Season 253 - Songs of Rebirth and Reawakening

Earlier today I learned this song was Chrissie Hynde's response to the death of her guitarist. My dad loved The Pretenders (and had a soft spot for Ms Hynde), and I dedicate it to his memory.

thank you for this week Geoff.
sometimes a simple thing like going home is akin to being reborn.
i guess that one way or another, we're all on our way home.

I got a chance to start listening to your entries. Some great stuff so far. I've got as far as the end of page 2. I'm just leaving the comments on You Tube this week but I'll do updates to let you know how far I've got. I'm adding to the playlist as I go.

Here's a link and I'll put one on the front page too: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg2RZHnrXbUC6kND6MNcejVVcYRCxMlIm

If I've left a comment and you're not on the playlist, please let me know. PM is probably better.

I have been trying to learn this piece for over 25 years. About a month a year in each case. It is one of the most difficult pieces I have worked on and almost impossible to sing as written. Even the Andrews Sisters had to change it!

Right, I've caught up to here. You should all have comments. If you have not been added to the playlist, please let me know.

In case you're wondering, I decided not to go out tonight. I'm tired so I'm staying home.

Evergreen - Original Song

Howdy Seasonistas!

Full disclosure: I started this one for Keith's Season last week, but wasn't able to finish it. I figure it fits with this week as well, because it is a Solstice/Christmas sort of thing, in which a man goes into the woods to cut a tree, has a pseudo mystical experience changes his mind and goes home. Or something. :) The good part is that I had time to get my friend Steve to join in on his guitar, and he really delivers!

I wish you all a Jolly Christmasolstichannakwanzadan! Cheers!

Here is the second instrumental I ever learned how to play. It's an appropriate time of year to dust it off. I'm having fun playing with a few instrumentals at the moment. There is one that I'm about 2/3 of the way through learning that sounds absolutely fantastic. Hopefully I'll be able to do it for a season some time.

My favorite song about everything that happens once the days start to get longer. I am no fan of December 21st and the chill of winter. I much prefer the pants free freedom of summer ;)

If you don't know Jim Lauderdale, you should. N.C. native, prolific country/bluegrass songwriter (including numbers for George Jones, George Strait, Patty Loveless, Buddy Miller, even Elvis Costello), longtime collaborator with Ralph Stanley and Robert Hunter (of Grateful Dead lyrics fame). The first Hunter/Lauderdale work was an album called "Headed for the Hills," and this is the title cut. Jim has a rangy, twangy, backwoods country voice. I don't. But I did it anyway. He also has amazing hair and suits that would make Porter Wagoner proud.

This is the story of the rebirth of belief following the loss of a beloved grandparent. I transposed this to a minor key.

I don't know how I got this done. Guess it went easy for a change :) I think it fits the theme as we are in a constant state of renewal round the world. I thought Nana Mouskouri wrote this song, lol. It was Bob Dylan....wrote it for her apparently. Wear your headphones for this one :)

Brief commercial break to say that the Season 251 wrap-up video is now live. You may now return to your regularly scheduled Season.

A beautiful, and by far my favourite, carol written by our own Lesley Fowkes. I have recorded it every year since it was written and am waiting for it to get the recognition it so deserves.

A little melodica at the beginning and a little recorder at the end, with echo added by Audacity. Lots of chords changes in this one. At one point on my chord sheet, I put a note out to the side that said "Gm coming up." It looks like youtube's "processing" threw my audio/video sync a little out of whack on the last video. We'll see what happens with this one.

From the 1966 Musical "Mame", this song embodies the ideal that Christmas is a time of renewed hope for all mankind. In this Spirit I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom