Kiwaya Strummer Series

kdmccullum

Reaction score
Has anybody had a chance to play either the KOA or Mahogany Strummer Series concert ukulele from Kiwaya?

If so, I'd love to hear your impressions.

Kurt

I bought the koa concert from elderly's in Michigan. put the aquilla red low G on it, and wow. the sound is rich (low g). plenty of volume. it comes with Worth browns,
and with Elderly's setup, my concert fluke and ck1 are fighting for time. one note: the frets are larger (not like kiwaya's top line); therefore, the action is somewhat higher
(to account for the fret height). workmanship (attention to detail) and finish are kiwaya. it's my only gloss finish uke, as I usually think matte has better resonance.
It is not a factor here...

Had to look this up. Surprisingly inexpensive for a solid koa instrument, especially from Kiwaya. What is the downside relative to their "regular" koa models?

personal preference as what you like. the top line models have a smaller fret and so the action is very low. most ukes have a more medium (relative) size(height).
the strummer has a somewhat larger fret. I like it..... the top line kiwayas, take some getting used to, as the frets are low (IMO)

I was looking at the KOA version myself along with the Martin C1k. Since you have both, how would you compare the two?

difficult to compare martin c1k to the koa kiwaya, as I have a low G on the kiwaya. with my martin, I have a pickup and use it
in church, nursing homes, schools (the traditional uke sound). but the kiwaya (low G) can be for blues. the martin action is lower and easier
(familiar). you could like both (like me) or either. sound: martin is brighter. hey, look, both ukes give you a lot of quality playing and sound.
and I feel you've got something that is better than most; and you don't worry about toting that $1000 uke around to strums, coffee houses, and in cold weather.

Thanks for the information. That helps to narrow it down a bit. My sopranos don't have quite enough volume when I lead worship for the men's Bible study I go to. Just looking for something with more sound and still portable.

Thanks for the information. That helps to narrow it down a bit. My sopranos don't have quite enough volume when I lead worship for the men's Bible study I go to. Just looking for something with more sound and still portable.

Not having "quite enough volume" is a relative term. If you live near me, I would like to hear what you think of the volume of my ukuleles. I have one that I think is loud and "barks," but, again, it's all relative. I live in the valley-half of Los Angeles.

Top Bottom