Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uke group bass players roll call

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    For my bass ukes with piezo under saddle pickups I prefer Road Toad Pahoehoe even though they take a long time to stretch]
    take along time is an understatement, mine have been on for a couple months and still stretchy, I have to crank and crank to tune every week!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    take along time is an understatement, mine have been on for a couple months and still stretchy, I have to crank and crank to tune every week!
    Yep, that's the reality, then at a certain point you have to lop off a hunk to avoid winding around the post too much, but I still much prefer them to the sticky Aquila Thundergut and Thunder Reds (which do improve with a coat of powder for an extended time, not the whites).

Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

Benjolelle, finally someone else who has a mid-80's Peavey Dyna Bass!

Kohanmike, you have an amazing collection of basses! The only things missing would be a Vox Phantom, Ampeg bass (the weird one with f-holes that go all the way through the body), and maybe an Eko?

Quote Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
    Kohanmike, you have an amazing collection of basses! The only things missing would be a Vox Phantom, Ampeg bass (the weird one with f-holes that go all the way through the body), and maybe an Eko?
    Thanks Ampeep. I try to choose ones that are different from one another, the Vox seems to be similar to my gold AudioVox Serenader tribute. The Ampeg is very unique, not for me, but I would like to do a mini hollow body with f holes. I already have a violin/Hofner style, the fourth one from the right.

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, provide ukuleles to kids in hospital music therapy programs.
    Patronize Bruce Wei Arts eBay store/custom shop in Vietnam http://stores.ebay.com/Bruceweiart-M...nstrument-Shop, good products, reasonable price. (Don't heed old reviews, he makes good stuff.)

kohanmike, agree w/ you, the Ampeg is just too weird! Is your Hofner style a hollow body? In high school my friend had a Hofner; was amazed at how light it was. Also had a very trebly sound w/ almost no low end which may have influenced Paul's bass lines.

How do you decide which bass to play? I don't have that problem cuz I have a bass & a classical guitar. Only other decision I have is whether to use my Blackstar Fly3 Bass or my 80's era Roland Super Cube Bass amp. Have thought about replacing it, but I've had zero problems with it in 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Thanks Ampeep. I try to choose ones that are different from one another, the Vox seems to be similar to my gold AudioVox Serenader tribute. The Ampeg is very unique, not for me, but I would like to do a mini hollow body with f holes. I already have a violin/Hofner style, the fourth one from the right.
    I would love to have a good Hofner style UBass! Paul McCartney got me interested in the bass, I used to have a model of him and his bass!
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
    Is your Hofner style a hollow body?

How do you decide which bass to play? Only other decision I have is whether to use my Blackstar Fly3 Bass or my 80's era Roland Super Cube Bass amp.
    No, it's a solid body because it was based on a Rondo Hadean solid body.

My uke group meets twice a week so I just rotate through my collection regularly. When we have a gig coming up I pick one and practice with that until the gig is over.

I don't play in a uku group (but I'd like to) but I do use my GT fretless in the band I play in. It works really well in an acoustic rock band.

13495522_1229281793769071_1042755096447635273_o.jpg
    Last edited by banditcosmo; 06-19-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Thread Information