NUD Martin OXK

Kiwaya make a concert version of the FS-5: the Famous FC-5. I haven't played one, and it's a bit more expensive than the soprano version, but it's most likely just as awesome.

Interesting - although I haven't seen one of those available in the US...

Interesting - although I haven't seen one of those available in the US...

I imported the FS-5G from Japan. igorthebarbarian mentioned in a PM that he knows of an American shop owner living in Japan whose store sells the FC-5 for about $500 shipped. That's about what I paid for the FS-5G (after VAT), so it sounds like a good price to me. Igor might have details.

Back to the OXK - it has the most playing time in my little collection as it is my main winter ukulele. I can play it when huddled over a space heater in my drafty/cold/dry house and it doesn't faze it a bit.

It is one of the least marked up of my ukes, too. Only has some usage marks on the Morado fretboard, which is fine, but the body is just like when I took it out of the box back in 2014.

the non-marking HPL (like a formica countertop) was one of the primary reasons that I
decided to buy an OX-K.

I would have liked a prettier Koa-grain picture, but what they used works in an understated
way. I guess I wanted it to be a bit more showy :)

I'm planning on playing it throughout the Season, and will be taking it with me, DV, to Portland
when I lead a kanikapila in Wilsonville, OR (south of Portland) this Sunday the 4th, either before
or after Kimo Hussey's Christmas Concert :)

Been enjoying it and looking forward to enjoying it more and more :)

keep uke'in',

It's one I'm not going to sell. I look forward to coming off nightshift and playing (quietly) before the family wakes up. :)

Martin seems to be reshuffling the stock. The style 2 and 2k sopranos are off the website. Just the OXK, S1 and 5k are there now.

Edit; upon looking again it's just the bamboo OXK available. That may generate interest in the Koa coated models used.

Last edited:
Congrats! 1st time I new that Martin builds a laminate?

Congrats! 1st time I new that Martin builds a laminate?

I think the HPL started with the guitars then applied to ukulele. Ed Sheeran's little martin is HPL. Although he has standard models and above at home.

As posted earlier in the thread i have a S1 on it's way to me. Bit of a shipping issue as the first went AWOL. I have a second arriving next week along with an apology. I'll guess black Friday and cyber Monday UK put a huge strain on the postal service.

But upon waiting i ordered a Martin C1K which i have acclimatizing at home. It arrived today but shopping out the way first. Really got a bad case of Martin UAS. That'll be that for now with the trio.

Happy NUD part 2 and part 3 next week. :)

It's one I'm not going to sell. I look forward to coming off nightshift and playing (quietly) before the family wakes up. :)

Martin seems to be reshuffling the stock. The style 2 and 2k sopranos are off the website. Just the OXK, S1 and 5k are there now.

I have had all of these except for the 5K. The OXK and S1 are great ukes. They just sound great. Glad to hear about your C1K. I have a 2K concert Martin uke and it's fantastic. Someone with a C1K came up to me at a local jam and he wanted to try the 2K concert. He concluded they sounded the same. He went away very happy.

Petey

I have had all of these except for the 5K. The OXK and S1 are great ukes. They just sound great. Glad to hear about your C1K. I have a 2K concert Martin uke and it's fantastic. Someone with a C1K came up to me at a local jam and he wanted to try the 2K concert. He concluded they sounded the same. He went away very happy.

Petey

That's really good to hear. I watched your soprano comparison so many times. I tried to click back and forth between the S1 and the style 2 but it's difficult because in person there is more to them. What do you think?

That's really good to hear. I watched your soprano comparison so many times. I tried to click back and forth between the S1 and the style 2 but it's difficult because in person there is more to them. What do you think?

The S1 on its own is a great uke. Indeed, it is very difficult to tell the sound difference in that "Brady Bunch" 5 Martin uke review that I did. That's so long ago I feel like that is a different person than myself today. lol I can tell you that I gave my S1 away to a friend in Berlin because I wasn't using it at all since I got the style 2. The style 2 was a major step up. I still love it as much as my fav. soprano 3 cherry uke. I especially keep it at my friend's house when I spend weekends with her so it's safe and sound. I don't like having all my best ukes in the same place in case of a fire or theft. Not paranoid, but that style 2 is fantastic. The sound is more nicer and more smooth than the S1. I haven't used it in a video in a while since it's always at her house. I think maybe I should bring it back for a bit and use it in a new video so people can hear the sound of the style 2.

Petey

Last edited:
Well done, laddie!

Funny, not many people seem to like the colours of the bamboo OX. I like them. I'd buy one in a second if Martin made a tenor for all the reasons you guys like the soprano - durability. Leave it out and play in anywhere. Very consistent sound. By the way Martin has responded back to me saying No Plans for tenor HPL in the future at this time.

Funny, not many people seem to like the colours of the bamboo OX. I like them. I'd buy one in a second if Martin made a tenor for all the reasons you guys like the soprano - durability. Leave it out and play in anywhere. Very consistent sound. By the way Martin has responded back to me saying No Plans for tenor HPL in the future at this time.

Guessing no concert either? I confess if i had to consolidate to one it would be the (edited) S1.

After a day with the C1K just a couple of thoughts. My current comparison is to my Koaloha which may be unfair but here we go. :)

The Koaloha is like having a good Hi-Fi with all the fancy settings on, perfect for solo play but could be a show stealer if your a singer. Thankfully i'm not. The Martin sounds like the EQ has been set to flat or the 'what everyone thinks a ukulele sounds like' setting. Perfect for a singer but also perfect for someone who wants to hear all the strings clear and equal. Maybe with added A string jangle. Much like a Martin D28 of ukuleles. Very recordable. It may sound like i dislike it, i don't its different enough from the Hawaii 'K' sound if that's a thing but less character than the OXK. The Koaloha can be so warm sounding it loses the G and A string's if you don't know how to control it, not so with the Martin. A worthy addition and in need of 'playing in' IMO. Which i will do. :)

Last edited:
Ok. I've hogged the limelight for long enough but! The final piece arrived today. The S1. Pics?

IMG_20161205_174019.jpg
IMG_20161205_174114.jpg

This is the favourite. Nice popping Martin sound. I have tried the Martin alikes and sold them. Really like this, nice dark wood grain and the intonation is spot on as checked before I played. Very nice build... and the Martin smell. Very happy.

That will be me done for the time being. ☺️

Thanks for you patience in reading.

Last edited:
Those look sick

The Martin sounds like the EQ has been set to flat or the 'what everyone thinks a ukulele sounds like' setting. Perfect for a singer but also perfect for someone who wants to hear all the strings clear and equal. Maybe with added A string jangle. Much like a Martin D28 of ukuleles. Very recordable.

Nice observations! You seem really happy with your choices. I actually like my Martins because I *am* a singer (not half bad IMHO) and they don't interfere with my voice at all. I've found they are the best uke for my vocal timbre with that flat EQ, but with great intonation so I can play and explore up the fretboard in my arrangements. When I want to bring out a string or note more on a Martin concert or soprano, I up-pluck with my index or second finger.

Nice to think of you madly doodling away on your Martins far up in Scotland!

Petey

Top Bottom