Season 253 - Songs of Rebirth and Reawakening

Like Pa, I have chosen to do this beautiful song by our very own Lesley Fowkes (barefootgypsy). At the end of November, I took it to our weekly uke session. Every week since then, it has been requested. Everybody loves it. Thanks for creating it, Lesley.

In villages around South Yorkshire, and in other parts of the country, there is a tradition of singing Christmas carols in pubs from mid-November onwards, many of which are rarely heard anywhere else. Some of these songs were (allegedly) driven out of churches by the rather formal Victorians, for being too pagan, or too jolly. The English folk singer Kate Rusby has made three CDs of these songs, and performs them every year at her Christmas concerts. She thinks there are around 30 versions of "While Shepherds Watched" sung in various places. This is one of them.

I chose an instrumental this week Geoff. I should try and concentrate more on them. For me they are tough. After a million takes I finally had one that is expectable for you.

Wishing you and your family the happiest of holidays and a happy new year!

I too would love to have a go at Lesley's beautiful song Tread Softly By The Stable. If someone has the lyrics and chords can you shoot me a PM please.

Last edited:
here is a traditional called Mr. Rabbit, because every little soul's gonna shine.:love:

love from us.

Rastafarian based on Psalm 19 and 137 originally recorded by The Melodians
and featured in the movie The harder they come.

At separate times the Northern kingdom of Israel and the southern kingdom of Judea
were taken into Babylonia as captives. It was only under the reign of Artaxerxes
that Nehemiah was allowed to return to Jerusalem to rebuild the walls.

A long time for rebirth and reawakening. Songs keep traditions alive.
Without songs we forget who we are.

I think this song by Steve Earle completely fits this week's theme. It's a Christmas song, but also one about literal rebirth. I had to do it.

This was a song I recorded one time a long, long time ago. How long ago? I didn't have any kids at the time. Now, my oldest is a sophomore in college. They are the lights and center of my life. This is for Christmas, and this is for Ellie, Josie and Robin.

Sorry about the dark video - I did it by candle light for atmosphere.

Recently, we had show tunes as our theme and I presented a few songs from my old Magic Ox Theatre Company days. Aside from doing, what we could loosely call, theatrical events, Magic Ox also performed at and/or organised celebratory rituals at which songs of rebirth were a common contribution.

So, this week's theme has just fallen into my lap. I intend to upload four short songs that are essentially on topic.

The first is a song from a celebration of the Equinox. Put on your best Wiccan / Pagan mindset and listen to:

Last edited:
Thank You Steve and Pabrizzer for sharing the lyrics and chords on this. More people should be bringing this one. I love it so much. Its beautifully written and the melody stays with you with its rocking lullaby feel.

Huge thanks to Lesley Fowkes (Barefootgypsy) for an inspired song. I imagine someday this being sung by someone that will bring it to the world. I hear it in my head with a full orchestra and a beautiful tender soprano voice.

Last edited:
Another song from my Magic Ox repertoire. This song had two claims to fame. One was the chorus got sung as a chant / round at the Peace Camps that sprung up in response to Reagan heating up the Cold War. To hear tell of my song being chanted at Greenham Common was magic! The second was that the song gave title to a Fayre (a kind of low key rock/folk festival) in East Anglia called "Rainbow's Children" - the poster for which featured the words of the song worked into the cool hippy design. Not bad for a song that was written as a one off for a specific show.

Musically this period of my life was that in which the influence of my favourite Folk Fusion group "The Incredible String Band" could be most easily detected.

I'm caught up to here, I think and I think I've got you all on the playlist. If your video isn't on the playlist, please PM me and let me know and I'll put it right.

Some lovely stuff so far and given the time of year and how busy everyone will be, the number of entries is also very pleasing. 35 so far. If we get 50 I'll be both pleased and surprised as things are going to start getting hectic, I reckon. My elder daughter arrives tomorrow afternoon. I hope she gets here in reasonable time as there are high winds forecast for tomorrow.

If we get 50 I'll be both pleased and surprised as things are going to start getting hectic, I reckon. My elder daughter arrives tomorrow afternoon. I hope she gets here in reasonable time as there are high winds forecast for tomorrow.

I hope your daughter makes it before the winds arrive. I'm a bit worried about things getting hectic, too. I have a great song, but it's a bit tricky and I only settled on it yesterday, so I'm not sure if I'll get it done in time.

I don't know if there's very much rebirth and reawakening in this song, but it's something I found while looking for solstice songs and I liked it. It's both serious and funny; as you will see I couldn't help cracking up so I finally just kept the bit where I kept losing it.

One from Mumford and Sons, perhaps a coming of age song

Top Bottom