Joji Custom Tenor

UkeInTW

Reaction score
Just wondering if any UU member was the one who bought the Joji custom tenor on HMS. Pricey, but was I tempted. Beautiful snakewood and koa and I just loved the headstock and loved the sound. Love to hear more about it.

https://vimeo.com/194988886

I saw and played this uke..if I was not in the situation I am in now I would of bought this uke....it is a little heavy but because of the snakewood neck but nothing to worry about... nothing that affects the tone...this uke sounds really nice..Corey and Noah at the Ukulele Site loved the tone...I was at the store when it arrived....
btw this is the first snakewood uke I have seen..i saw snakewood for fretboards but thats about it....

the snakewood back sides and neck super nice never saw anything like it....if you can afford the price get it...:) the Rogers tuners alone are 800.00....

So great to hear your "in-person" impressions, Len. I thought the uke was stunning to look at but the tone did not blow me away based on the video sample. It goes to show that while the video samples are wonderful, it is not the same as being in the same room. Or better yet, getting to play it as you did.

So great to hear your "in-person" impressions, Len. I thought the uke was stunning to look at but the tone did not blow me away based on the video sample. It goes to show that while the video samples are wonderful, it is not the same as being in the same room. Or better yet, getting to play it as you did.

Here in lies the "personal preference" factor that makes favorites so subjective. I just listened to this uke then listened to every other custom in stock at HMS. I thought this was the best of the bunch..........and I don't even like reentrant tuning.

That is why when someones asks is A better than B or C there is no correct answer. It is so individualistic and can even change from day to day. I might just happen to like the song that is being played

Last edited:
Here in lies the "personal preference" factor that makes favorites so subjective. I just listened to this uke then listened to every other custom in stock at HMS. I thought this was the best of the bunch..........and I don't even like reentrant tuning.

That is why when someones asks is A better than B or C there is no correct answer. It is so individualistic and can even change from day to day. I might just happen to like the song that is being played

So true, so true! Which makes it so very difficult when debating on ordering a custom. I am "contemplating" doing so in the next year or so even though it will seriously deplete my retirement funds LOL. I am absolutely in love with the sound of this Kinnard https://vimeo.com/163129683 - but, as said, there is a risk I may not love it in person....or ever play well enough to make it sing as it should. Then I listened to SoloRules wonderful video of her LFDM again and now the Joji, which I think sounds fabulous, and it brings me back to reality -that there will always be new instruments that come along that seem to strike the right chord in terms of tone, that it is really a matter of personal perception at the time and even this will change, and that you will never really know if it's the "one" until you have it in your hands (so it's somewhat of a crap shoot when it comes to customs). Maybe I just have to be content to listen to dream instruments on this forum and instead use string changes to satisfy my UAS until/unless I can try something in person before committing. Mmm, lots of chatter lately about the Thomastik wound 3rd and 4th strings. Maybe that will be a Xmas present to myself.

But I sure do appreciate folks posting the videos and their impressions!!! Keep em coming.

Yes, absolutely subjective indeed. My point was more the fact that the video samples are wonderful, but not as good as hearing in person, which is not as good as playing it oneself. And I do agree, the song be played can have a big impact. Though I appreciated for this one there were two songs in the video sample. It's very cool that Len gets to hear so many in person (and play quite a few of them, too)!

I'll also add that a few months ago there was a Ko'olau with sinker redwood top and rosewood body. First sample was nice but did not have me drooling. A few days later they posted another sample with same uke. Low G this time and different song and it "blew me away." It might also be that I'm a fickle pickle and it depends on the day and my mood. ;-)

And since Len shared how everyone was impressed with the sound, I'm sure it's incredible. Congrats to whomever scored it!

Last edited:
Thanks Len. Glad you got to play it and see it in person. $800 tuners, hard to imagine any tuners costing that much. A beauty.

Wonder how much that high quality snakewood cost. Here's a list of the 10 hardest woods. Should have a "bell like" tone. I think it's gorgeous. Wish I could hear in person. Hell, I'd be happy just to have some of the wood let alone a uke with it.

Mopani
Brown Ebony
Katalox
Figured Katalox
African Blackwood
Brazilian Ebony
Lignum Vitae (Argentine)
Red Coolibah Burl
Snakewood
Lignum Vitae (Genuine)

Last edited:
I just listened to this uke then listened to every other custom in stock at HMS. I thought this was the best of the bunch..........and I don't even like reentrant tuning.

It's one of the nicer ones that has come up in a while imho. Very clean and articulate tone, yet still very full and resonant.

Visually, though.. I don't prefer the 1/2 n 1/2 rosette, or the birthmark on the headstock face, even though the grains are gorgeous. But sonically... it's drool worthy. I think it would make a great recording instrument. I know aesthetics are personal, but nits are picked at that level of instrument.

Rodgers tuners the Steinway of tuners for classical guitar. Didnt know they had them for ukulele.

Top Bottom