E Chord Practice songs

Gammo

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm trying to tackle the dreaded E chord and wondered if any of you can suggest some good practice songs. I always find learning songs is the best way to practice. Having read Sticky's thread, I'm going with the 1402 version of the E chord. Just need to put it into action.

Hi all. I'm trying to tackle the dreaded E chord and wondered if any of you can suggest some good practice songs. I always find learning songs is the best way to practice. Having read Sticky's thread, I'm going with the 1402 version of the E chord. Just need to put it into action.

Hate to be a damp squib in this season of festivity, but I have to ask the question ... "WHY?"

Awkward keys are why capos were invented. For the same reason guitarists stay away from the key of B ... it's uncomfortable to play easily.

Put a capo on the second fret, play using D shapes and get on with life ... :music:

Hate to be a damp squib in this season of festivity, but I have to ask the question ... "WHY?"

Awkward keys are why capos were invented. For the same reason guitarists stay away from the key of B ... it's uncomfortable to play easily.

Put a capo on the second fret, play using D shapes and get on with life ... :music:

I get what you're saying and most of the time, that would be my solution - or have a uke in ADF#B tuning. However, sometimes the E chord just can't be avoided. Occasionally if the song calls for an E chord you might get away with an E7 but there are times when only an E chord will do. A combination of age and small hands means I have never really found a comfortable way of playing either 1402 which is just too much of a stretch for me or 4442 which again, I have tried all sorts of ways of trying to finger it and not really found one that's satisfactory. If I have to play E, I either use 4447 which simply means putting a bar across the 4th fret and your pinky three frets further up. This is also moveable - 3336 give Eb and 2227 D. or if it's a bit of a quickie change, I play 444x - bar or three fingers on the 4th fret and mute the A string by resting the pinkie lightly on it.

Try putting your first finger on second fret first string then put your 3rd finger on the 4th fret on the e&c string then your 2nd finger on the 4th of the g string. I find that really easy.

Go here: chordie.com

Find any song you like.

Transpose it to the key of E.
Spot on, just put a song in the key of E and play it. My personal attitude is to learn to play the E chord and quit calling it dreaded. It is just another chord. It is a D chord moved up the neck a couple of frets. Yes, you have to stick a finger down there on the A string. Big deal. The thing is, the E is not going to be the hardest chord that you will to run into, might as well learn to buckle down and learn how to do things.

Last edited:
Never talk politics, religion or the e chord. I think it's the only thing that could cause a brawl at a ukulele festival (that and talking about straps). This is why I want to learn it so much.

I'm going for the 1402 because its the only one that I can even get to sound like a chord. Practice, practice, practice.

I do have to admit...every time I am at a jam where chord functions (I or 1, 5-7 or V7, etc.) are used, and someone asks, "What key should we do this in?" I always say, "E!!!"

People generally ignore me.

Slightly off topic but related to the discussion of playing in E...

I *usually* prefer playing B7 as 4320 (BD#F#A) versus 2322 (AD#F#B)...it doesn't make much harmonic difference as both chords are in the second inversion. But when I play a B7 going to Em...B7 with 4320 is an easier transition to Em 0432

However, as shown by zztush, if you play E (major) as 1402 or 4447, B7 as 2322 is easier.

I find the 4442 version of E the hardest to play because my middle, ring, and pinky fingers don't like being so close together. When I play D (2220) I usually play in a pyramid like G7. There's only so much space there! :D

A great song to practice that E is "My Favorite Things." In my own arrangement in Em, the third verse ("Girls in White Dresses") is lead into by a B7...and then you have to play E instead of an Em. Shortly thereafter the song returns to its minor key.

Last edited:
A great song to practice that E is "My Favorite Things." In my own arrangement in Em, the third verse ("Girls in White Dresses") is lead into by a B7...and then you have to play E instead of an Em. Shortly thereafter the song returns to its minor key.

Yes. I play same as you. It sounds very nice.

"My Favorite Things."
upload pictures

I'll put a vote in for Oh Darling by The Beatles as a good practice song... and just a great song generally :)

I can personally play the 4442 without any bother but the 1402 drives me nuts, the 4447 isn't too bad but certain combinations make stumble.

C Am F G7 goes
E C#m A B7 and to be honest thats as far as I'm competent to play in E

I don't find the E chord comes up all that often for me so I don't give it regular attention. For me the most common PITA is actually D to Em I'm drowning in Drunken Sailors and Waheyed till nothing rises up in the morning .

Last edited:
Top Bottom