What do you actually use to record with.

I've been recording video with an old JVC Everio HD hand-held camcorder. I like it better than my phone since I can set it up on the other side of the room, zoom in, and still see what I'm doing with the rotating monitor.

For sound I have an iRig Stage clip-on pickup and an Audio Technica AT2035 microphone that I don't know how to use: I haven't figured out yet how to aim it so that it picks up my voice without being overwhelmed by the ukulele, so I end up recording the voice and uke separately and composite them in GarageBand.

All of this gets plugged into a Focusrite 2i2 and fed into either a Mac or a PC - mostly the Mac at the moment since GarageBand and iMovie are really simple and I don't know how to use all of the knobs on the fancy software I have for the PC.

After the audio is recorded, I go back and play along with it for the video a few times from different angles - I can usually play in sync for at enough of the video that I can composite an overall view for the entire song. Alternatively, I hide the broken fingering behind a puppet ;)

A friend of mine's a semi-pro audio engineer, film director, and editor, and he's given me hints and loaned equipment, but he's been too busy with film festival season to really show me what to do.

I have mostly used multitrack recorders. Initially I used a Boss BR800, then I got a Tascam DP006 which is a small four track recorder (with two mono and two stereo tracks) and I am currently using a Tascam DP008EX. It is genuine 8 track recorder but you can export the tracks as pairs. I've variously used dynamic and condenser mics. With the DP006, I used the built in mics. They are quite good but they are omni directional and I had problems with the balance between the instrument and the vocal. At the moment I am using a Shure PG81 small diaphragm condenser mic. It has a cardioid response pattern and I can get a better balance between vocal and uke by the positioning of the mic. For my most recent recording I've used two in x-y formation for stereo. It has worked well.

I export the recordings to my computer and use Audacity to do a little processing, mainly a small amount of compression to cut down the peaks without completely losing the dynamics, a little reverb to give the recording more life as the room I record in is cluttered and a little dead and sometimes some eq to balance the sound. My aim is to try and breath a little life into the recording but not to do anything too outrageous unless I'm deliberately aiming for a particular effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom