What Musical Gifts Did You Get

I have a Compass Rose baritone scale ukulele that is tuned GCEA an octave lower than tenor ukulele. Rick Turner calls it an "octave ukulele" and he has one for sale at Gryphon Stringed Instruments from time to time. I plan to tune one of my Kamaka baritones up, so that it's the same octave as a tenor uke. I've heard that a baritone tuned like a tenor can sound more resonant because of the longer scale and larger lower bout.

I don't understand how you tuned your baritone "GCEA an octave lower than tenor ukulele." What did you use for the low CEA?

But I'm an old guy, and I get confused easily. :eek:ld:

I gave myself a gift.
I built this cookie tin ukuleleHoliday Ukulele .jpg

Izotope Ozone Advanced/Neutron Advanced Bundle - Mastering/Mixing software. Actually got it a bit before Christmas to finish our new album with. Amazing software!

Thanks. It has a really unique sound.
Sort of like a steel drum when you pluck it.

My wife got me The Martin Ukulele by Tom Walsh and John King. It is great. It is big like a sheet music book, glossy and with lots of photos. I recommend it.

If Martin does an anniversary model next year, that will be hard to resist.

i got that book last year for Christmas. It is an excellent read!

This year she got me Eddie Vedder's Ukulele Songs Songbook. It is pretty neat. Aside from "traditional" chords he also lists the chord variations he uses in some of his songs for different voicings.

i got that book last year for Christmas. It is an excellent read!

This year she got me Eddie Vedder's Ukulele Songs Songbook. It is pretty neat. Aside from "traditional" chords he also lists the chord variations he uses in some of his songs for different voicings.

The Martin book, I agree! I see you already have a piece of that history with your 20s 0. That is awesome. So from the book yours would be after their peak year of 25, yet they were still selling thousands of 0s in the late 20s. It is great that yours is one that survived!

The Martin book, I agree! I see you already have a piece of that history with your 20s 0. That is awesome. So from the book yours would be after their peak year of 25, yet they were still selling thousands of 0s in the late 20s. It is great that yours is one that survived!

I will admit, it was the book that lit the flame to find a vintage Martin. I was able to get a nice one without any cracks. I still keep my eye out for others, but I am quite happy with the one I have. Maybe a Koa one.... Hmmmm....

I received a Capo.

Christmas came all year long in 2016 for me ... it was a very good year.

My husband gave me an Ohana SK-08 O’Nino Sopranissimo that has been on my wish list since it came out. I'm loving the cute little thing! I named him Hans after the character on the Todd Browning movie, "Freaks". I also got a hard case for the Ohana sopranino I had and a bunch of different types of strings to try throughout the year. It was a good Christmas! :)

I got a rock.

Well, actually, no I didn't. That was Hallowe'en.

I got nothing related to music, but did get out to Los Gatos to see my Mother-in-law, and got out to play with the San Jose Ukulele Club at their Sunday jam at the New Almaden Clubhouse - It was great seeing Gillian again.

Otherwise, no gifts, and that's just fine.

I don't understand how you tuned your baritone "GCEA an octave lower than tenor ukulele." What did you use for the low CEA?

But I'm an old guy, and I get confused easily. :eek:ld:

Back around end of 2013 or start of 2014 when Rick Turner was still actively posting here on UU, there were about a half dozen threads discussing string choices for an 'octave uke'. i.e., ~baritone scale with linear GCEA tuning, as in G2-C3-E3-A3, and IIRC the strings most folks favored were the extra hard tension Savarez classical guitar strings, silverplated copper wound strings, as in the EADG strings from one of the 'RED CARD' or 'GOLD CARD' Savarez classical guitar string sets.

I was able to work out a re-entrant octave uke setup using the Thomastik-Infeld chrome flatwound strings as per below, and had the minstalled on a 20" scale baritone for a while:

G3 - 0.027" -Thomastik-Infled string # CF27
C3 - 0.035" -Thomastik-Infled string # CF35
E3 - 0.030" -Thomastik-Infled string # CF30
A3 - 0.027" -Thomastik-Infled string # CF27

I TRIED linear tuning, but the only string thicker that T-I makes is the CF45, 0.045", and tuned to a G2 note was floppy, had a tubby sound and did not intonate well, likely due to only having about 8lbs of string tension, when ideally you'd need at least 11-12 lbs of string tension for that note, and by not intonate well, I mean that even at the 1st and 12th fret it was 20 cents sharp, which to my ears is completely unusable.

Hope this helps. :)

I got this beautiful silver ostrich skin case for my uke, but I haven't figured out how to play a tune on the damn thing. I get lots of compliments on it, and the cats love sleeping on it.

I got (or bought for myself..I only get gift certs these times have changed) some music books. A few classical uke books by Mizen and John King.
Also a HenleVerlag urtext Mozart sonatas volume 1 always wanted it.

My gift from my beloved wife was a contribution towards my new fiddle.

It's the instrument at which I am least accomplished so the real gift is her encouragement and tolerance despite the gawdawful noise she has to tolerate as I try to emulate Ketch Secor's fiddle part from 'Wagon Wheel'...

Over the years she's put up with 'ukulele, various guitars, bass, tin whistle, bodhran, djembe, harmonica, banjo, mandolin, bazouki and violin. I don't deserve her.

I treated myself to a baritone uke. Like D-U-D it was at a ridiculously low price. Not a particularly well known brand but well made and with good tone and intonation. My daughter gave me some money towards it for Christmas and an Amazon voucher for my Birthday. I also got an Amazon Voucher from my Dad so they will probably go on something musical. Last year I spent the Amazon Vouchers from family on a Boss Vocal Performer which, though I haven't used it a lot I have found useful, especially the harmony function.

My gift from my beloved wife was a contribution towards my new fiddle.

It's the instrument at which I am least accomplished so the real gift is her encouragement and tolerance despite the gawdawful noise she has to tolerate as I try to emulate Ketch Secor's fiddle part from 'Wagon Wheel'...

Over the years she's put up with 'ukulele, various guitars, bass, tin whistle, bodhran, djembe, harmonica, banjo, mandolin, bazouki and violin. I don't deserve her.

They say love is blind.........apparently it is deaf as well. Me wife is also extremely tolerant of my "noise making" .

Last edited:
They say love is blind.........apparently it is deaf as well. Me wife is also extremely tolerant of my "noise making" .

We are very, very lucky, mate. I have a drummer friend who gets nothing but stress from his missus. LOL.

Top Bottom