Offensive comment by a respected vendor? Or am I being too sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, this is so much fun. Every year they have the China Baby reunion in Minneapolis for kids adopted from China. We have a China Baby in our family. A seventeen year old China Baby now. I tried to discuss this thread with her yesterday. I said, "how do you feel if I call you a China Baby?" She responded, "leave me alone, you're weird."

But it's a beautiful thing that a forum like this exists and that we were all able to voice our opinions freely and respectfully. I'm not sure this would have gone as well in other countries!

In other countries? UU is an international forum with members from all over the world and from all walks of life.

I'm still not sure whether or not this whole thread isn't an attempt to troll.

now that Andrew has been named here...I know he is not a racist or even close to it...I am Asian and so are many of his employees and friends/family ...I believe the OP has been away from Hawaii too long....I lived in the Bay Area for over 35 years and do not understand this thread at all....

if he had a problem with the statement he should of contacted Andrew by email or phone makes no sense to post it on the UU...the OP's Aloha must of been left in Hawaii....

my 2 cents

I second that! In the short time I have had dealing with Andrew, I have nothing but good things to say about him.

now that Andrew has been named here...I know he is not a racist or even close to it...I am Asian and so are many of his employees and friends/family ...I believe the OP has been away from Hawaii too long....I lived in the Bay Area for over 35 years and do not understand this thread at all....

if he had a problem with the statement he should of contacted Andrew by email or phone makes no sense to post it on the UU...the OP's Aloha must of been left in Hawaii....

my 2 cents

I agree with this ^. One who publicly airs grievances about another person, without FIRST speaking directly to the person that offended them, TO ME, either seems vindictive and motivated by malice, or is just plain ignorant of kindness and compassion to other folks, and in THE USA, there is this thing about being innocent until proven guilty. Seems like the OP had preconceived notions about the intent of the words he had trouble with, even before coming to UU to shake out the dirty laundry in public.

Why not give the benefit of the doubt, and seek clarification from the author of those words, BEFORE speaking circuitously and in an obfuscated manner, yet such that those in the know will easily figure out the source?

In other countries? UU is an international forum with members from all over the world and from all walks of life.

I'm still not sure whether or not this whole thread isn't an attempt to troll.

Seems the OP is unaware of the global membership of this forum.

Troll? Maybe.

I am quite disappointed that this thread exists in the first place.

I had tried to stay out of it until now, but to assign malice as an intent for simple words, that the semantics of which are not clarified, seems like a recipe for misery.

Maybe its time for some of us to meditate on the meaning of Aloha?

the derogatory term was not as an adjective and a noun, it was all one word. I see nothing offensive in being called an American man by anyone from anywhere in the world. Yes, Chinese would have been more appropriate to one who understands grammatical rules of the English language. It certainly has stimulated conversation.

I know Andrew very well and he is a good friend, I do not believe for one instance he would say such a thing even
When pushed to the limits. He is the kindest and one of the nicest people I know.
You must have gotten this way wrong that this came from the ukulele site, I really don't think so nor I know
ANDREW would never in a million years say that.

How many of the commenters here did a search for the phrase to find where it appeared? It's from Ukulele Review (which is part of The Ukulele Site). Who thinks that they (which I assume means Andrew K.) had any negative, racist, etc. intent? And look around the TUS site -- there are some spelling and occasionally informational errors, which I say in their defense, not as a criticism. Most sites have such errors. And look at the OP's first post, at the bottom: "Last edited by Sig808; Yesterday at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling". People make mistakes. And the OP to this point has disappeared, while all this discussion goes on. If someone is offended, then don't buy from them. It would be that person's loss, in my opinion.

I wouldn't assume it was Andrew at all, I know him very well and I know he would never have said that.
Assumptions are not facts, you should not say things you don't know and start people believing it.
Please retract your comment or edit your post.

I also can't believe that Andrew would say anything of the sort............it's just not like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom