advice on a small tenor or big-sounding concert

My Kelii has a bigger, tenor sound. It has a slightly longer scale than a regular concert (15.5 inches), and I have it strung low G.

I will check them, thank you.

Mine is still new, but starting to settle in/open up, & I think is an equal to my laminate Kala tenor, having the longer neck gives it more sustain, & being solid wood seems to give it a better tone.

Possibly a pineapple solid mahogany concert would also get close.

That's really good to know. Thank you.

That's a beautiful instrument, but well out of my price range.

If you can stand it, keep saving, the Clara is totally worth it - the sound is gorgeous and enormous. Also, I'd keep your eye open for used - that is how I was able to afford mine. Plus, the way a Clara is built, you can expect they sound pretty similar (no chance of picking up a bad one) and the durability means that anything used should be in good shape.

My son plays a fluke - I like it for the durability and the setup can't be beat (at least on the plastic fingerboard). Sound output is pretty good as well... Not as loud as my Clara, but a nice full sound neverthless. A couple of things to think on - the shape is a little different, the back a little slick (or at least rounded) and the top edge can be sharp. It doesn't do straps very easy and the neck profile is... different. Not bad, just that it looks like square board with two corners rounded off. That said - the neck profile is easy to play and reasonably comfortable.

If you're looking to save money, call magic fluke and see if they have any seconds - I've bought a couple of ukes this way and it worked out great.

I have two Ohana tenors and their bodies are much smaller and narrower than my Kala tenor. My Ohana TK35CG with a cutaway is even smaller than my Ohana TK42.

My Kala ASOV-T is a really great instrument with great projection from its big wide body, but my Ohanas are so comfortable to play and have a more subtle tone that I sort of like them a bit more.

Where Ohana does slightly let itself down is the variability of the quality control between instruments. My TK35CG sounds great but looks a total mess inside whereas my TK42 is perfect. I have never seen a badly put-together Kala.

Last edited:
If you can stand it, keep saving, the Clara is totally worth it - the sound is gorgeous and enormous. Also, I'd keep your eye open for used - that is how I was able to afford mine. Plus, the way a Clara is built, you can expect they sound pretty similar (no chance of picking up a bad one) and the durability means that anything used should be in good shape.

I wish I could play one. I will think about waiting another year, but I doubt I'll be able to!

I have two Ohana tenors and their bodies are much smaller and narrower than my Kala tenor. My Ohana TK35CG with a cutaway is even smaller than my Ohana TK42.

My Kala ASOV-T is a really great instrument with great projection from its big wide body, but my Ohanas are so comfortable to play and have a more subtle tone that I sort of like them a bit more.

Where Ohana does slightly let itself down is the variability of the quality control between instruments. My TK35CG sounds great but looks a total mess inside whereas my TK42 is perfect. I have never seen a badly put-together Kala.

I like Ohanas very much. I think their laminate soprano is a far better entry level uke than a Makala Shark. Easier to play. I like Kala, too, but oddly enough, received one where the bracing was broken, so they fall down once in awhile too.

I am a little surprised that KoAloha hasn't been mentioned yet. My concert is very full and loud! Louder than most Tenors I have played. The unique bracing System they use gives them a lot of punch!

Top Bottom