Season 252 - BLUES - and other colours

I took a stab at this disco classic (which is why I thought I would experiment with my new flashing lights ;)). Here is my take on 99 red ballons by Nena, any chance one of our German friends can have a go at the original lyrics? My German is terrible, which is why I went for the English version.

I wrote this one last week thinking about Christmassy sessions coming up at local open mics and thinking there's a chance it might be useable for this week. I didn't really think it would actually fit the season's theme but there you go.

Lyrics:

Christmas Blues
Geoff Walker

Intro
[G C D7 G]

[G]Christmas time, the [C]lights are up
[D7]So bright and cheerful [G]everywhere
But the [C]only colour I [Em]see is blue
When [C]I look round and [D7]you're not [G]there

[G]It happened in the [C]summertime
[D7]When you said you [G]had to go
You [C]said you'd tried to [Em]make it work
[C]But you could not [D7]love me [G]so

Bridge
I [D]thought about our [G]time together
I [A7]cried and wondered what went [D]wrong
But I could not under[G]stand at all
So I [Em]just sat down and [A7]wrote this [D]song

[D G C D7 G]

Because it is that [C]time of year
I'll [D7]be as bright as I can [G]be
Although [C]inside I'll [Em]feel so blue
I'll [C]laugh and wish you [D7]Christmas [G]cheer.

Repeat Bridge and v3

Outro
Although [C]inside I'll [Em]feel so blue
I'll [C]laugh and wish you [D7]Christmas [G]cheer.

Got the season number wrong in my videos. Only realised when I had uploaded. Not worth changing. My apologies.

I did this one before, but it was almost 100 seasons ago! This time I used a uke that I didn't have back then. Also, this is my 1000th post--although not all of them were videos.

It's been a bit since I've posted. I'm in the middle of an active duty Air Force tour which came immediately following the move to Colorado. It's been hectic and I'm not getting as much "me time" (ukulele time) as I'd like.

I believe though that this video I recorded tonight meets the requirements.

It sure has been a long time since I posted in the Seasons, but here's an entry. As last time, I forgot about the introductory lines...but awww shucks... The blues is an instrumental, inspired by the morning color outside my office window. Take it or leave it as an entry...but I hope you enjoy a little jazzy blues no matter what!
Happy Holiday Season, y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJivJjJim8s

Honestly, I didn't even know that this song even had lyrics, and then the version of this 16th Century English tune had some 20 verses! I cherry picked a few that got the point across. Wonderfully singable lyrics... two 'wouldst"s and a 'disdainst'! The lyrics themselves tell the exact same story as Kanye West's unfortunate classic Gold Digger. If it hadn't been for that song, he never would have gotten noticed.
The video features a side performance by my 7-month-old cat. Enjoy!

It sure has been a long time since I posted in the Seasons, but here's an entry. As last time, I forgot about the introductory lines...but awww shucks... The blues is an instrumental, inspired by the morning color outside my office window. Take it or leave it as an entry...but I hope you enjoy a little jazzy blues no matter what!
Happy Holiday Season, y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJivJjJim8s

Thanks for the week, Keith! Two colours here, one of which is blue. I think this would probably sound better strummed, but my bashed strumming finger still hasn't recovered and I have just shut the index finger of my left hand in the door of the washing machine. I should probably just give up! HAVE JUST RE-PUBLISHED THIS BELOW ... WITH MORE VOLUME - IF YOU'RE GOING TO WATCH IT AT ALL, THEN I WOULD GO FOR THAT ONE!

Last edited:
I think this would probably sound better strummed, but my bashed strumming finger still hasn't recovered and I have just shut the index finger of my left hand in the door of the washing machine. I should probably just give up!

They really should put a warning on all washing machines - "Please remove all fingers before closing the door." ;)

Here is my latest original written especially for this week. It's a blues about feeling grey and manages to get a few other colour references in too. It is the result too of an excellent video on Learning Blues Mandolin (by Steve James) that I bought about two years ago, but have only just started to work on. Talk about jumping in at the deep end - it's a real fast forward course, but I am loving it. I had never done a blues solo on a mandolin before today. Thank you Steve!

PS Bon Nadal a tothom des de Catalunya! (Merry Christmas y'all!)

Top Bottom