Shopping Plans for 2017 -- what's on your list?

I'll probably need some more Irish Whisky. Or maybe some more Dewar's Scotch. It helps my singin'.

I'd like to try some single malt, but it's expensive, and I don't know if I'd like it. :eek:ld:

Woah, single malt is definitely what you should be buying. Blended stuff is nowhere near as nice!

Sorry to go back off topic, but life is too short for sub-par whisk(e)y. Plus, it pairs well with playing ukulele!

That said, I am not a wealthy man. I can't go buying $200 bottles of the stuff.

But in the midrange, for single malt Irish whiskey, I like Bushmill, 16 year.

For single malt Highland Scotch whisky, Dalmore, 12 year. I prefer Highland Scotch (slightly fruitier with overtones of vanilla and bitter chocolate) usually over Lowland Scotch (often blended, drier, hints of leather, peat, campfires) but Buchanan's 12 year is good along those lines.

I thought I had my UAS under control- indeed did for several months. Now reading about Blackbird ukes and in particular the newer Farallon I'm smitten again. Will be posting one or two ukes in the marketplace soon to help fund the Farallon.

I'm searching for the antidote to UAS. Meanwhile, I ordered a custom 14-fret Hive. And loving my Farallon...

I have a 16" Ono that will be delivered in 2017. My only other plan was to re-home the ukuleles that are not getting enough love from me. But you know what they say about the best laid plans... I was looking at Facebook and Mike (of Uke Republic) posted pictures of some Fleas he got in stock and UAS took hold and I am now the proud owner of a new concert scale flea. Now that is it!! Really... it is... until the next time...

16388394_1371608282860981_3727095606166018144_n.jpg16473319_1371608266194316_4760343646098332742_n.jpg

I'm planning to do a lot more selling than buying. I have ukuleles that are wonderful instruments that I just don't play anymore because I play even more wonderful instruments instead, and those unplayed instruments deserve homes where they'll get more attention than I can give them.

Aye to that ^.

Big dreams + small funds = setting oneself up for disappointment.

Once I clear the herd some, and repay some debts, if there's any left over, I have a wish-list which I'll re-prioritize when the time comes, otherwise, all the drooling and yearning just makes me depressed, and none of it makes me a better player.

If I invest in ANYTHING, it will be for private lessons so I can up my game to the next level, whatever that is...:music:

yes, quoting myself to add...

I'd like to think that if I were to win the big Mega Lottery, once all debts are paid and my family is taken care of, that I would like to buy each UU member one uke, whatever is their 'Holy Grail' uke...and at least when I'm gone, I might be remembered kindly and with esteem.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on enjoying my Fluke and Flea ukes.

I'm searching for the antidote to UAS.

I had what guitar heads call GAS which can stand for either 'Guitar' or 'Gear' Acquisition Syndrome. I had the latter. Acoustic and electric guitars, multiple ones...6 and 12 strings. Basses out the wazoo (bass was my main instrument) including upright acoustic, enough amp rig equipment to fill a small storage unit, some analog synths, old drum machines, a dresser drawer full of effects pedals, countless string sets, picks, straps, cords and cables...

It became more of a chore than a pleasure just owning it all. Maintenance, storage, deciding what to play, dialing to find the right sounds, cord shorts out here, dead battery there, sheesh. I have a family and full time plus job.

Anyways, it can get bad. Now I just grab a uke and play. Not having all the electronic tech accessories necessary (though I'm all for electric ukes!)...it's been very, very liberating.

I love coming here and seeings people's babies, celebrating NUDs. It's wonderful there are so many excellent luthiers and players.

I stray. Apologies. What cured UAS for me (15 ukes was what I got up to in 2003) is A) Lack of leisure spendy cash, and B) Just buckling down and playing. Enjoying and getting the most out of what I have.

I don't resent or judge anyone if they want to buy a new expensive uke every month. That's great. Ukuleles are beautiful things. There are true, heirloom works of art out there. I enjoy them vicariously!

I'd like to think that if I were to win the big Mega Lottery, once all debts are paid and my family is taken care of, that I would like to buy each UU member one uke, whatever is their 'Holy Grail' uke...and at least when I'm gone, I might be remembered kindly and with esteem.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on enjoying my Fluke and Flea ukes.

Booli, no need to give us all ukes to be remembered fondly. You won't be forgotten by me unless I become senile enough to forget who I am....
But if you ever feel rich and generous....
LOL

That's a beautiful thought, but we'd rather have you here man.

Wow Booli that put a tear into my eye. I'm serious.
I love uke people everyone in the world should own one, world will truly be a better place.

I'd like to think that if I were to win the big Mega Lottery, once all debts are paid and my family is taken care of, that I would like to buy each UU member one uke, whatever is their 'Holy Grail' uke.

That would be so fun!

I would like to buy some good classical music soprano uke instruction. Learning on my own has been unwieldy.

Have you tried Rob MacKillop? He has published a number of excellent music books and offers individual lessons via Skype and Facetime. He has a background in classical guitar and lute but is also a ukulele enthusiast. The first music I bought when I started a few months ago was his 20 Easy Fingerstyle Studies for ukulele - I absolutely love it. The link includes some demos by him. He's playing a tenor because he has big hands but it is tuned re-entrant.

I hope to get some lessons from him some time but my computer is so old that Skype doesn't work. On the other hand I am within reasonably easy reach of his home in Edinburgh, so.....

In early January, I ordered myself a Cordoba Mini M guitalele from theukulelesite.com. It arrived last week and I've been playing it a lot ever since.

I have it tuned to Taropatch C (G-C-G-C-E-G) and play ki ho'alu on it. It's a truly wonderful instrument to play, and being small, it makes it really convenient to take to work with me to play on my breaks. I've had quite a few positive comments on its sound too.

If you're thinking of getting a guitalele, I can highly recommend these.

Cordoba Mini M.jpg

@ Griffis, Nickie & Debussy

Thanks so much for the kind words. \nnn/

I definitely have some ukes to sell, but I also have some ukes I can't ever imagine parting with. So I definitely need to sell more than shop this year. But I have a list of very specific ukes that if the right opportunity came along, I would likely jump on it: a Moore Bettah, a Grimes, a Blackbird Clara, possibly a TODA, Kiwaya Master KMC-K and possibly a Laughlin 5K.

Although it wasn't on my pre-determined listed, I played a Takumi Honduran mahogany concert at NAMM that really, really struck me. So much so that I kept going back to it. NAMM is not a great place to get a truly great perspective on tone, but from what I could tell I had an inkling it was a truly exceptional instrument. It arrived to HMS yesterday and Andrew confirmed how really nice it is. Looking forward to receiving it! And here is a link to Corey's demo on the HMS Vimeo channel:

https://vimeo.com/202900214

For those of you looking to add, I still have a Kiwaya KTS-5, Martin 2K non-vintage (they don't make them anymore!), a vintage 2K, and a Covered Bridge WRC/flamed koa concert that need loving homes where they will be played more often.

Last edited:
I started the year thinking I might want to either get a Baritone or get a cedar topped Tenor. My two best ukes are all solid acacia tenors. A week ago I picked up an all solid mahogany Baritone. I really like it and have been enjoying the challenge of learning which chord shapes go with which chords. Now I may trade one of my tenors for a cedar topped Baritone.

Top Bottom