Season 253 - Songs of Rebirth and Reawakening

Tootler

Reaction score
Sorry. No introductory video this time. It's not been the best of weeks one way and another. But I'll try and get a song done tomorrow if I get time.

During this week we have the winter solstice and the season ends on Christmas day. The winter solstice was a major festival in pagan times and it was celebrated as a time of reawakening and of rebirth. The days start to get longer and the spring will be coming with the germination of crops and of new growth. It's no coincidence, then that the early Christians chose to celebrate the birth of Jesus at this time.

So this weeks songs should be on the themes of rebirth, reawakening and, of course, Celebration. Interpret that how you will.

Usual Rules
a) Ukulele should be the main instrument though other instruments are fine in addition.
b) Start and finish on Sunday as usual so 8 days.
c) Multi tracking, plugging in etc. are all OK
d) Three song limit. This is likely to be a busy week for all of us.

Playlist

Last edited:

Gosh! For the first time ever, I'm the first one here! I had to hedge my bets with this one, Geoff, as I shan't have any time this coming week; I just hope it sort of fits. So ... ahem, I bring you a tawdry tale which involves, if not rebirth, then reawakening and celebration - and an awful lot of blind optimism!

Great theme, Geoff!

Great theme our Geoffrey!

Gosh! For the first time ever, I'm the first one here! I had to hedge my bets with this one, Geoff, as I shan't have any time this coming week; I just hope it sort of fits. So ... ahem, I bring you a tawdry tale which involves, if not rebirth, then reawakening and celebration - and an awful lot of blind optimism!

I think you are just a teeny weeny bit previous, Lil. However in the spirit of the season and because you said why, you will be forgiven.

Can I please remind you all not to post your entries here before midnight Hawaii time which means 10am Sunday here in the UK and various other local times elsewhere. After all Season 252 is still ongoing it I'm sure Keith would love a few more entries from you.

I think you are just a teeny weeny bit previous, Lil. However in the spirit of the season and because you said why, you will be forgiven.

Can I please remind you all not to post your entries here before midnight Hawaii time which means 10am Sunday here in the UK and various other local times elsewhere. After all Season 252 is still ongoing it I'm sure Keith would love a few more entries from you.

Whoops! Sorry, Geoff! (My knowledge of time zones is virtually non-existent; but now I know that first post shouldn't be earlier than 11.00 a.m. on Sunday here in France.) I was feeling rather wired after an evening out with friends, and was so impressed that I had actually recorded something, that I decided to post it and get it out of the way without even thinking of the time. Apologies to you and to Keith!

I know Christmas has arrived when this comes on the radio. This entered the UK charts at #1 back in 1973 and went on to become a million seller, I've no idea what it did anywhere else in the World.

Whoops! Sorry, Geoff! (My knowledge of time zones is virtually non-existent; but now I know that first post shouldn't be earlier than 11.00 a.m. on Sunday here in France.) I was feeling rather wired after an evening out with friends, and was so impressed that I had actually recorded something, that I decided to post it and get it out of the way without even thinking of the time. Apologies to you and to Keith!

No worries from me either. ;)

Make a note of this site, & you'll always know the time in Hawaii. - http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-HI.aspx

There are some who eagerly await the new Season, but there are some who either can't post before the weekend, or have been working on something all week, so the overlap works both ways. :)

No worries from me either. ;)

Make a note of this site, & you'll always know the time in Hawaii. - http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-HI.aspx

There are some who eagerly await the new Season, but there are some who either can't post before the weekend, or have been working on something all week, so the overlap works both ways. :)

Well, I don't usually post anything for two or three days after the new week has started, so I've never had to think about time zones before ... and I'll have a look at that site. Thanks, Keith!

A little tune from a duo of street musicians from Nashville that I have recently discovered. As I said in the video, this is a song about rebirth, but likely not the kind most are thinking about for this theme. In any event, it is a Lost Dog Street Band song and if you have not heard them yet, do so.
Lost in the moment, I said 243...sigh

Last edited:
Season 253. Submission 1. "Watch The Stars" (recorded by The Pentangle on their "Sweet Child" album in 1968. The song may actually be an African-American spiritual.)

Geoff, I offer this one for the Season because it reminds us of the comfort taken in Light through the ages. And with this Winter Solstice, the growing daylight hours welcomed here in the north.

Wishing everyone a joyous holiday season with wishes for a healthy and happy New Year.

I apologise that I am going to be a little late starting my comments. I've been busy today and out this evening. Tomorrow will be busy too and I'm out in the evening again. After that, I should be able to get round to commenting on your posts.

I suspect many of you will be busy too.

Finally an apology to our friends from down under. I forgot that for you it's the summer solstice. However, I hope the theme is good for you too. The celebration aspect will work for everyone.

Top Bottom