Anybody Use MuseScore?

kohanmike,Thanks for sharing. I do know MobileSheets, and I just want to mention that the developer JUST announced MobileSheets for Windows 10...so anyone with one of those large Surface Pro 4 models now has an option for sheet music (there was Sheet Music Reader, which is a $65 program) in PDF on their devices. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those Hannspad models if I don't get the 12.9" iPad soon. I have had to start wearing reading glasses...and I think 8 years of iPhone and 6 years of teaching with an iPad have increased the need for the glasses.

Mike Zuber has mentioned that he also wants to develop an iOS version, but the competition is pretty stiff there. I decided it wasn't worth spending close to $1000 for an iPad Pro when the Hannspad and MobileSheets worked so well for under $200, and my 9.7" iPad for everything else.

Last edited:
I tried to use MuseScore but was unhappy with the learning curve.

I was pleased to see that it was free, open source and runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. I use a Mac for my music computer, but Linux on my everyday computer.

Having spent almost 33 yrs working as professional in IT, most software comes easy to me, and like Choirguy, I like to just dive in and figure it out, but this time I just kept getting too frustrated...and my time to go online and read the tutorials or watch the videos kept getting interrupted and cut short, so I had to shelve this program for the time being...

All I really wanted to do is get a treble clef for the melody line (with lyrics below) and then the guitar, or uke chords, either just the name (like Bb7+5) or a full pictogram lined up above the single staff line, and this I could never make happen. It would be nice also to get a uke or guitar TAB staff as well, but again, my efforts have been futile...

If anyone has a link to instructions, I'd sure appreciate having them. Not sure what version I am running, but seems like maybe I should check for an update as well...

Thanks in advance for your assistance. :music:

Booli, I opened my MuseScore and got a message about an update, so I updated to 2.0.2 and then today I opened it and there is a update to 2.0.3? I'm not sure what version I was using before, probably a year old version but the new version has a Start/Help panel in the opening screen. I haven't messed too much with it yet but it appears to be more friendly.

If anyone creates an Ukulele chord pallet they could share it (I think) with the rest of us. Hint Hint ;)

This might also work, could even be comparable to mike's tablet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuvision-16...with-Bluetooth-and-Dual-Cameras-/351867330574

also: https://www.amazon.com/Nuvision-Touch-Android-Tablet-1-6GHz/dp/B01LQE7E48

hopefully that's true. For that price I might consider grabbing that for sheets...

The whole problem with adding/modifying note lengths in the middle of a phrase just makes me mad about the whole thing. But I did want something to typeset my daughter's work. After a few painful days of working with it I finally did discover a few PITA workarounds (mostly cut/paste type stuff) to get the phrasing. A problem with my daughter's compositions were that a few of them toss in shortened measures occasionally which forced me to deal with all of those up front instead of dressing them up at the backend.

If I were to use musescore today for ukulele type stuff I would be more tempted to take some of my ukulele books that have tabs and retranscribe them without tabs to force me to properly learn picking type stuff. Although I guess strips of paper and tape might work just as well on the original books....

Last edited:
bnolsen,

I found these the other day as well...and then quickly realized that the Hannspad and the NuVision above are widescreen tablets. I don't have any problem with people that want these devices--I just don't like reading "paper" documents on a widescreen device...which is why kohanmike is working to find solutions that create documents to the size specifications of his tablet (now, in retrospect, I know why he wanted that feature).

I'm going to have to wait for a 4x3 solution, such as the 12.9" iPad Pro...which will result in music that is 12" tall and 8.68 inches wide.

Kohanmike, I'd also suggest trying to find out the paper size that matches the widescreen format of your tablet. You should be able to customize the PDF to that exact paper size pretty easily (thinking in terms of inches instead of pixels) on just about any notation program.

