Koa Fluke or Tiny Tenor

What a blast from the past! I did end up with a TT spruce/mahogany and I would be happy to own one again, because I love the neck and the size and the sound. I wasn’t crazy about the tenor scale at the time. I think I’d be OK with it now, but I’m not certain.

A few months ago I got a koa tenor MF with Gotoh Stealth tuners and a pickup to scratch that Fluke itch. I dislike the neck but I’ve grown accustomed to it. It doesn’t sound anything like a TT, particularly not spruce top one, but it sounds very good.

My personal preference is for the TT but there are many factors involved. They’re both very nice instruments.

Ziret, after all these years, can you let us know what your decision was and how you feel about it now? As you were in 2016, I am also comparing a Koa Tenor Fluke and a Tiny Tenor. I want that gorgeous, resonating sound that you get with the Tiny Tenor; I've tried them at my local music store and they are fantastic. But I'm a sucker for the unique look and durability of the Fluke. The problem is, there are none locally so I have not been able to test a Fluke personally. I have a Flea (not hardwood) and I do like it. Does the Fluke produce a sound comparable with the TT?
Lilliput, if you love the tone of the Tiny Tenor, then get it. The Fluke will not be the same. I have a Tiny Tenor and I love it. The Romeros have been going up in price (as have many other ukes), and I would get one sooner rather than later if it's a uke you want.

I got a Fluke Koa Tenor a few years back and sold all my other ukes bar one cheapo soprano. It's horses for courses - if you can't try in person I'd order both with the intention of returning the one you don't like as much, best way to find out.

Top Bottom