Upright bass hope I posted this to the right place

Czechmate01

Reaction score
OK I have a question for the very talented and knowledgeable musicians on this site. I know nothing about music theory, my daughter wants to learn to play the bass preferably an upright one, what do you do once you have learned the chords? How do you know how to incorporate that into the songs we play on the ukulele? Is it as simple as finding the songs in bass tablature or chords? If she decides she is serious about playing I will get her lessons, but have no clue where to start, I know we can rent the bass from her school I would rather she learn on the a regular base or the ukulele bass with the big rubber strings as the uprights are huge and we do not have a large car, though we do have several trucks she takes guitar lessons at her local high school. Every time she sees the upright she expresses the desire to learn. What is the natural progression for learning? Any tips, info a starting point?

Not knowing where to start, you might want to consider starting with the lessons. If she has an allowance, maybe take part of the lesson cost out of it to see how serious she is. Just a thought.

I would also think a fretted bass would be easier to learn on than a full upright. Has she been able to try an upright at all?

As far as playing bass with ukulele, the bass is going to be playing single notes. Start with just the root notes of the chords, then add fifths and connecting notes. Chording on the bass, especially an upright one, is generally considered a more advanced technique.

There is a specific bass forum, you can get to it below right with the popup Quick Navigation list. I started playing bass about two years ago without knowing anything about theory. At first I tried to learn on the internet, but I took it up to play with the ukulele to which I belong, so I was anxious to get proficient, so I took lessons, the best move I made.

For the almost 50 years I played guitar I was often told to take up the bass, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a big electric bass, forget an upright. When the leader of our group asked for volunteers to play bass, I looked up and discovered bass ukes and other small basses. I would strongly suggest that your daughter take her firsts steps using a bass ukulele. They actually have a very similar sound to an upright, especially using the Road Toad Pahoehoe strings. As you see by my signature, I've accumulated a good number of basses, both poly string ukes and mini electric steel string.

You can get a very good bass uke from www.Rondo.com (in New Hampshire) for around $160-180. As Jim mentioned, the bass is played one note at a time, both to harmonize with the chords being played by other instruments and to help keep the tempo. Another nice circumstance is that a good part of playing bass is the pattern of notes on the fretboard, they tend to be very consistent as you play with the chords in the song.

So taking lessons would be very good, and using a small bass too.

Top Bottom