Mahogany tenor

Yankulele

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving. Waiting for the grill to come to temp, so I thought I'd post.

Mahogany (cuban/honduran? boards were in the barn for 60 plus years) body.
Spanish cedar neck.
Pau rosa fingerboard, bridge, heel.
Mahogany and ebony head veneer.
Curly maple binding.
Mother of pearl rosette, fret markers, and inlay.
Worth browns.

Comments, observations, criticisms are welcome.

I like the sound quite a lot.

Nelson

Attachments

• Ukulele 13.jpg
    Ukulele 13.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Ukulele 14.jpg
    Ukulele 14.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Ukulele 12.jpg
    Ukulele 12.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 174
  • Ukulele 11.jpg
    Ukulele 11.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Ukulele 10.jpg
    Ukulele 10.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 185
Thank you. I had the piece of cedar left over, and didn't have any mahogany pieces large enough for the neck.

Nelson

Nelson, that is a really nice looking ukulele. Wouldn't have known the neck was not matching; looks fine and coordinated to me.

Certainly no criticism from me. Observation: I like the idea of using perfling between the binding and the fretboard.
Me too. The tasteful and added labor intensive use of purfling throughout the instrument both under and beside the bindings, top and bottom of the body, gives off a nice touch. Glad you did it; its sweet! Oh, and I love an all mahogany ukulele too.

Another fine looking uke from you: as others have said, there's some nice use of purfling. Glad you are happy with the sound: I often fit Worth brown strings too.

Happy Thanksgiving. Waiting for the grill to come to temp, so I thought I'd post.

Mahogany (cuban/honduran? boards were in the barn for 60 plus years) body.
Spanish cedar neck.
Pau rosa fingerboard, bridge, heel.
Mahogany and ebony head veneer.
Curly maple binding.
Mother of pearl rosette, fret markers, and inlay.
Worth browns.

Comments, observations, criticisms are welcome.

I like the sound quite a lot.

Nelson

Beautiful! Nice work mitering the purfling on the tail graft and the binding.
Re: the headstock-did you use a router to chamfer the edge? or was it all hand-work?

Thank you all for the kind words.
The purfling adds work, but I agree it looks nice. I still need help with the miters and the heel graft. I don't think I have my work steps in the right order for that process.
Pahu, I made a template out of thin mdf for my headstock shape. I rough saw the shape on the bandsaw, then template rout. I think that's you mean about the chamfered edge?

Nelson

Beautiful Build! Mahogany is my favorite wood for beauty and sound. As a new builder I have only used Brazilian Mahogany for the three builds so far and have recently taken delivery
of a new figured mahogany Mya-Moe tenor. Most of my guitars are Mahogany Taylor's. Mahogany is a great wood to work with and combined with beauty and sound it's hard to built. I've built furniture, both indoor and outdoor with it. Some outdoor chairs that I built twenty five years ago are still in use.

Again, great job and attention to details...I'm sure it sounds wonderful.

Very pretty mahogany on the top. Its hard to beat the combo of mahogany and flamed maple bindings

Top Bottom