Just tried musescore 2.0.3 to directly transcribe one of the tony mizen pieces.
Inputting a page of music using the mouse took 20 mins or so (about 30 measures worth).
The problem I have is that the tablature won't correctly come in unless I transpose the notes up one octave to ukulele concert pitch.
I'm trying to figure out how to get the notes back down to where they belong without using an 8va thing.
I'm guessing it's related to the ukulele being a 1 octave transposing instrument.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

And yes I would love to tack on chords to the piece as it can make it easier to get the fretting hand in a good position to play things.

Last edited:
The problem I have is that the tablature won't correctly come in unless I transpose the notes up one octave to ukulele concert pitch.
I'm trying to figure out how to get the notes back down to where they belong without using an 8va thing.

I'm not understanding the problem, so I need to ask for some more clarification. The ukulele, as far as I know, is non-transposing instrument. C on the ukulele is C4, or middle C. If you have reentrant tuning, G is the C above middle C, and the same with E and A. As you write things out, or click with a mouse, you should be hearing/seeing actual pitch.

Can you clarify this some more for me? If you want, you can even send me an e-mail (just attach gmail to my handle) and I'll take a look at it.

I'm guessing it's related to the ukulele being a 1 octave transposing instrument.

The ukulele is not a transposing instrument, so something must have gone awry with the score settings when you first set it up.

Try right-clicking anywhere in the TAB stave and select 'stave properties'. That will show you the instrument - make sure it is set to Ukulele. At the bottom of the dialogue box click the button 'Edit string data' - then you can edit each string to get the desired pitch.

And yes I would love to tack on chords to the piece as it can make it easier to get the fretting hand in a good position to play things.

Musescore has a number of 'fretboard diagrams' in the advanced palette. They are for guitar, but you can you can edit them, or create your own and add them to a custom palette. Lots of instructions in the manual here. Chord names have to be added separately.

HTH

Bill1, if you find that MuseScore can export just lyrics and chords, I would be shocked. I don't know any notation app that can do that.

What I *did* was to create a new score with Solo -> Guitar + Tablature, then change to 4 line tab and Ukulele instrument.

Never saw anyting about linking in the musescore stuff.

I did see a video where someone created a treble cleff using Piano voice, then used 'I' to add a linked but separate ukulele tab.

So what I have in the instruments dialog is a single stave with a Treble clef 8vb (hack) and Tablature.

Looks like they have too many different ways of doing the same thinginstruments.jpg

Okay figured it out. The guitar tab actually uses treble clef 8vb which I inherited.

Last edited:
I have Musescore and have only used it to arrange solos for younger students on flute, clarinet and sax. There aren't many solos out there for that skill level that are both musical and contain concepts that I am trying to teach.

Haven't tried it for ukulele tab yet, but I find the program pretty easy to use, especially after playing around with it for a while. I started with some easy arrangements and some etudes that I've made for finger work.

This is an old thread about MuseScore.
I found this today (June 2017), which is about a Kickstarter for OpenScore.
I think if OpenScore does what it says, it will make life a lot easier for ukulele players and teachers because it is about an interactive experience based on "real" music formatting and information things (like key, tempo, bars, loudness etc.) not some of the half baked stuff that has been masqueraded as ukulele repertoire. I am talking about the format and information presented more than just the fact that it is starting with some classical music.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/openscore/openscore-join-the-sheet-music-revolution?ref=2a6htd

Good spotting Bill1. I would hope Musescore users on UU would somehow publish/make available their Uke Music thru the Musescore soft copies. Maybe there should be a thread/forum for Musescore music sharing?

I have made several lead sheets on MuseScore.
I did put up many of my transcribed pieces.
They were quickly taken down.

They were probably in breach of copyright.

The advantage of using MuseScore to publish your adaption of a tune is that the rights of the writers and arrangers and other administrative things are looked after by MuseScore...

This doesn't mean that anyone has carte blanche to arrange and upload to the site someone else's music.

Here is a sample thread from the Musescore forum: Copyright Question. It probably should apply to UU as well!

Top Bottom