New Build Thread: Hive Birdeye Maple and Reedwood tenor

Just gorgeous.

Fwiw I would plump for the gold tuners. They set the whole thing off.

Spectacular Dana. I have the Black UPT on three ukes so I like them a lot. But on your Hive I like the look of the gold. The large black headstock and black fretboard need "something" and the gold tuners do it.

Thanks Jim, RAB11, and Dave. Yes, it is a tough choice between the black and gold. I like them both.

Dana, the Birdseye maple binding on Birdseye maple body is great look.
Regarding the tuners, I like tuner color to connect to something else on the uke. Either black or gold color works, even the nickel.

OK, it is time for the final update. I received my Hive tenor from Jake about a week ago, and am just getting around to recording a quick, one take sound sample. Because after all, the sound is really the only thing that ultimately matters about a uke. And I know that people here all always looking for sound samples, so here is one. https://soundcloud.com/dkcrown/ste-000.

The sound is very much what I expected from this wood combination, warm, but very crisp. And this uke is loud! It plays very easily, the action is low, and the tension is very comfortable. Jake believes this is a trait of his twelve fret to the body ukes. Oh, and as you can see, I opted for the gold Gotohs

Thanks to Jake for his wonderful craftsmanship and attention to detail. It really is a stunningly handsome ukulele. And now for the eye candy!

Quite a stunner, and the sound sample was fabulous ... CONGRATS.

Also, I love the arrangement and collection of UKES ... :drool:

Do you take complete strangers in for coffee visits and marvel at the fabulous collection you have developed? :cool:

Quite a stunner, and the sound sample was fabulous ... CONGRATS.

Also, I love the arrangement and collection of UKES ... :drool:

Do you take complete strangers in for coffee visits and marvel at the fabulous collection you have developed? :cool:

Thank you Simon. And yes, UU visitors are always welcome. :)

As for my collection, fortunately the number is way down. Like Eddie, I have owned close to fifty ukuleles. I have sold off many great ukes. and do miss some of them. But I am more than happy with what I have left in my stable. I might even sell off a couple more.

Thank you Simon. And yes, UU visitors are always welcome. :)

As for my collection, fortunately the number is way down. Like Eddie, I have owned close to fifty ukuleles. I have sold off many great ukes. and do miss some of them. But I am more than happy with what I have left in my stable. I might even sell off a couple more.

That is a pretty fine looking wall ... could spend hours enjoying those!

Congrats on the new addition.

That really is one of a kind, just gorgeous, I love the looks and the colours. Excellent sound to this instrument and great playing, congratulations on a superb ukulele.

Last edited:
She looks amazing, congrats!

Killer work of art! Thanks for the sound sample and nice playing. You have quite the collection!

Dana, welcome to Bee Hive! I love everything about your Hive. I am a lover of maple and do not yet have a birds eye maple uke. I have big leaf (quilted) and flamed, so if yours is ever missing, I should probably be investigated.

Enjoy!!

Congratulations. I had read the early start of this thread and then lost touch. I'm so glad I found it again. What a awesome looking Uke and it sounds so wonderful. Very warm and clear/articulate all at the same time. You are very fortunate. Wonderful looking collectionyounhave. I have a Moodyville in Sitka and black walnut, also with fretboard dots. Great sounding ukuleles also. Take care.

Thanks for sharing your excellent pictures and sound sample of your Hive. Definitely an outstanding player and looker. Don't think I have ever seen a redwood & birds-eye maple uke, before. That was an excellent combination.

Thank you Mezcalero, Eddie and M3.

Eddie, I know that you are the King of maple ukes. But I also believe that you are partial to spruce tops, so I think that would make mine safe for the time being. :)

M3, I remember that you have the same wood combo Moodyville as myself. Shelly make a fine ukulele.

Top Bottom