CITES Update

What a great post! I'm hunkered down here in the cold with a dripping cold (sneeze, sneeze) and a workshop that is freezing cold and feeling a bit discouraged. I'm working on some beautiful but knarly looking burl wood that just wants a fight (come on uke boy, try and bend this!...) and decided maybe this is not the best time to make ukuleles. Everything is going to be fine. It will all work out in the end. Mahalo nui loa and aloha from the frozen mainland.

Thanks for your thoughts, Andrew. I think you're right: everything will work out, it will just take more effort to get all the paperwork done (essentially proving that the woods which are used come from a legal source). If it takes a little longer to get an instrument, this won't be an issue for most customers. But I would hate to see an instrument travelling around the world only to be sent back or confiscated at customs. And I'd hate to be restricted to what local stores offer only. Being able to order online from your store on the other side of the globe has opened up a whole new world for me, and I'm thankful for that.

... here’s to a forum/ community that to me seems to be about as altruistic as you practically never see. Love that about you guys!! Micro version of world peace here. I mean, there will be heated exchanges. But I see it like a family. What family doesn’t bicker from time to time. Great info and aloha is abundant and that’s what really shines through.
From all the craziness of 2016, UU stayed pretty cool. Congrats to the founders and contributors. See you in the new year… 2017…AHHHHH!!!

Excellent all around Andrew. And in the spirit of family, a special shout out to Mr. Pete Howlett.

Simply with effort we can include our friends/ supporters in other countries (like me, if you are outside the US). If you change woods, cool....

Pete et al, just thought I'd share a bit of my experience. Use it as it suits your situation.

Because we actually produced instruments in Central America we needed to get export permits to get them into the U.S. Though a permit was "supposedly" only $50 per species, if you had a few restricted species in an instrument and your shipment of say six intruments had some variation among the instruments you could easily end up with $600 or more in legitimate permit fees for your shipment. But that's only the legitimate fees. Since these permits are generally issued to folks sending out containers of timber, the "mordida" (fee paid to the official to actually get the permit) could be $1,000 more. Not too bad for a container of wood - out of reach for a half dozen Ukuleles.

We did the only thing we could do - went to species that required no permit whatsoever. No CITES, no Lacey Act (U.S. only & even more restrictive). No Mahogany, no Spanish Cedar, no Granadillo, no Cocobolo, etc., etc. These were the woods we knew.

Still we were in Central America, the true treasure trove of tropical hardwoods. So we found other species. It took time to hunt them out, try them out and find reliable sources. And then by the time we started to get going again, our builder reached an age and state of health where he couldn't continue. But in that short interval when we offered our "alternate species", we learned a bit about marketing them.

Pete, I took a look at the Korina Tenor you posted about. If you haven't sold that one then folks are really missing the boat. That wood in general is an absolutely beautiful thing to look at, your boards seem especially nice, and it even has a bit of notoriety as a tonewood. Granted, it's in Gibson (I think) solid bodies guitars, but the qualities it showed there versus Mahogany, for example, would seem to indicate fabulous potential for an Ukulele. With the unique aspect, the beauty of the wood and the tone it likely has, you should be marketing it as a "premium exotic".

And marketing is always a part of making instruments. You mentioned another wood "Mgurure". In my experience a name like that will hurt sales. People can understand that a given wood will make a good instrument and look nice, but they still want to know how to pronounce it - to tell folks what it is without hesitating on how to say it. Leadwood is a bit better - you can pronounce it, but it's not too appealing.

I'd look at something the lumber industry does all the time - a practice I used to look down on: make up your own name. One that you feel reflects the qualities of the wood, either in tone or color or both. Obviously in this new environment, something like "Tanzanian Rosewood" wouldn't be that great an idea, but as long as you include the "a.k.a."s or scientific name after whatever name you decide to use, then you aren't deceiving anyone. It's just "Pete calls it Tanzanian Blackwood". I wonder how long now before Bolivian Rosewood (not a rosewood - not threatened) starts to be called something else.

We also used to "issue a passport" with our instrument. It was a simple listing of all the species by scientific name and with a date of manufacture in case some of those woods became restricted in the future. It had no legal standing, of course, but any official seeing such a thing would be likely to give it the benefit of the doubt, and being issued by us, it put responsibility for any misstatement on us, where it should be, and not on the owner.

View attachment 96478

Finally, we would also fill out a Lacey Act declaration. It's a self-declaration with no permitting required. Just make sure the species you use aren't under any local origin restriction above and beyond the CITES listings. We didn't do the formal entry - just attached the declaration to the outside of the box in a plastic sleeve with another copy inside in case the outer copy was damaged. A customer could save that declaration and use it in the same fashion as our "passport".

Hope that helps a bit.

Happy holidays to all!

Last edited:
Great advice -I love the description "Tanzanian Blackwood'.... will seriously think of using that term or Leadwood. Korina is great - it is spectacular to look at, has huge acoustic potential and will be a great replacement for mahogany and koa until it is harvested out!

So if an individual here in the marketplace wanted to sell an instrument that has a smidgen of Rosewood say on the fretboard, or as someone else referenced, on the tuner buttons, to an international buyer in either direction across the pond or across the border would they be able to send it as a"gift?" Many people use PayPal friends and family. And aren't we all here friends and family :) wouldn't that fall under the individual ownership and not a commercial transaction? Just wondering.

I too think it's a step in the right direction but a grotesque misinterpretation that is going to wreak havoc on instrument buyers and sellers. Seems like individual shipments of one or two units ought to be allowed. Specially since the resource has already been sourced. I guess this would cut down on real alligator skin cases as well (just kidding). As if all the Plastics and toxins used to manufacture faux alligator cases is not a tremendous drain on resources. We are a consumerist society. It is shocking to hear you must cut back. But confiscating instruments from the hands of musicians is a gross abuse of power. If all the resources spent too micromanage the individual was spent on capturing the major culprits at the supply chain the problem would be solved.

Did you note the sanctions just enacted on wood from Peru? Apparently Peru is the big, bad actor when it comes to illegal logging. This is a good thing singling out one country for embargo rather than the entire world when it come to importation/exportation of valuable hardwoods. These guys gave everybody a bad name. Shame on them. Corrupt to the bone. Punish them but don't punish everybody. I'm glad they are singling them out. Now maybe we can get control of responsible harvest of timber by allowing responsible countries to export their timber that has been responsibly harvested. Article below:

"It's not one company that is doing bad business. It's everybody. Because nobody's paying attention..... What they [the Peruvian government] have been doing is increasing the penalties in laws and regulations. But if no one is being sanctioned or investigated, what is the point?"

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/peopleandpower/2015/08/peru-rotten-wood-150812105020949.html

Top Bottom