CITES Update

:Somebody give me some good news....

Maybe it's not true? I don't know, I doubt NAMM would publish something like this if they weren't sure, and the CITES listing is kind of vague. The Appendices currently say "Valid from 21 November 2016". It seems to me like that must mean this is the updated list:

https://cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php

I don't see anything mentioned in the article on this list. The Dalbergia looks to be unchanged.

So it seems like either they're going to change it again in only just a couple of months (something never done before) or my guess is that they backed off, and the final version doesn't have those new restrictions NAMM might have thought they were adding (for the time being).

Last edited:
What, if anything, does this mean for domestic sale of instruments made with CITES I, II or III species for which we don't have documentation?

I think it refers to crossing borders. When I buy timber from a supplier I can purchase the documentation so that it can cross international borders. Being in the UK I am OK as far as the EU is concerned, no documentation required (for now!).
Then again there's very little rosewood or exotics that I use. It would barely affect me, there are just too many great local/domestic woods that can be used to make musical instruments that I don't understand the obsession with rosewoods.

It seems to be in flux. There used to be guidance documents on the USFW web site but they've been taken down.

Well, it is supposed to be created for the protection of the species listed, so it's good news for them...

Well that’s good that there are regulations. But some of the laws are ridiculous. Like you could use the ivory key of a 200 year old piano for your nut and saddle and have your ukulele legally seized, indefinitely! They wouldn’t even let you take off the nut and saddle and keep the instrument!

Look, some of the laws do make perfect sense and do go to better our world, but when you legally purchase wood, abalone etc.. and build an instrument out of it, it would be nice to know it can’t be legally confiscated by some over zealous USFWS official that might not even be right with what he suspects the materials to be, and it can be taken, forever. And let’s be real here. Over 30 million acres of forest are cut down every year and 3/4 of that is for cattle ranching. A lot of “environmentalists” get real quiet when it comes to the real elephant in the room. They like the taste of it in their mouth too much. So making it really hard to ship or travel finished musical instruments doesn’t impress my good will for the ‘Aina. It’s a can’t see the forest for the trees sort of situation IMO.

I've just looked at the list and cannot even find 25 listed rosewoods let alone 250! Am I looking in the wrong place?

It is apparently all species of rosewood except Brazilian, which has been protected under stricter rules for many years. They are not banning trade, just requiring a permit to export or import. Probably to prove the provenance of the wood. Whether you will receive a permit is another matter. You can still travel with your instrument, see the link to fish and wildlife webpage in the namm link. There is an exception: "b) Non-commercial exports of a maximum total weight of 10kg per shipment." I suggest you claim it before you leave or you may not get it back in country and may have a problem at your destination.

Well that’s good that there are regulations. But some of the laws are ridiculous.

Like CA, NJ and NY banning trade in fossilized mammoth ivory? Apparently they feel these animals that went extinct 10,000 years ago will be hunted into extinction. Elephant ivory can readily be discerned from Mammoth ivory, so it isn't because you cannot tell what species the ivory is sourced. Mammoth provides income for Siberian residents who mine it and material for those who like ivory but want to save the elephants. But I go off topic.

https://www.fws.gov/lab/ivory_natural.php

As I read it its is not all species of rosewood otherwise they would all be listed which they are not. Or if they are, I cannot find them. Plz provide the link...

Thanks - yes it is broad and Beau I cannot find listed Dalbergia Latifolia which lets Indian rosewood off the hook. Glad I use mgurure or leadwood which won't go on the list as it is so obscure! Also if you use santos rosewood that won't be on the list as it is not a Dalbergia.

Link to webinar registration - NEW Rules for Protected Species and Musical Instruments - Wednesday, December 7 at 12:00 noon Eastern

We’ve been shipping ukes internationally 5 days a week for many years and never ever had one taken for it’s species. Knock on some Brazilian. Partly because we work at getting the paperwork right when needed etc, partly luck I suppose, but it does seem like the a$$hat position might be opening up for noble FWS officials in many countries. I won’t scream bloody murder till I see a knife, but this is like one of those letters with the words cut out of a magazine. Not good. Very not good. We gotta look out for each other here.

Perhaps Indian rosewood isn't listed because it's already heavily controlled by the Indian government and has been for a very long time. I seem to think that no raw lumber is allowed out of the country, just milled timber or rather timber that has been processed.

Top Bottom