advice on a small tenor or big-sounding concert

Ziret

Reaction score
I would like to buy a more-expensive uke--midrange, that is. My problem, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, is that I like the sound of a tenor, but the size of a concert. So does anyone know of any tenors that have small bodies (besides Mya Moe--way too expensive) or concerts with a bigger, tenor sound? Thank you for your help.

How about Romero Creations Tiny Tenor?

Another vote for the Tiny Tenor. Or you could look for a concert-size pineapple. The larger pineapple body gives a bigger sound.

Wow, I just listened to the Tiny Tenor at HMS and it is gorgeous. I wish I could play one around here. It's on my list, thank you.

I will check concert-sized pineapple. I have never played a pineapple either.

In both cases, I wonder how they feel to hold and play. I know that's very individual, but how does it feel to you? There's no uke store within 250 miles from here, and I don't know anyone with either of those.

All things being equal, would you choose the pineapple or the tiny tenor?

Thanks again.

Ohana CK35L may interest you, tenor scale with a concert body, solid mahogany.

I don't think that the scale is the issue for me, in fact the shorter neck of the concert is fine. It's just that I like the tenor sound, and, unfortunately, the concert size. I realize physics gets in my way on this. I do like mahogany, though. Do you think the Ohana has a tenor sound?

Might be higher than your price range (look 2nd on UU?), but the smaller sized bodies tenors that first come to my mind are Collings and Larrivee.

Might be higher than your price range (look 2nd on UU?), but the smaller sized bodies tenors that first come to my mind are Collings and Larrivee.

Thanks, I've been watching them used on UU and I think they are still outside my price range. That would be wonderful, though.

I don't think that the scale is the issue for me, in fact the shorter neck of the concert is fine. It's just that I like the tenor sound, and, unfortunately, the concert size. I realize physics gets in my way on this. I do like mahogany, though. Do you think the Ohana has a tenor sound?

Very few if any mid priced concerts will have a tenor sound. You might get close with a custom builder but that is expensive.

As you said you are fighting physics and physics always wins. The Tiny Tenor is brilliantly designed because the body shape has more volume then a figure 8 shaped concert. The scale length is a tenor length of 17" and that DOES make a difference in sound. The longer strings oscillate more adding to a fuller more resonant sound. A very good friend has a Kamaka super concert for his reentrant strummer. He loved its but found it lacking in the volume, projection and resonant department compared to any of his reentrant tenors. As he said "you can't fight physics".

I think thie Tiny Tenor would come very close to what you want. I am a tenor guy but a friend had a Tiny Tenor which I played and I was impressed. A Koaloha super concert might do it as well but they are around $1000.00 or higher. They are great instruments, loud, full and resonant.

Last edited:
Very few if any mid priced concerts will have a tenor sound. You might get close with a custom builder but that is expensive.

As you said you are fighting physics and physics always wins. The Tiny Tenor is brilliantly designed because the body shape has more volume then a figure 8 shaped concert. The scale length is a tenor length of 17" and that DOES make a difference in sound. The longer strings oscillate more adding to a fuller more resonant sound. A very good friend has a Kamaka super concert for his reentrant strummer. He loved its but found it lacking in the volume, projection and resonant department compared to any of his reentrant tenors. As he said "you can't fight physics".

I think thie Tiny Tenor would come very close to what you want. I am a tenor guy but a friend had a Tiny Tenor which I played and I was impressed. A Koaloha super concert might do it as well but they are around $1000.00 or higher. They are great instruments, loud, full and resonant.

Thanks for the explanation about the tenor length, I didn't understand that.

So you're saying even a midrange pineapple won't do the trick? I'm actually happy to have a bunch of possibilities eliminated, but OTOH I can get a midrange pineapple for about $150 less than a Tiny Tenor. How about a concert pineapple with a long neck, if there is such a thing? And you're also saying that the long neck Ohana wouldn't do it?

Based on the Famous/Kiwaya FS-5, I suspect that the concert model (FC-5) will be quite the sound monster for its size.

Based on the Famous/Kiwaya FS-5, I suspect that the concert model (FC-5) will be quite the sound monster for its size.

I was wondering about that. A friend has a Kiwaya concert (not sure which model) and it is fabulous.

I have a Kanile'a long neck (super) concert. Every time I pick it up I am surprised how full and loud it is, and it is very comfortable to play. You may consider buying second hand, it may require more patience to find what your looking for, but you'll most likely get more ukulele per dollar spent.

Here is a link to give you an idea of what they sound like:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kanile-a-super-concert-k-1-sc-15532.html

In attached photo, mine is on far left, next to a Mya Moe. The body is smaller than the Mya Moe and also not as deep, but as you can see, the neck is about the same, which to me, makes it easier to play.

IMG_5188.jpg

Last edited:

Mine is still new, but starting to settle in/open up, & I think is an equal to my laminate Kala tenor, having the longer neck gives it more sustain, & being solid wood seems to give it a better tone.

Possibly a pineapple solid mahogany concert would also get close.

My Kelii has a bigger, tenor sound. It has a slightly longer scale than a regular concert (15.5 inches), and I have it strung low G.

Ana'Ole Ukes have a bigger bottom which leads to a more voluminous sound

I have a Kanile'a long neck (super) concert. Every time I pick it up I am surprised how full and loud it is, and it is very comfortable to play. You may consider buying second hand, it may require more patience to find what your looking for, but you'll most likely get more ukulele per dollar spent.

Here is a link to give you an idea of what they sound like:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kanile-a-super-concert-k-1-sc-15532.html

In attached photo, mine is on far left, next to a Mya Moe. The body is smaller than the Mya Moe and also not as deep, but as you can see, the neck is about the same, which to me, makes it easier to play.

View attachment 95540

That sounds great, especially picked. I am trying to find something used. I hope I have enough patience to wait!

Ana'Ole Ukes have a bigger bottom which leads to a more voluminous sound

Thank you! I didn't know anything about them till just now. But I think even used they are out of reach for me.

Top Bottom