Psychological price point divider line

igorthebarbarian

Reaction score
Mine is $500 - and it used to be $300...
Meaning anything over that price point and I'll freak out/obsess that it's too nice/it's not worth the money/I won't play it enough/I just can't justify it.
But going under that price point, there are not nearly as many worries or thoughts or concerns. Just stockpile up!
Weird, right?
I'm sure others have different price points/ dividing lines, right?

Last edited:
Me too, now that I think about it.

$500 is a painful price threshold for me to think about and justify, mostly for financial reasons, because I do not have that much cash sitting in a pile that would not be better allocated for living expenses...or other higher-priority burdens.

However, at $200 or even $300 there is less stress and something that fits the 'maybe I can do it' if I finagle this, and that...

There's also the fact that I have been curious about 2-3 ukes that are all $1000-$2000, and if I spent money on a lesser uke, instead of saving up, then I will never have the funds for those higher-end ukes...

There's also the paranoia factor, which may be imagined/self-inflicted, i.e., if I buy a $1500 uke, will I feel safe taking it out of the house, knowing that if damaged/stolen it may be YEARS before I can replace it, as well as the OCD thinking about proper humidification...and the stress that comes with that starts to burden me, in that it detracts from whatever pleasure I might get from such an instrument that I will obsessively worry about all the time.

I feel a lot better with a Fluke, Flea, Mainland, Ohana or Kala etc., in that they are almost commoditized as well as easier to replace financially...

But like I said, maybe I'm just overly paranoid.

Also, with my luck, the day after I receive the instrument, our furnace will die, or major car repairs needed and I currently do not have an emergency fund, which if I am logical and acting like a responsible adult, should have that big money stored away to cover most of these kinds of things, and only THEN, if I can get some extra, MAYBE think about a fancy uke...

Yes, I think too much. I should just play and be happy with the nice ukes that I already have.

At first mine were $200 and under, then I played a Kala solid cedar top and bought it for $375. I casually compared it to the $1000+ K brands and felt that they were not 3 times better than my Kala. Then I decided to have customs made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam, which ran between $400 to $700, all which were way under the prevailing custom rates in North America.

Then I started playing and accumulating bass ukes, the most expensive was $395, most under $200, but I would do various modifications, which raised the costs, in one case to a total of $940. Funny, just yesterday I thought back on how much I spent on ukes in the last three years, around $3500, but now that I have 7 ukes and 14 bass ukes, I should focus my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) elsewhere.

So I decided not to buy any more instruments, but save up to replace my two DSLR Nikon D300s cameras with two D500 (I'm the staff photographer for the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic, Legal Voices Chorus and Big Band of Barristers). I figure if I'm frugal enough, I should be able to do that in about 6 months.

I've had cheaper and more expensive instruments, and I found myself most comfortable with those that cost around $250-500. Cheaper, and you usually have to make sacrifices in craftsmanship and quality of the material (tuners, etc.). More expensive, and I start fretting over damaging it and feel the need to baby it, which takes out the spontaneity of making music. I feel that instruments are tools, not collectibles (to me), and tools get used and will suffer wear. But if I have a $1500 instrument, that is hard to make peace with, and just knowing that a) I couldn't effortlessly replace it if it broke and b) that every scratch and ding lowers its resale value, just takes the fun out of it, for me.

What really is important is the set up. I wouldn't be happy with an instrument that is 30 cents sharp in the 12th fret, or one that buzzes or that hurts my fingers. More expensive instruments are less prone to these issues out of the box, whereas cheaper instruments tend to need some extra work. I'm not "handy", so I'm not confident doing set up work myself. That was part of the reason why I ended up with some (by my financial standards) expensive instruments in the $1200-1500 range. I now only have one of those (the Barron River tenor) and it took me over a year to get over the "fear" of damaging it. My learning and enjoyment improved once I lost that fear. My other ukes are all less expensive than that, though none are entry level models, just around the sweet spot mentioned above.

When I decided to buy a short-scale guitar (my first one), I deliberately only looked for candidates that have laminated back and sides (but a solid top, which is important to me), because I wanted to be able to leave it out on a stand in a "normal" room that I'm in also. My theory was that if it's always in reach and can be picked up easily, I'll also play it more. That turned out to be the case. I still handle it with care, but since it was $400 instead of $1500+, I use it like an instrument, not like an investment or a piece of art. Not that $400 isn't a sizable amount of money, but it's a sum that I know I can get together again if something happens to it. That's different with larger sums. Then again, this probably depends on one's financial situation. If I made 10k a month, or generally had more "fun money" than I currently do, my perspective may be different.

That guitar showed me something else, too. (I use it as an example because I only have one guitar, but six ukes, and I have gone through 13 or 14, so the experiences with them are less defined and less present in my mind.) It showed me that if you put time into research, specify exactly what you want (and why you want it), and resist the temptation to impulse-buy, you can actually get an instrument that isn't merely a compromise or just a "this will do until I upgrade" settlement, but something that actually leaves you without a desire for something "better". That hit me the other night when I was talking about this with my partner about material desires and how to have them in a positive way (in a way that doesn't feel bad or results in disappointment, a sort of enjoyable "wanting without wanting").

