Ukulele Strap Buttons??

BlueCanoe

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a ukulele strap for my instrument and wondered... do the smaller straps use a smaller strap button or a regular guitar strap button. Is there anything I should consider before installing the buttons?

I use smaller straps on my ukes and use standard size buttons. I've installed buttons on many of my ukes and bass ukes. Just be sure there's a block inside the tail that will support the button. Ukes with a seam along the tail end will, ukes that are solid all the way around the tail might not.

All the buttons are pretty much the same size, depending on how you want to attach your strap, one on the base & tie to the headstock, one on the base & one on the heel, or just the one on the heel using a lanyard type of strap. To fit a button, I use a pin vise. :)

I like the Iluak. I have put them on several of my ukes.
I am very happy with their product for the price but they are pricey.

Same size. I've used the Fender silver ones from Guitar Center. The iluak ones are a little pricey but add a touch of class :)
http://iluak.com/index.php?route=common/home

Those Iluaks are nice strap buttons!

I have found a large variety at stewmac.com. These ones in particular are a little smaller than the classic metal straps you find on electric guitars. And at $2.75 a pair, you can't beat them. They have them in gold and black.

http://www.stewmac.com/Closeouts/Mighty_Mite_Gold_Strap_Buttons.html

I use 2" Franklin brand cotton guitar straps with leather ends on my ukuleles. They fit the standard buttons just fine.

Last edited:
This guy does some classic looking buttons in both bone and fossilized mammoth ivory. He also offers bridge pins (Kanile'a BTW, are size 2C), saddles and nuts.

http://guitarpartsandmore.com/

thanks for mentioning the Kanile'a bridge pin size. A few days ago one of mine came flying out like a rocket as C string was at full tension. I still have not found it :) I am using a guitar bridge pin as a short term fix, but it obviously is a bigger size as it only goes about 3/4 ways in.

They look great Kypfer. Are they made of metal?

Hadn't even thought about it ... just tested one ... yes, they're metal, also available in chrome, "gold" and nickel finish (on the drop-down choice).

For whatever reason I prefer this "mushroom" shape to the more readily available "conical" ones used on many electric guitars ... just a personal thing, I don't think there's any functional difference.

thanks for mentioning the Kanile'a bridge pin size. A few days ago one of mine came flying out like a rocket as C string was at full tension. I still have not found it :) I am using a guitar bridge pin as a short term fix, but it obviously is a bigger size as it only goes about 3/4 ways in.

The 2Cs are a little larger than the pins Kanile'a sends with their instruments. A 5 degree reamer will be necessary for that perfect fit. Go very slow and tests offen, it is easy to go to far. Then you will need a larger diameter pin, like I did with my 2016 Platinum model. I've replaced them on my three Kanile'as, the FMI looks so much better than the plastic and it also matches my strap buttons.

Top Bottom