What do you actually use to record with.

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
I know we have had discussions about recording equipment, but I'm dissatisfied with my recording set up, & I think it's holding me back. :(

So, I'd just like to know what equipment you actually use to record with, I'm not wanting this to turn into another discussion, just a listing of what is being used, so that I can look them up to see if they might suit me - thanks. :cool:

A Windows laptop, with Debut Video Capture software to do the filming. I have added an external webcam (a dirt cheap Logitech one), and a decent microphone, a Samson Meteor, which plugs into the USB port on the laptop. The laptop is pretty ancient, and doesn't seem to like saving HD videos (keeps freezing & stuttering), so I have reduced the quality right down on the webcam.

Once the video has been recorded, I load it into Windows Movie Maker to trim the ends off, change it to B&W or whatever I might fancy, then re-save it ready for YouTube. And that's about it.

On the few occasions I have tried to be clever with multi-tracking, I have used a little Tascam DP-004 digital recorder, but I have never really got stuck into what that can do beyond a couple of tracks.

Last edited:
I phone, propped on a book or taped to the door with that blue masking tape...which really makes my wife laugh.

I record onto my iPhone using an Apogee MiC USB microphone.
I edit and multitrack with GarageBand and/or Adobe Audition.
I use Premiere Pro for the video.
My computer is the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. :rock:

I do everything on my iPad mini and have a Shure MV5 condenser mic that plugs right into it. Most often I just record the video and audio at the same time, but I have been experimenting with GarageBand.

I've used my iPhone 4s and my new iPhone 6sPlus using the Voice Record app, then transfer to my MacBook Pro with iTunes, then copy that track to a folder to edit with Audacity. I've also used an iRigHD plugged into the USB port of my MacBook Pro, recording with Garage Band if I need multitrack recordings. I also have an Alesis IO Dock with my old iPad 3 that has mic inputs with which I tried to use my Samsung wireless 4 mic system, but I couldn't get the MultiTrack app to recognize the mics. Have to do some more research.

Last edited:
I usually record seasons video's with just my MacBook, I have also recorded with my iPhone.
If I really feel like it I use my USB enabled Condenser Microphone, plug my uke into my Mac via an audio interface and other fancy stuff.
But most of the time I find that to much work. Especially as I think the microphones Apple puts in their product are rather good.

I mostly use a Tascam DP006 multi track recorder. Most of the time I use just one track. I use the internal microphones most of the time on my recorder. I transfer the audio to my PC for further editing. For Chariots of Fire which I just put up for Season 251, I used the larger Tascam DP008 which is an 8 track recorder and I needed 6 of the 8 tracks for it.

I record the Video separately on a Panasonic Video Recorder and combine the two in my movie editor.

My PC runs Linux so I use open source software; Audacity for audio editing and Open Shot for movie editing.

If I'm away from home I'll record direct on to my iPad. I use a movie App called Movie Pro which I was recommended and it's free. It has basic editing facilities and the results have been pretty good using it.

Last edited:
I use my GoPro camera and the GoPro movie editing software. On the rare occasions I want to do multitracking and stuff, I use a cheap knock of condenser mic that I got off eBay and Audacity.

A tiny Canon Elph camera and the ZoomBrowser software that came with it.

When I use effects, I'm running through the uke through the effects processor module of a Yamaha MOX-6 synthesizer and playing the output through a pair of M-Audio speakers that are off-camera to the right. The Canon's microphone picks up both the true uke sound and the sound coming out of the speakers.

Acer Laptop; Samson Meteor Mic; Logitech C615 Wecam and software; Windows Movie Maker; Youtube Editor, because it has better filters than Movie Maker.

I have yet to record a season. I wanted to participate in the classical season, and then got sick...and then got sick again recently. My body has trained itself to make me sick via my voice, as I continue non-stop if anything else is wrong. When I can't sing or speak, my life as a music teacher is altered and I have to slow down.

My set-up is to record on my iPad, because video is video, and then to use the Lightning to USB dongle to attach a Blue Snowball mic. The Snowball is bigger than I thought it would be...and would love to purchase the new Shure MV88.

My primary set up is thus: Condenser mic into my Yamaha mixer (CH1). Then out the headphone jack of the mixer to the line-in on my Zoom Q3HD.

Secondary (as of late) is: Vocals go into my TC Helicon Play Acoustic the out to the Yamaha mixer. Ukulele plugged directly into my Digitech Trio Plus then onto the TC Helicon. The TC Helicon has separate outputs for MIC and Ukulele which I run into separate channels of the Yamaha mixer (Ch2 and Ch3). The Trio plus has a separate output for the Drum and Bass that it produces which I send to the Yamaha mixer (CH4). Then out the headphone jack of the mixer to the line-in on my Zoom Q3HD.

I can leave both these set ups connected and choose in the moment which I need for the song I'm doing.

I phone, propped on a book or taped to the door with that blue masking tape...which really makes my wife laugh.

:)

I'm high-tech! I bought a $15 tripod for my iPhone!

:)

I'm high-tech! I bought a $15 tripod for my iPhone!

There is a new device coming out soon...the latest version of the Glif. It's a camera mount for iPhone, and just about any other phone. Previous versions (I have the first and the most recent...and placed an order for this).

https://www.studioneat.com/products/glif

This is what I have been waiting for with the iPhone since I bought the original Glif.

For my iPad, I use an AirTurn stand and Manos mount...I also use this set-up when playing from my iPad. The link is for the whole kit...

https://store.airturn.com/collections/tablet-and-mic-stands/products/the-gig-and-go-package

I run a low tech $15 web cam and a $15 condenser mic. Recorded with Debut and mixed and processed on Video Pad software. I could have goten by with just the web cam as it's mic is pretty good but the external mic allows me to emphasize the voice over the uke. I'm not sure that's a good thing though.

My Uke Buddy Gary has a 8" Amazon Fire tablet and it does a pretty good job and is easy to operate. My 7" fire has to have an external mic, so I thought I'd try it with my condenser mic.

Last edited:
Most of mine, from the past, have been my smartphone, propped up with books. More recently, I've been able to actually use my laptop for this kind of thing. I'm using a fairly cheap laptop, and Cyberlink YouCam as my software (I think my laptop came with it stock.) Hardware is a Microsoft LifeCam for video, and a Blue Yeti microphone for audio. I quite like the result. Though, there IS some limiting factors due to the laptop's lack of power. But even with that, I like it.

Top Bottom