Do I need a Soprano/concert?

kafkapenguin

Reaction score
Aloha....after a lengthy hiatus I'm back strumming again and just ordered a new Tenor, so I will now have two. I love the sound of a Tenor and have an affinity for darker sounds, but I'm wondering if I need to add a voice to my stable. I'm feeling the tides of UAS pulling at me and looking for sensible advice. Having never played a Soprano I'm just not sure. Isn't one voicing enough? Is there something I'm missing out on by not having a Soprano?

Yes you're missing out on portability and that authentic sound of songs from the first half of the last century. If neither of those interest you, on the other hand, maybe you're not.

Hard to imagine not having my vintage Martin and Kamaka sopranos. I prefer concert size, but have all three sizes and seem to be able to switch between them easily.

Sounds to me you would be better served by getting a baritone, (soprano & concert will give you a higher/lighter sound/tone). ;)

Might as well go for a tenor guitar, then. ;)

Yes, I think every ukulele player can benefit from a soprano. Portability, authenticity, and (I feel) the best choice for strumming. Plus it helps with learning to play more precisely. I like sopranos, they're fun!

Yes you're missing out on portability and that authentic sound of songs from the first half of the last century. If neither of those interest you, on the other hand, maybe you're not.

What Jim said. I love my baritone and play it probably 60% of the time. But for grab and go, it's my soprano. Also some songs just really want it's special voice.

Couldn't agree more! The soprano is, after all, the original voice of the ukulele!

Thanks for all the input one and all. I'm convinced! Dreaded UAS is taking hold. lol (next I'll have to get a Baritone) oh no!

PS: Anyone have a nice little Soprano/Concert for sale? ;)

cheers!

Last edited:
If you can't decide on a soprano or concert, how about a long neck, aka super soprano? Check out Kala's KA SLNG, KA KSLNG, or KA SSLNG. (Laminate mahogany, laminate koa, solid spruce top, respectively.) Best of both worlds IMO! Here's Mim's video review:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YToJZJpa8-c

In my mind, you can't go wrong with a concert size. They still have that "punch" of a soprano, but they have sustain more like a tenor. Easier for me to play too!

Thanks for all the input one and all. I'm convinced! Dreaded UAS is taking hold. lol (next I'll have to get a Baritone) oh no!

PS: Anyone have a nice little Soprano/Concert for sale? ;)

cheers!

I have a few ukes that might be of interest (prices shipped - PM for further details and/or pics):

Kiwaya KTS-5 soprano, $450
Martin 2K soprano (non-vintage), $825
Covered Bridge, cedar/flamed koa concert, $750

Once you accept The Inevitability of UAS you will realize that it is easier to submit than to resist.

"Resistance is futile."

Yes, my name is Booli and I am a willful enabler of UAS.

I always find that there is a real sweetness to the sound of a soprano that has a really unique charm.

Anything larger than a soprano is cheating .

Yes, a Soprano will definitely add a different voice. One that many people will recognize as the "true" Ukulele sound. However, with your preference for a "darker" sound, you might be better off with a Baritone, as has been suggested. That will give you a completely different voice, too. Nothing wrong with having both voices at hand, though. Personally, I came to find that a Concert is really "somewhere in between", and if it is a distinct voice you want, it may not be different enough.

Of COURSE you do!

(Lets face it, you wouldnt be asking THAT question around here if you didnt want to get one. So go for it!) :)

Of course . . .

I think the Soprano sounds better tuned to D (UK/Canadian) or even Eb than it does in C, and I have my tuned to "Open G" which is a fun tuning (d' g' b' d'')

Top Bottom