Which strings to use to get even loudness from a piezo pick-up?

imperialbari

Reaction score
I have got the eletric version of the Blackbird Farallon tenor ukulele, which is a very resonant instrument with a low G string.

However I prefer the high G string for complex chord playing. And there I run into the problem, that with Aquila Nylgut strings the high G string comes out weaker than the other strings also when playing amplified.

As I understand it the basic loudness of a piezo pick-up is related to the pressure that the string puts on the saddle above the piezo element. There the thinner high G string apparently puts less pressure on the saddle than the thicker low G string does.

In my understanding of general mechanics the high G string could put the samme pressure on the saddle, if it were thicker and hence had to be tightened harder by means of the tuning mechanism.

Is there a commercially available set of strings that brings the high G string more forward in the balance with the other strings?

Klaus

If the instrument was supplied with a low-G, is it possible that the build of the instrument and the installation of the piezo was optimised for that configuration?

If so it may be worthwhile contacting the manufacturers for their comments ... they may be able to supply or suggest an alternative pick-up or make specific string recommendations.

Good luck :)

Yes, I'm sure you can find a higher-tension high-g, but first, I'd try to do some troubleshooting elimination. Try another set/brand. Flurocarbon strings are a great opposite side of the coin from Nylgut. If the high-g is still weak, then you could say plausibly that it's either the instrument or the general "way of the high-g world" and that sets tend towards a wimpy high-g gauge (but I doubt it). I wouldn't panic yet. Lots of Aquila fans here, but I'd be pretty surprised if the issue doesn't clear up as soon as you try some new strings.

Could also chat with Southcoast. They have many choices of "balanced" string sets including some new string sets that might be what you are looking for.

I have got the eletric version of the Blackbird Farallon tenor ukulele, which is a very resonant instrument with a low G string.

However I prefer the high G string for complex chord playing. And there I run into the problem, that with Aquila Nylgut strings the high G string comes out weaker than the other strings also when playing amplified.

As I understand it the basic loudness of a piezo pick-up is related to the pressure that the string puts on the saddle above the piezo element. There the thinner high G string apparently puts less pressure on the saddle than the thicker low G string does.

In my understanding of general mechanics the high G string could put the samme pressure on the saddle, if it were thicker and hence had to be tightened harder by means of the tuning mechanism.

Is there a commercially available set of strings that brings the high G string more forward in the balance with the other strings?

Klaus

Does your existing A string give you adequate volume?

This is likely to be as close in diameter to a hi-G as it needs to be, for testing purposes, so you could try shifting the A string to the other side of the bridge to see if there's a response issue with the piezo or if it really is a problem with the strings.

Could save buying a whole bunch of strings unnecessarily ;)

As I have to import strings myself from the UK or from Germany, it took a bit of time, but since some weeks I now have used Martin Clear Fluorocarbon tenor strings on my Farallon.

They are much more even in volume between the strings than are the Aquila Nylgut string. The attack also is less plonky and the sound is more singing.

Klaus

Try a set of Living Waters from Ken Middleton.
The folks from Blackbird were impressed with the sound of our Blackbirds.

I am not even sure I can lift off the bridge of my Farallon. But then I have adjusted the bridges of my my Ovation ukes by means of shims.

Klaus

The saddle (white bone or plastic) should be loose and slide or lift out. Usually, the piezo pickup sits underneath the saddle. The saddle height might need reducing to correct the action.

Last edited:
Your problem is probably not with the strings. You haven't said, but it's probably safe to assume that un-amplified, your instrument is fine. That's the goal with strings. Get it right acoustically. Next you install the amplification equipment to meet requirements of the instrument. When your Blackbird was strung with the low G (wound, right?) the piezo was then placed to work with that setup. Now you've changed to a G string with (most probably) far less volume. The piezo(s) is (are) placed wrong for your new string. I'd say you need to re-position the piezo(s).

Stick on Piezo's or undersaddle pick ups?
If undersaddle, check the bottom of the saddle for flatness. If the saddle is not in even contact with the piezo pick up, some strings may have less volume.
h

I have adjusted the shims on my 4 Ovations (2 ukes, a nylon string Viper with classical fingerboard, and a Texas bass guitar), so the idea isn’t foreign to me. But I don’t want to mess with the Farallon while it is under warranty without contacting Blackbird Guitars. So I jusr wrote Joe Luttwak, with whom I also communicated before buying the Farallon.

Klaus

Top Bottom