a "More than One" option in your poll.

But then people end up with three or more favorites. :p People like me! I constantly go back and forth between soprano and tenor, depending on the week you ask me. I overall prefer the sound of a (good) soprano, which right now to me means something like a Kiwaya/Famous FS-5 (probably the sold wood ones too, but I haven't played one) or one of those dried out, super light 1920-30s hog sops. (I really do want to try out the concert size of the FS-5, but it's not all that cheap.) The idea was just to see which one size current posters prefer. :)

Tough call for me because I like the tone from a concert, as its closer to the classic uke tone, but the playability of the tenor... But I am going to let tone trump playability here, and I voted for concert sized.

So-pran-o all the way my concerts and my tenor sit unused while many of my sopranos are in rotation.

I have three Risa sticks a soprano a concert and a tenor and the body size is the same for all three. The actual difference in fret spacing is so minute its laughable. Well come to think I am playing my Risa tenor a bit but mostly due to the higher tension strings handling the down tuning to E A D G better.

~peace~

Concert. But I like the others too.

I started with a tenor, but now play concerts. I find them much easier for the 5-fret stretches required in some arrangements by John King and Daniel Ho. Some of the John King classical arrangements go to the 12th fret and beyond. I don't have hands the size of hams, so I don't find the fretboard to be particularly confining.

22x8, or as I call it, the John King troll chord :)

Sopranos all the way. Concerts are good too. Tenors are too big for what I like to play. Still yet to try a bari.

Concert for me, but that is what I have. Sometimes I think that I would like to get a soprano, but I don't need another ukulele laying around, so I don't ever buy one. I look at them a lot. I have never had the urge to go bigger though. If I went bigger I would just get a guitar, but I won't do that either probably. I have my hands full just learning to play the ukulele.

I agree with Jon, in as much as it depends on what feels right for the song. Perhaps it's because I'm still a beginner and finding out about the various sizes, but I honestly haven't got a preference; although I started off with a soprano, as I suppose most people do, and the sound that that produces must be the most "authentic" ukulele sound.

COncert, no question. If I'd figured that out sooner and stopped searching for some kind of holy grail (i.e. different sizes, + wood combos, etc) I wouldn't have gone through so many ukes. In 13 years & 30 ukes, more than half of them have been concerts. I had a long neck soprano, but the body was too awkward/small for me, so I figured out I like concert scale and body size combined.

Top Bottom