Gadd11 - any ideas?

jollyboy

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have any ideas about what a Gadd11 might look like on a regular GCEA tuned uke?

5232 :) ... a "regular" G chord but with an extra C. A bit of a stretch on a tenor but do-able on anything smaller (with my hands).

Depending on the context within the music you might get away with 0032 or 0233 - not "complete" chords but you get the extra C note which may well be what you're looking for (even if you don't recognise the fact at the moment ;)

Good luck !

Thanks guys.

I'm scratching my head a bit over this one. The song actually sounds better if I don't make any chord change at all where the Gadd11 is marked. It's an online chord sheet from a guitar site - I think I'm going to assume a bit of over-enthusiasm on the part of whoever submitted it. And I'm going to stick with the KISS philosophy and just play through.

Handy for future reference though :)

Yeah, if it sounds goods, it's good. 11 is the same as 4, so you could try just Gsus4 as well (kyfers's 0233 suggestion)

Yeah, if it sounds goods, it's good. 11 is the same as 4, so you could try just Gsus4 as well (kyfers's 0233 suggestion)

Definitely agree with using your ears. Especially with guitar sheets you kind of have to.

I'll throw 4233 in the hat as another idea. But it's most likely a voicing that started on guitar and translates poorly to the uke. Context would help if you want some more relevant suggestions.

To clarify: sus4 moves the 3rd tone, add11 leaves it alone and puts another tone on top. Similar, but one would be three notes: 1 4 5, one would be four notes: 1 3 5 11(4).

The song actually sounds better if I don't make any chord change at all where the Gadd11 is marked

In my experience these (accessory?) chords are often included in guitar arrangements where they form part of a bass run or melody riff and only work well when played in one particular key or set of chord shapes. Transferring the chord sequence to another instrument, where the voicing of the chords in the same key is different, just doesn't work and a more basic selection of chords becomes desirable.

Similar circumstances can apply when using a guitar chord sequence on a mandolin (or ukulele tuned in 5th's) ... just not enough strings to go around ;)

YMMV :music:

0273 is impossible. Hence I take kyfer's 0233.

If it were 7th chord, 11th means 4th. But it is add11 to triad (G), we need to add real 11th.

Hi,

Thanks everyone. To add some context the song is Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Sandy Denny. Here is the relevant section:

song1.png

I have transcribed the song into the key of C, so maybe that is indeed the issue. Anyway, it seems to work better if I just ignore the Gadd11.

If you don't know the song.

Last edited:
On my book, Dadd9 is 2200. That means add 2nd instead of 9th.
In general, we need to add real 9th, unless 7th chords (eg. G7). But I think we can not add real 9th or 11th on uke. Now I think Jim is right. :)

And my answer is 0075

Last edited:
Sorry Jollyboy. This time I have a bit of confidence.

There is no root on the board on D cord. There is 8th on the 2nd fret of the 3rd string. This diagram is seen on my book. Hence Dadd9 is shown below. There is real 9th on the 2nd string. This diagram is seen on a book as 2200.

screen shot pc

In this manner, Gadd11 may be kyfer's 0233.

We need to take real 11th on the board in this manner instead of 4th.

Hi,

Thanks everyone. To add some context the song is Who Knows Where The Time Goes by Sandy Denny. Here is the relevant section:

song1.png

I have transcribed the song into the key of C, so maybe that is indeed the issue. Anyway, it seems to work better if I just ignore the Gadd11.

A song well worth spending the time to get it right!!

What we appear to have going here is "a bit of a drone thing" (for want of a better term) where, from the "C C4 C" sequence we retain the C note in the Gadd11 then keep the C and the G going in the Fadd9 ... as I suspected, if you wanted to replicate this on the ukulele you'd possibly need to play it using the same shapes as might be used on a guitar, which would give you a totally different key (obviously) unless you used a baritone (same as the top four strings on a guitar).

afterthought:
The above all assumes the guitar is being played at or around the first position ... if they're using "fancy" shapes halfway up the neck on an unconventionally tuned guitar, all bets are off!!
You've also got to remember that the extract you're working from may actually be an edited version of a full piece of sheet music, where the "technical" chord names are included even though the guitar may actually only play one or two notes of that chord at that point. I'm inclined to agree with the other posters ... if it sounds right, it probably is right, it's not as if you're trying to emulate Sandy !!

That link you provided for the recording sounds like a guitar in DADGAD or some similar "open" tuning, so the transcribed music may not be easily playable on a conventionally tuned instrument anyway !! Having said that, Richard Thompson seems to do a pretty good job on what appears to be a conventionally tuned instrument here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvbZGjasPw ... you might be able to pick up (pun intended) some clues from his playing ;)

Good luck :music:

Last edited:
@kypfer

Thanks for all the thoughts :)

Yeah, the whole song seems to have "a bit of a drone thing" going on - i.e. switching back and forth between similar sounding chords that share a common note. I'm gonna go with the general consensus and play what sounds right to me. Where the sheet shows C-C4-C-Gadd11-Fadd9 I'm going with the simpler (and more drone-y) C-Fadd9-C-Fadd9.

Sandy's guitar tuning - possibly open D? I believe she was an open tuning fan.

The RT clip is cool. According to this blogger, he does use a non-standard tuning.

If anyone is interested this is my revised version:

song2.png

Most importantly this sounds both good and a close approximation to the original song, to my ear.

Maybe the 0075 0058 part goes well to punctuate the lyric?

I couldn't make it fit in any way that sounded okay to me. I like the simpler progression - the changes are uniformly spaced apart and there is a repeated emphasis on the "the" of "where the time goes".

How far did you get

Hi Jollyboy
I wonder how far you got with this beautiful song .... I cant seem to find a version I like anywhere

Any chance you'd be prepared to share the work you've done?

Bob
Hi,

song1.png

Top Bottom