Newbie looking for first Uke

wils8262

Reaction score
I heard someone playing the ukulele last week and loved it so much that I want to learn. I'm considering a baritone because it is similar in sound to a guitar. Should I also consider looking at a tenor, concert or soprano? What made others choose their first uke? Thanks in advance!

Two choices you can spend a lot of time reading on this forum, or you can head to a shop and buy an instrument and start playing. Happy trails on the ukulele journey.

Look at the book by Barry Max; and I suggest Caramel Ukuleles for a first instrument, particularly if you are not sure if you will keep going.

As for size...tenor gets you into all the GCEA ukulele resources--although there are baritone resources, too.

I played guitar for almost fifty years before I started playing the uke over three years ago, I haven't touched my guitars since. One of the things that I liked so much is that a uke does not sound like a guitar, it has it's own unique sound with the re-entrant tuning. I chose tenor because when I inadvertently played a soprano at first, it was too tight for me to finger comfortably, tenor is most comfortable for me.

Last edited:
If you are seeking an instrument that sounds like a guitar, buy a guitar :). Concert or tenor should serve you well as a first uke. And you don't have to spend a ton to get started. I'd recommend getting one from a reputable, pre-sale "set up-oriented" shop. Have fun!

How much are you looking to spend? Do you have tools and the skill to make adjustments to an instrument? What general geographical area are you living in? Those three bits of information help with making recommendations. :)

I live in New York State and I'd like to spend up to $200. I played the piano and flute when I was younger, but will need to learn everything with the uke. Thank you, everyone, for your advice!

Since you're in the US, I would definitely take advantage of having several vendors that include "set up" with the instrument. This means that they make adjustments to ensure good playability and intonation. This is often an issue with cheaper stringed instruments, and it can absolutely determine how much fun you have with it. It's why I asked if you are able to make modifications yourself and have the tools (files and such) to do it yourself.

I'd look at TheUkuleleSite.com (every instrument there has a video where you can see and hear it), Uke Republic, and Mim's Ukes (chiefly on ebay). All of these do set-up work. $200 limits the choices a bit. Looking here: http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/baritone.html?dir=asc&order=price I feel that if you can stretch your budget a bit, the two solid top models by Kala are probably by far the best value ($274 and $295). If possible, I'd go for a solid top instrument. Laminated sides and back are fine, and even have advantages (increased volume in some cases, lower maintenance), but since most of the sound comes from the top, a solid top is desirable.

Buying used from a reputable forum member (i.e. you want to be sure you get a setup instrument) is another option. Might want to ask about these particular Kala models or a Mainland baritone down in the Marketplace section to see if someone offers them at around the $200 mark.

Last edited:
Is there a size that is more versatile than others? And is there a size that has more options of music to play? Thanks again, everyone!

Is there a size that is more versatile than others? And is there a size that has more options of music to play? Thanks again, everyone!
Most of the ukulele learning resources and music resources are going to be with the GCEA tuning used in soprano, concert, or tenor sizes. That said, you could use any of that and play it on baritone. It's just you'd be in a different key with the baritone.

I'm wondering what size uke you heard being played. That one captured your attention, so it's worth noting.

I'd say the larger the uke the more versatile it's going to be since you will have more range and notes that are easily accessible. It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to just strum and play accompaniment then any size will do fine. If you want to get into some complex instrumental finger style music or something you may be better off with the added range of the larger sizes.
Also, all other things being equal between instruments, the larger the size the deeper the sound.

You'll also want to research low G vs. high G tuning, if you haven't already. A low tuned tenor would sound more guitar like than a standard tuned tenor.

Definitely buy from somewhere that offers a setup along with the purchase, so you'll get a good playing instrument to start with. Some places have already been mentioned here, and I'll add Elderly Instruments to the list too. Although, if you can find what you want at one of the smaller places like Uke Republic or Mim's, I think I would go there. For your $200 budget you can get a very decent instrument. I think I'd be looking at Kala personally. If you decide to go with a tenor or soprano, then I also recommend the Outdoor Ukulele if you're good with a more durable worry-free instrument made of polycarbonate in the USA. Both come in well under your budget.

I hope you find a uke that works well for you and enjoy it greatly!

Last edited:
The size is by what you are comfortable with, the music is the same for all of them. I would strongly suggest checking with Mim's Ukes, she's great to deal with and will give you the best advice you can get, she's in Virginia. Her web site, http://mimsukes.com, you can call her, email her or just stop by the shop.

My personal opinion, having first bought a tenor, then a soprano, then concert - get a concert scale uke as your first - I basically spent the first 6 months with that size, & it's a pretty good tone if you want to try low G. :)

My personal opinion, having first bought a tenor, then a soprano, then concert - get a concert scale uke as your first - I basically spent the first 6 months with that size, & it's a pretty good tone if you want to try low G. :)

This is also my experience. I went Soprano then Tenor then Concert, but I ended up with the same conclusion.

I went to a small guitar shop near where I'm visiting and played the soprano, concert, and baritone. I love the baritone. I'm heading home tomorrow and am stopping at a place that has the baritone and the guitalele to make sure I know what I want. I appreciate everyone helping me narrow my choices down. What a great group!

Top Bottom