I tried to come up with a good way of expressing my thoughts and wanted to use my guitar as something that i enjoy and am happy with, while still also having a desire for another "better" guitar. And I couldn't think of a way to put that. Then, a few hours later, I realized that there was a simple answer for this: I'm actually satisfied with the instrument and don't really have a desire for something else. That sounds super trivial, but it was still insightful for myself, because with ukuleles before I always had something else I wanted, always a "I like what I have, but if I could have THAT other uke, then I'd be complete!" thought going through my head. It felt nice actually being satisfied, really satisfied, with something in a way that leaves me unable to say what I would like to be different or better about it. I may still upgrade some day, but not before I actually know how it would benefit me or my musical journey.

Anyway! I definitely think that mid-range instruments are a great choice that likely offer the best value for one's money, while also giving peace of mind. I wouldn't want an instrument that I feel gets in the way of learning or makes learning unnecessarily hard. And with more expensive instruments there are diminishing returns in terms of playability and sound, and increasingly more worrying about upkeep and maintenance (as well as retention of value). At least that is how it is for me. Mileage may vary, as always. :)

Thank you Booli - you have captured my mindset perfectly! Well said.

Me too, now that I think about it.

$500 is a painful price threshold for me to think about and justify, mostly for financial reasons, because I do not have that much cash sitting in a pile that would not be better allocated for living expenses...or other higher-priority burdens.

However, at $200 or even $300 there is less stress and something that fits the 'maybe I can do it' if I finagle this, and that...

There's also the fact that I have been curious about 2-3 ukes that are all $1000-$2000, and if I spent money on a lesser uke, instead of saving up, then I will never have the funds for those higher-end ukes...

There's also the paranoia factor, which may be imagined/self-inflicted, i.e., if I buy a $1500 uke, will I feel safe taking it out of the house, knowing that if damaged/stolen it may be YEARS before I can replace it, as well as the OCD thinking about proper humidification...and the stress that comes with that starts to burden me, in that it detracts from whatever pleasure I might get from such an instrument that I will obsessively worry about all the time.

I feel a lot better with a Fluke, Flea, Mainland, Ohana or Kala etc., in that they are almost commoditized as well as easier to replace financially...

But like I said, maybe I'm just overly paranoid.

Also, with my luck, the day after I receive the instrument, our furnace will die, or major car repairs needed and I currently do not have an emergency fund, which if I am logical and acting like a responsible adult, should have that big money stored away to cover most of these kinds of things, and only THEN, if I can get some extra, MAYBE think about a fancy uke...

Yes, I think too much. I should just play and be happy with the nice ukes that I already have.

I love this thread and only regret that I am answering it at a Jimmy John's on my phone during lunch without my reading glasses. The threshold is going to change based upon your income and playing ability.

I have been playing less than a year and have made great progress. I am not Jake, but I do have degrees in music and can "really" sing and play tuba. As I had to learn all the main band/orchestra instruments as well as guitar and recorder in college, I ought to pick up ukulele quicker than the average bear. So now I can play in any jam, am arranging for ukulele, and am making progress in fingerstyle. It has been a great year musically for me on a personal level.

When I bought my first ukulele at $85 in January I thought that was a big enough expense because I couldn't play and I still didn't think of the ukulele as a legitimate instrument (that changed, as you can tell). I couldn't see spending $500 or $1000 (or more) for a ukulele.

Now I can, and will, pick up just about any ukulele and play. I no longer am intimidated by costlier ukuleles, but I now appreciate them. That said, there are bargains to be found if you are willing to buy something other than a K brand.

Remember, I am also a tubist. I am pretty sure my very basic BBb Rotary Tuba is worth more than any single ukulele in your collection (not bragging--adding perspective). If I was a bassoonist, $8,000 is an entry level instrument. What I am saying is that you can take the most expensive ukulele and it will still be less than the equivalent top-of-the-line model for any other instrument. Those of you with significant others, try that argument the next time you suffer from UAS.

I feel like I might be an outsider on this issue. I certainly don't want to come across as a snob or bragert. But you did ask the question so I will give an honest answer. First a disclamer......I am 59 years old, the kids have moved out, we have been mortgage free and debt free for many years. My wife and I have good paying jobs, we live modestly and well belows our means.

My barrier has grown over the years as I have bought increasingly expensive instruments. It really did take me a couple years to get comfortable with anything over $1000.00. I have two ukes that are over $3000.00, one being a LfdM that I have starting taking out to perform with. I never thought I would take it out of the house. But it is my best sounding and easiest playing uke and that REALLY helps with the nerves while performing live.

The expensive ukes have gone from "objects of desire" to instruments that were made to perform with and make music on. It took me a long time to get to that point but I feel very liberated by it.

As Choirguy said above many other instruments are so much more. I have a friend who plays double upright bass, he tells me a good one can be $20,000 or more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom